West reconstruction Central League teams perspective

santheman

With the proposed reconstruction meaning that 6 Central League teams would have to move to join 10 Ayrshire based teams to make up one of the 16 team leagues, what are the thoughts of the current 1st and 2nd division Central League teams and their supporters?

What 6 teams are most likely to be affected

Are you excited by the prospect of playing different teams and seeing different places or are you dreading the potentially longer trips down to places like Craigmark.

Hopefully we get some good debate on here without going off track about floodlights etc etc.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

personally (and not yet view of club) I think the proposal is very good. Surely all teams want to Progress  - so eventually travel would increase.

For me (and this is the controversial bit) I would do away with West and East Regions and allow all the top teams to be in same division

Larkhall to Darvel   18.4miles

Larkhall to Benburbs park  18.4 miles

And there is the problem that would face whoever had to decide who went where.

Larkhall Lanark Lesmahagow Wishaw  Carluke Newmains are all probably just as close to the South Ayrshire based teams as Neilston Johnstone Burgh Greenock Port Glasgow are  to the North Ayrshire based teams.

You could argue that some of the Glasgow based teams are as well placed for travel with the M77.

It will prove to be interesting how they sort it out if the plans do indeed go ahead.

Have the teams potentially moving to the western league not already been identified as Arthurlie, Benburb, Greenock, Renfrew, Neilston, Johnstone Burgh, St Anthony's and Port Glasgow?

No matter who moves if the changes go ahead you'll be closer to some new teams and further away from others. Pollok is closer to Arthurlie than Kilsyth, just as we are closer to Beith than Shotts. In the grand scheme of things with the exception of the odd few places like Shotts, Maybole and Kello, the difference wouldn't be that great for most Glasgow and Lanarkshire teams, regardless of division. 

To be honest, apart from travelling to a handful of outlying teams (Kello, Craigmark, maybe Maybole) there wouldn't be that much of a difference - the Central Second for example covers an area from Port Glasgow and Vale of Leven in the west to Dunipace in the east, which can't be a kick in the arse off 50 miles and nobody seems to bat an eyelid about the distance.

The only change proposed is that some of the travel will be on a north-south axis rather than the current prevalent east-west one. You'd get to the likes of Muirkirk from say Newmains quicker than you would get to Inverclyde...motorway a lot of the way, and you don't have the hassle of going through Glasgow.

It's just the fact of things changing that some find challenging rather than the scale of the changes proposed.

28 minutes ago, JackD1908 said:

Have the teams potentially moving to the western league not already been identified as Arthurlie, Benburb, Greenock, Renfrew, Neilston, Johnstone Burgh, St Anthony's and Port Glasgow?

As the proposed 16 team 3rd tier would consist entirely of current district level teams, Arthurlie and Renfrew would have to see a massive downturn in their fortunes.to end up there.

The thing I would be against would be the midweeks just say like our league this season ek thistle only played 8 games so will need to play 3 games a week soon so what happens if them needed to be sent down to Kello and Craigmark in the same midweek or for the likes for those 2 teams travelling to likes ourselves or lanark and dunipace twice in the same midweek for a half 6 kick off I'm sure teams would struggle to get boys to make it from work it's hard enough just now just a thought

That's the way it is in the Super Leagues at the moment, though. I'm sure a team will be sent to Girvan midweek this season at some point.

That's the way it is in the Super Leagues at the moment, though. I'm sure a team will be sent to Girvan midweek this season at some point.
agree but some smaller teams would struggle to do so in my eyes especially if say they get 2 of those midweek away in the 1 week especially if it was a 6.30 ko just a point I maybe wrong though

What are the odds of 1 of the 6 Central teams being sent to the 2 furthest away Ayrshire teams twice in the same midweek? Almost miniscule, surely.

Agree but wouldn't be the strangest thing in our fixtures list

2 hours ago, glensmad said:

Pretty sure knowing our luck that'll end up being us lol. Wouldn't be popular amongst supporters at all :thumbsdown

I started it and I just deleted it, the thread had clearly run its course as the talk of reconstruction was long gone and the usual suspects diverted it down the path of floodlights and fixture lists instead of the important point of changing the league structure.

12 minutes ago, drs said:

I started it and I just deleted it, the thread had clearly run its course as the talk of reconstruction was long gone and the usual suspects diverted it down the path of floodlights and fixture lists instead of the important point of changing the league structure.

That a shame, there was some good discussion on there and after the brief mud flinging over the weekend, it had turned back to re-construction.  Pity you've decided it needed deleting, I wasn't even aware you could do that.

Archived