Dumbarton V Ayr United 18/2/17

Just watched the post match interviews on Ayr utd Tv.

What's McCall rabbiting on about? 'Need to turn away draws into wins'. Not the right kind of comment after that match.

'Down to 10 men for 80%of the game.' Can't do basic arithmetic.

'Stonewall penalty for handball during the 2nd half'. How can he not just admit his team got away with one there?

He was making a general statement about our season. We've had loads of draws both home and away that we could have won.

Who cares about maths, it's boring as f**k.

Never really saw anything due to the players in the box so can't comment

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply
McCall got very lucky today. Who in their right mind signs a natural wide player, plays him up front and then sticks the two slowest players in the league on either wing. Utterly baffling. Needs to get a grip or we are down. The sending off didn't even change anything, the game continued in the exact same way.

What are you talking about?

The wind was dominating early on. It was fairly even, with maybe the home team edging it. Then the red.

The game absolutely changed because of the sending off.

3 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

The wind was dominating early on. It was fairly even, with maybe the home team edging it. Then the red.

A decent post from one of your fellow fans and you continue to post absolute nonsense. We were passing it about well and dominating overall before the sending off made it a bit easier for us.

I knew the wind would get blamed for the first half. It was a gentle breeze. We were utterly awful before the sending off too. Dumbarton were well on top.

8 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

To be fair the wind wasn't actually that strong (certainly by our standards) Fleming's kicking was just God awful. 

Well where to start with that?

At least Dick Turpin wore a mask.

On one hand we utterly bossed that game, totally outplayed our opponents and were well on-track to get an important and well-deserved three points against an utter gang.

On the other hand, it was sheer naivety on the part of our players. Once we'd conceded the goal from the free-kick massively against the run of play (good finish to be fair to the lad Rose), we should have been savvy enough to shut up shop, take the ball to the corners and make a sensible foul in the middle of the park to stop Ayr from breaking on us.

But we didn't do that. We allowed Ayr to come on to us and then the ref gave a penalty. I don't think it was one, but I'll reserve full comment until I've seen the highlights.

The dismissal of Dochery absolutely was a sending-off. Laughable that some Ayr 'boiz' are suggesting anything to the contrary. Only a few seem to actually be able to see it the way it was.

We were the much better side, we're coasting to a massively important victory before we imploded. We dominated for 90mins but because of our inadequacies, we lost two goals in a minute and given the manner of how we conceded, I'm hard-pushed to think we didn't deserve it. So on that note, fair play to Ayr for plugging away against a much better team and getting what must feel like a huge result for them. Thankfully they've not gained anything on us and it's another game gone, but we should be so much more comfortable than we are after that.

Massively learning point for the players, Aitken must be tearing his hair out with them. We were so close to almost confirming safety but now we have games coming up that we've put pressure on ourselves to get something out of.

Really disappointed how this game ended. Feels like a defeat.

I'm very pi$$ed off at the amount of passing we did today, instead of going for the jugular.

Tippy-tippy football doesn't win games, scoring goals does.

Well done Ayr for keeping going to the end. It must've been a hard shift with ten men. However, I got the impression that you didn't need to run all that much as our lot spent at least half an hour fucking around with the tippy-tape stuff, nowhere near the opponents' goalmouth.

I don't just blame the players for the passing game we played. A more ruthless manager would have got the team pressing for more goals, but our tactically inept prat of a Manager didn't appear to encourage them to do that at all during the game.

This summer, I hope we ditch Aitken. He might have been the best available at the time of us hiring him, but he's getting worse again as the weeks go by. 

I'm really starting to feel for CalGal by the way. I thought he looked very decent away at Raith when he came on, yet he can't seem to get a sniff of action at the minute. Replacing Thomson with him at 2-0 would've made more sense than swapping Smith for McCrorie (unless the former had an injury I didn't notice).

I don't just blame the players for the passing game we played. A more ruthless manager would have got the team pressing for more goals, but our tactically inept prat of a Manager didn't appear to encourage them to do that at all during the game.

This summer, I hope we ditch Aitken. He might have been the best available at the time of us hiring him, but he's getting worse again as the weeks go by. 

I know we're all feeling it after this afternoon, but I think for 90 minutes, Aitken got it pretty much nailed.

We attacked Ayr, Stirling gave their defender a rotten time, and we totally dominated from start to finish.

Our cutting edge wasn't as good as it has been of late, but that's little of Aitken's responsibility surely?

I'm blaming our players for lacking the tactical nous and game know-how to see the game out when we were in a strong position. I actually feel for Aitken in what he'd say to the players after that. As has been mentioned, we utterly 'shat the bed' and that's the players and players alone's responsibility I'm afraid.

I'm really starting to feel for CalGal by the way. I thought he looked very decent away at Raith when he came on, yet he can't seem to get a sniff of action at the minute. Replacing Thomson with him at 2-0 would've made more sense than swapping Smith for McCrorie (unless the former had an injury I didn't notice).

I'd have replaced Thommo with Vaughan at that stage, but I take your point. Surely he'd have been a good option to put on when trying to see it out with the only instruction of 'once you get the ball, take it for a walk to the corner'.

17 minutes ago, DumbartonTheSons said:

and then the ref gave a penalty. I don't think it was one, but I'll reserve full comment until I've seen the highlights.

Football pundits, fans and managers love to endlessly watch replays to decide whether the ref made the right call. The ref, on the other hand, gets to see an incident happen once, in real time.

5 minutes ago, DumbartonTheSons said:

I'd have replaced Thommo with Vaughan at that stage, but I take your point. Surely he'd have been a good option to put on when trying to see it out with the only instruction of 'once you get the ball, take it for a walk to the corner'.

Aye, either one would've been fine. The Ayr defence looked absolutely spent, and Thommo doesn't exactly...erm..stretch teams. A wee bit of pace and trickery would've been decent for us against those tired legs - even if it was just to use their pace to take the ball into the corners.

You can't be serious re Aitken. The minute he goes I see the start of the decline to lower leagues again. Aitken is a great manager for us and we're lucky to have him.

Archived