Aberdeen vs Partick Thistle

cilitbang

Never laid a glove on Aberdeen all afternoon and went out of what had been quite a hopeful cup campaign with barely a whimper.

Edwards is undoubtedly a trier but is technically deficient; granted it was a tottie field of a pitch today but his first touch gifted possession away repeatedly. He's fortunate to be getting such a run in the team in my opinion, would be considerably further down my pecking order if Welsh, Bannigan and to a lesser extent Fraser were available.

As ever, whenever I see Barton in midfield, he looks half the player. Wasn't at the races at all, not sure if the knock had anything to do with it.

Aberdeen were the more dominant team so can't really have many complaints about the result. Osman could have nicked an equaliser at the death but I think that would have been quite undeserved.

Focus back on the league and if we were able to finish in the top half, I'd hope we would invest in some of the extra dosh on some genuine attacking alternatives; today really hammered home the complete lack of potency we have available on the bench.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I really wish I hadn't bothered to watch that. Aberdeen were well deserved winners despite being very ordinary, not quite sure just how bad Thistle were. Awful game [emoji33]

The answer was very! C'est la vie, no complaints. Once again failed to turn up for a very winnable game. Aberdeen deserved winners.

Absolutely awful game, I thought Shinnie's goal was very well taken though, didn't have a lot of time or space. Looked like McInnes setup his side perfectly to cancel us out tbh, we never adjusted to that and deserved nothing.

Anyway, well done to the Dons, hopefully you will go on to win it. 

Job done. Not entertaining for the neutral, but frankly I don't care about that. The main thing is we got through and McInnes set us up well for that.

While it restricted McGinn and Hayes a bit playing at wing back, it suited us totally as a team as we were able to match Thistle up and beat them with our better players. Two outstanding saves from Cerny, one in each half, prevented a more comfortable win.

Graeme Shinnie deservedly won man of the match, McLean was good, Stockley did well and Pawlett did alright until the final third. Industrious display with enough to spare. All in all, a good afternoon's work.

Excellent Thistle support too yesterday. Shame that that isn't seen more often at Pittodrie as it would improve atmospheres immeasurably! And that's not just Thistle but most away teams.

Agree with that summation.

Great support up from Thistle - very welcome to see that at Pittodrie - and definitely leads to a better atmosphere as many of our lot get out of their slumber when there's someone to trade tunes/patter with.

Thistle fans must be disappointed though, which is evident by the posts - had travelled across yesterday with a fair degree of trepidation given their form, albeit it was a boost when we heard Hayes was playing (not the first time McInnes has pulled this ruse).  Thought the back three was a risky move, as it required much more defensive discipline from Hayes and McGinn.  The midfield three of McLean, Shinnie and Pawlett did well though - and Stockley should definitely be used more in these type of games as he occupies defenders who otherwise just head the ball away easily (shame he was injured for the Hamilton game).

Different take on a game when you're not watching as a neutral - but it seemed like a decent enough match to me - we scored a good goal, forced a couple of fine saves - and had a few other things flashing across the penalty box, before the standard nervy ending.Thomson's letter of the law application to stoppage time also denied us a corner and a goal in each half - twat wouldn't have done that at Ibrox.

Pitch is suffering - but had actually expected it to be even worse given the monsoon on Saturday.

First time I've watched a Thistle game in about 14 years. Very nostalgic...   Just like the old days......     Pish.  :(

But a well deserved win by Aberdeen. The semi v Hibs should be a good game. I'll plump for an Aberdeen v Celtic final.

Mon the Dons.

21 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

I enjoyed the match, didn't seem that bad to me.

And the Thistle keeper made a couple of great saves, as mentioned above.

It is amazing the difference it makes, which team you are supporting. The winners thought it was a good game, the losers not so much. The Jags had no shots on target. None. That cannot make for a 'good' game imo.

Cerny did keep the score down tho. Probably move on soon :(

6 hours ago, cyderspaceman said:

Cerny did keep the score down tho. Probably move on soon :(

Doubt it, he's under contract until the end of next season, so someone would have to bid decent money for him.

On ‎06‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 18:39, jmothecat said:

This thread suddenly seems so nice.

Partick Thistle fans are among the more sensible posters on P&B. In fact, they're maybe the most sensible.

Archived