Dumbarton V Ayr United 18/2/17

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, sonsanorak said:

Oh and how bad was garry harkins? 

It's Gary Harkins!

Let's nip this in the fucking bud now. He doesn't have his name tattooed on his arm because he knows how to spell it correctly.

In amongst all this football pish let's not forget actual issues here!

4 hours ago, albundy said:

What a bizzare game..

Started looking like it could be a decent contest with us just edging it (IMO), then the sending off (and it was a red card offence btw..) changed the game. Ayr sat in two defensive flanks with no intent on taking the game to us, and at half time I thought it would end up 0-0 with our incapacity to make the extra man count.

Staunton's goal seems to have been forgotten in the aftermath, it was a peach and after the second it looked like we where home and dry and Ayr dead in the water. Or so we thought. Credit to Ayr's team spirit that kept them going and there were warning signs with Ayr adamant that they should have had a penalty for handball, if we had just dealt with that free kick better we would have won the game.

We managed to snatch a late 4-4 at Ayr, so maybe karma and all that, but this one might come back to bite us.

Stanton mate, give me strength

Red card looks the same to me as it did at the game, clearly plays the ball first.

I can understand you wouldn't like that if the tackle was directly at an opponent, but he's off to the side and only gets collected by the trailing leg.

Guessing they'll not appeal given he's arguably out of control and overly forceful.

8 minutes ago, Iain said:

Red card looks the same to me as it did at the game, clearly plays the ball first.

I can understand you wouldn't like that if the tackle was directly at an opponent, but he's off to the side and only gets collected by the trailing leg.

Guessing they'll not appeal given he's arguably out of control and overly forceful.

You've got to be trolling. It's a clear cut red. A horrible tackle. That he managed to somehow hit the ball in the split second before sending the guy arse over tit is wholly inconsequential. There was no way he could have been in control of the challenge. 

Docherty's tackle is an absolutely brutal one and without question a red card. It's a mental challenge. I don't want to get all 'only in Scotland', but the worst part is it's in a nothing position and totally unnecessary to the extent that he doesn't need to even get involved.

I have to say, however, how is Nade's all that different? It's a red by exactly the same token (technically) and by the looks of it he knows he's being sent off (although incredibly he isn't). By a lick of paint Docherty's is worse but really they are both clearly reds and I'm not sure how Dumbarton fans were mocking earlier suggestions to the same effect.

Stand out point for me, however, is Stirling is a very good footballer. It's extremely disappointing that given our desperate need for a quality winger for some time, and the fact Stirling has performed very well against us the last couple of seasons, we didn't manage to sign him in the summer.

This thread has now run to 25 pages and if nothing else fair play to Ayr fans for maximising their single season back in the Championship.  Anyone leaving that game today would be forced to conclude that one team is a cohesive footballing unit whilst the other is an exercise in team spirit without the football.  

The league table won't lie in May.

And history has taught us that only game of football is sufficient to judge both teams participating, and all that's needed to conclude the outcome of an entire season.

For that obvious reason I agree with the above post. 

Wasn't there so can only go by the highlights, and I realise they are ours so they might be skewed in our favour.

Doesn't look as if Fleming had much to do despite Dumbarton dominance. Docs tackle was a red, as by the rules he was out of control despite getting the ball first. Ten years ago that would have been deemed hard but fair I think. 

Nade, going by the highlights, looks a bit surprised not to go.

Fair enough with the Sons two goals.

Free kick looks a bit soft, but hey, we'll take it. Looks like Adams was nudged off the ball. The real crime was that Dumbarton didn't close the game out after we scored the first. Thankfully.

Point gained in my opinion.

14 minutes ago, wuffster said:

I try to be even handed but SonsTV highlights are more comprehensive:

No criticism intended mate. Even going by SonsTV it looks as if  Fleming had a reasonably comfortable afternoon. Granted, better finishing might have led to a different story. 

Archived