Dumbarton V Ayr United 18/2/17

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Football pundits, fans and managers love to endlessly watch replays to decide whether the ref made the right call. The ref, on the other hand, gets to see an incident happen once, in real time.

Very true.

And that's why I'll wait until I've seen the highlights to decide if it was the correct decision or not.

However, football fans can wax lyrical about it without repercussions, the referee is paid to get those decisions right, and it's a big call. We'll wait to see if he's got it right or not...

What a bizzare game..

Started looking like it could be a decent contest with us just edging it (IMO), then the sending off (and it was a red card offence btw..) changed the game. Ayr sat in two defensive flanks with no intent on taking the game to us, and at half time I thought it would end up 0-0 with our incapacity to make the extra man count.

Staunton's goal seems to have been forgotten in the aftermath, it was a peach and after the second it looked like we where home and dry and Ayr dead in the water. Or so we thought. Credit to Ayr's team spirit that kept them going and there were warning signs with Ayr adamant that they should have had a penalty for handball, if we had just dealt with that free kick better we would have won the game.

We managed to snatch a late 4-4 at Ayr, so maybe karma and all that, but this one might come back to bite us.

12 minutes ago, sons'r'us said:

You can't be serious re Aitken. The minute he goes I see the start of the decline to lower leagues again. Aitken is a great manager for us and we're lucky to have him.

We'll have to disagree, then. I don't think he's a great manager.

There's no guarantee we'd head for the seaside leagues without him. And no guarantee he'd keep us up either.

The play has been better of late, but only since the Bonnyrigg games. The rest of this season has not been great, and for that I firmly blame the Manager.

A shameless act of burglary right enough from Ayr in the dying embers of a game where they contributed the square root of hee-haw.

Reading some of the comments from Ian McCall and the Ayr fans.

Auld Ayr wham ne'er a town surpasses for people who need a pair o' glasses!

50 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

What are you talking about?

The wind was dominating early on. It was fairly even, with maybe the home team edging it. Then the red.

The game absolutely changed because of the sending off.

The wind vanishing in the second half didn't help us either. Another incident which really hindered us was the Dumbarton defender deliberately injuring McDaid. Although we made a sub this followed by a sending off really knackered our formation later in the game. 

1 minute ago, AyrExile said:

The wind vanishing in the second half didn't help us either. Another incident which really hindered us was the Dumbarton defender deliberately injuring McDaid. Although we made a sub this followed by a sending off really knackered our formation later in the game. 

:lol: Did he, aye?

2 minutes ago, DumbartonTheSons said:

Very true.

And that's why I'll wait until I've seen the highlights to decide if it was the correct decision or not.

However, football fans can wax lyrical about it without repercussions, the referee is paid to get those decisions right, and it's a big call. We'll wait to see if he's got it right or not...

I too felt that when I see the footage both the free kick and penalty will be soft decisions but there was a degree of naivety around our play to allow the question to be asked. We already survived two penalty appeals before this so we should be aware of the danger.It was the free kick that did the damage, Aldo had the wall lined up and knew which area of the goal he had to protect, yet he didn't move for the ball, so it's either a world class strike or the keeper got it wrong, it looked like sloppy defending from where I was sitting but perhaps the highlights will clear that up.

A point suits us far more than it does Ayr. Even if they miraculously win their game in hand they are still a point behind us, having not won in the league since f**k knows when, we shouldn't be anything close to getting into a panic.

Absolutely criminal from us, zero excuses. Today at least highlights that Ayr are utter dugshite and we should have nothing to fear going into the final stretch of the season.

I don't think I've seen us dominate a match so much in my life. Even in the old 3rd division. No amount of WKD fueled posts from the 'Ayr boiz making all the noise' should deflect from that. It's just a shame we absolutely fuckin shat the bed. Stevie needs to get them by the scruff of the neck and make sure they are back at it next week.

What absolute nonsense.
The game was in the balance before Doherty stupidly but correctly got sent off. Then you had lots of possession but created nothing. The goals eventually came but to say that you have never dominated a match so much is bizarre in the extreme.
I agree that you saw nothing today to worry you but likewise I saw nothing to worry us from your lot tbh. To lose a 2 nil lead at home to 10 men against a team below you in the league is criminal.

3 minutes ago, AyrExile said:

We kicked off the first half, which means that Ayr won the toss and choose to play into the wind rather than behind it. I thought that was a bit strange tactic at the time.

What absolute nonsense.
The game was in the balance before Doherty stupidly but correctly got sent off. Then you had lots of possession but created nothing. The goals eventually came but to say that you have never dominated a match so much is bizarre in the extreme.
I agree that you saw nothing today to worry you but likewise I saw nothing to worry us from your lot tbh. To lose a 2 nil lead at home to 10 men against a team below you in the league is criminal.

If you firmly believe the game was 'in the balance' prior to the sending off, it's probably not worth my time even thinking up a suitable response.

Bring back Cowden.

Just now, North Terrace Gazza said:

What absolute nonsense.

To be fair I would say dominating possession, having 14 shots more than you guys (most of them rancid tbf) and spending the game camped in your half was dominant. It was almost Rangers-esque the way we passed it about neatly, had a few decent openings, never really looked in danger and came away with a draw :lol:

2 minutes ago, albundy said:

I too felt that when I see the footage both the free kick and penalty will be soft decisions but there was a degree of naivety around our play to allow the question to be asked. We already survived two penalty appeals before this so we should be aware of the danger.It was the free kick that did the damage, Aldo had the wall lined up and knew which area of the goal he had to protect, yet he didn't move for the ball, so it's either a world class strike or the keeper got it wrong, it looked like sloppy defending from where I was sitting but perhaps the highlights will clear that up.

I thought it was just a lovely free-kick to be honest. The sort of one where you just have to say fair play to the guy. I was more annoyed we conceded it/let Cairney drive forward.

I also can't believe the comments here about Steve Aitken - some borne out of almost withering contempt and others damning with faint praise. Aitken had his budget significantly reduced this season. He is working with a part time squad and doesn't even have a full bench to call on. There's an old London saying about people who place untreal expectations on people which runs "expecting people to do wonders and shit miracles".

Aitken has done pretty well under difficult circumstances and he at least deserves a bit of credit for that.

3 minutes ago, albundy said:

We kicked off the first half, which means that Ayr won the toss and choose to play into the wind rather than behind it. I thought that was a bit strange tactic at the time.

Maybe they didn't expect it to be switched off at half time

2 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

To be fair I would say dominating possession, having 14 shots more than you guys (most of them rancid tbf) and spending the game camped in your half was dominant. It was almost Rangers-esque the way we passed it about neatly, had a few decent openings, never really looked in danger and came away with a draw :lol:

I thought it was just a lovely free-kick to be honest. The sort of one where you just have to say fair play to the guy. I was more annoyed we conceded it/let Cairney drive forward.

Looked a decent strike, I'm expecting a Roberto Carlos styled swerve on the shot though for a keeper of Aldo's quality to not even attempt a save.

We'll have to disagree, then. I don't think he's a great manager.
There's no guarantee we'd head for the seaside leagues without him. And no guarantee he'd keep us up either.
The play has been better of late, but only since the Bonnyrigg games. The rest of this season has not been great, and for that I firmly blame the Manager.

You're old enough to remember all the bad times. Are you willing to take a massive gamble which could lead us back to the abyss?

The last 2 managerial appointments have worked out well for us I struggle to see us getting 3 right. How many bad appointments in a row dis we have before that?

Archived