Dumbarton V Ayr United 18/2/17

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Meggatt at that first goal, absolute heads gone moment backing off as he thought Harkins was closing him down :lol:

The goal was mainly the fault of the midfield as they didn't track their runners, (not sure where Rose or Adams were and Harkins was knackered after about 50 minutes playing in that position) however Meggatt could have came out quicker as he didn't seem to be marking at that point.

Well done to the Ayr fans that stayed till the end I was amazed at how many had bolted earlier.
Excluding the last few minutes, that was a really enjoyable game. Some of the best football I've seen the Sons play this season, maybe not enough shots on target but the passing and movement was good. So well done to Stevie and the boys.
Stanton goal outstanding a great build up , a great run and finish, just pipped Stirling for MOTM.
Loved The Prince "gently nudging" Harkins twice off the ball. I'm not sure what a foul is any more. Harkins still got huge amount of talent,pity he couldn't get fitter. Would be a close race between him and the Ayr Physio.
Sore lesson in closing out a game but let's hope they can put it behind them quickly as I think we are going to need to take points away from home from the likes of Falkirk.

2 hours ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

IMG_1487484795.747451.jpg

Are we talking about the same thing here?

That's after his boot caught Boyle, take the picture when Boyle gets his boot on it, at that point Nade is two feet away with both feet off the ground.

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Do you not think if that tackle was such a shocker and worthy of a red, the Ayr players would've been all over the ref much in the same way our players were for Dochertys red, especially seen as you were down to 10 men? Virtually none of the players close to that tackle react at all to it, everyone gets up and gets on with the game. 

I've certainly not claimed it's a shocker, tackles don't need to be shockers today, I don't even agree with them all being reds but I don't frame the laws of the game.

He's off the ground with no attempt to get the ball, surely if he was in control and not deserving of a red the ball would have been a valid target.
Docherty was off the ground, nowhere near the player with his right foot that got the ball, wiped the guy out at pace with his left leg and everything else apart from his right foot.

Agree it was a cowards tackle not a hardman's tackle - Stirling had nowhere to go and Docherty knew that he could have a free whack without any real risk of personal injury.

1 hour ago, itzdrk said:

4 minutes into the highlights.  The Dumbarton sub who isnt Vaughn heads off for a pish in the corner

20170219_134348.png

Could be Ross McCrorie.

Note that he is still viewing the goalmouth action though.

Kler Heh used to also favour that spot behind the floodlight power box too.

I was looking forward to seeing the Ayr claim for a penalty that came from a corner or cross (can't remember which it was), but neither highlights package shows it. The reaction from their players was so vehement it suggested that someone had handled it. I think McCall also referenced it in his interview. The other penalty claim I'm assuming was from a shot just outside the box that struck Carswell?

Irrespective of whether the foul leading up to the free kick was soft or not, I thought our wall was set up poorly. I'm not a goalkeeping expert, but I also wonder if Martin's positioning was wrong, and should have been standing a step or two further to his left? I also think that the free kick might have clipped Buchanan on its way through, which maybe explains why Martin doesn't move.

I also think that it's a foul for Ayr's penalty. A bit disappointing that someone as experienced as Darren Barr makes that challenge. Cracking tackle by Devlin on Thomson in the build up though.

Very disappointing, to put it mildly, that we couldn't be a bit more composed in added time and secure the win, effectively dropping three points on Ayr between the 91st and 93rd minutes.

I also thought we could have pressed home our advantage more after going two up and looked to have added another goal or more. We were a bit guilty at times of not moving the ball quickly enough and/or taking too many touches.

Still, there were lots of good elements to our play, but it just feels completely overshadowed at the moment by the last two or three minutes of the game.  Hopefully we learn a few lessons from this and use what feels like a massive missed opportunity to spur us on.

"Football, she's a cruel mistress."

1 hour ago, Rjc-1988 said:

Agree it was a cowards tackle not a hardman's tackle - Stirling had nowhere to go and Docherty knew that he could have a free whack without any real risk of personal injury.

Ex Player Ross Scott would have made the the tackle at the same sort of speed and came away with the ball, tackling as an art form is disappearing at all levels.

Stupid decision, when has Harkins ever bothered trying to defend.

The grief harkins gets is way over the top. Anyone who thinks his role in the team is to put on a high press, closing players down is seriously missing the point. Especially with ten men!

They were passing it about without going anywhere a few times and some ayr fans want defenders to charge out if position to close everyone down. That's how teams get in for f**k sake.

Sorry tackling at that verocity when the opponent is shielding the ball and with his back to Docherty is reckless, dangerous and with intent to injury. Good tackling is an art and it doesn't have to involve physical assault and a player being halved in two.

In the situation Stirling found himself in it was easy for Docherty to take everything ball,man and turf in an irrational lunge. I have a lot of sympathy for some of the pathetically weak sending off decisions that we see in modern game - but that was 100% correct.

Excellent tackle and build up play by Devlin for Ayr's second, and the one-two with Moore on the deck was sublime....anyway looking forward to back to back home matches against Saint's and Raith...with TWO strikers up front....:thumsup2

The grief harkins gets is way over the top. Anyone who thinks his role in the team is to put on a high press, closing players down is seriously missing the point. Especially with ten men!

They were passing it about without going anywhere a few times and some ayr fans want defenders to charge out if position to close everyone down. That's how teams get in for f**k sake.

He was awful yesterday but McCall hung him out to dry by playing him in that position. He tracked back and made one very good challenge.

Completely agree with the rest. So many of our fans must have been truly awful football players as they chased after the ball like a dog.

He was awful yesterday but McCall hung him out to dry by playing him in that position. He tracked back and made one very good challenge.

Completely agree with the rest. So many of our fans must have been truly awful football players as they chased after the ball like a dog.

We definitely don't seem to be getting the best out of him. He needs a free role, and he needs players making runs ahead of him.

Hopefully El alagui will add some good movement and either mcdaid or Moore can be running off him.

Archived