Next Rangers Manager

I can't imagine it's that simple. I'd guess that clubs/managers should have clauses in their contracts to avoid exactly such a scenario.

Aye I wondered what the contractual implications would be, and like you say, clubs probably insist on a contract clause to avoid this scenario as there's been a few instances in the past where an approach is made and knocked back, so the target just hands in his notice because he wants to move.

• Replies 820
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, capt_oats said:

having appointed a big name, credible manager and you replace your recently sacked manager with Derek McInnes from (in the eyes of ra peepul) a diddy club like Aberdeen who (respectfully) crashed and burned in his stint in England, isn't a particularly good look. Seriously, look at RangersMedia you've got delusional peepul there genuinely expecting a de Boer, those are the ones that need placated and whose money the club/company need to keep the lights on.

McInnes may be the ideal candidate for Rangers but they've had 30 years of being told they deserve the best and having money (they didn't have) chucked at big names only reinforced their entitlement complex. King's statement the other day even played up with Warburton viewing the club/company as a stepping stone (how very dare he): "In order for us to achieve our ambitions, we need employees like your Board members, who will always put Rangers first."

Unless they can, via the media, engineer a narrative that turns bringing in McInnes as some sort of coup that their support can swallow and feel like they can crow about then I'd be surprised if it happened. I'd have thought the more likely route would be to bring in an out of contract McCall-a-like, a place-holder with strong identifiable links to the club on a short term basis to see them until the end of the season and a promise that there will be a full review of structure and give them time to see which managers may be available, for free, in the summer.

I was thinking about this last night and aside from the obvious that we all know already, the delusions of grandeur and relevance of the average berr are severely misplaced with regard to history.

Their managers (not including joke options like Durrant, Murty and Kenny Clipboard):

Mark Warburton (managed one team in English lower leagues)
Stuart McCall (managed two teams before, one in English lower leagues, one slightly above average Scottish team)
Ally McCoist (The Chosen One, but with no previous managerial experience)
Walter Smith (Scotland youth coach and assistant, Rangers first managerial job, unsuccessful at English Premier League team in between stints)
Paul Le Guen (Highly regarded French coach who won titles and had success in Europe. Hilarious failure)
Alex McLeish (managed two Scottish teams in first and second tier)
Dick Advocaat (managed Holland and other Dutch teams, won titles with PSV and had success in Europe)
Walter Smith (discussed)
Graeme Souness (one of the best players of his generation and an undoubted leader and focal point, but no previous managerial experience)

Now, excepting the fact that Rangers now are not the Rangers any of the above had really had to deal with, you wonder why so many people seem to think that they will have the pick of various managers from across the continent. You really wonder why they think they would be able to turn their nose up at Derek McInnes or the like who's no different from several managers they've had over the years. Really, all this list does is compound the misdirected belief built up over the last thirty years that killed Rangers once and hopefully will again, that because once they got someone good with a reputation who threw non-existent money at a pub league that it can just happen again, because it does. Or did.

This nuance will of course be lost on everyone with a vested interest in the appointment so I've no doubt the hilarity will continue. It'll be nice to have something to entertain us while Celtic win the league twenty times running.

What would the compensation be for Rangers to get McInnes? £500k? If they want to, I'm sure they could stump up that cash, legally or otherwise.

I also think McInnes would take the gig. He can't take Aberdeen much further, I think he'd fancy the risk of being the man to stabilise Rangers' 'on the park' problems and, most importantly of all, his pay packet would be larger.

As has been said though, the Rangers board have to massage the ego of the moronic element of their fanbase.

I hope they hilariously, unsuccessfully chase a few big names before stating they didn't want said big names in the first place and appointing Alex McLeish with Barry Ferguson as Assiatant Manager, similar to the Smith/McCoist dream team of the predecessor club.

I'd still be surprised if he went to Ibrox. The money would be higher but not by much at the moment as The Rangers are very poor. He'd need to start again, with a very low quality set of players and would need to work with some very toxic people. He'd be up against a set of fans who don't really want him, don't rate him and don't like him. Why would he do that? He'd be nuts to take on that job. The Rangers fans want a world famous manager, someone in their minds to compare to the Celtic one although talk to Liverpool fans and they don't really rate BR. 

5 minutes ago, weejoeharper said:

I'd still be surprised if he went to Ibrox. The money would be higher but not by much at the moment as The Rangers are very poor. He'd need to start again, with a very low quality set of players and would need to work with some very toxic people. He'd be up against a set of fans who don't really want him, don't rate him and don't like him. Why would he do that? He'd be nuts to take on that job. The Rangers fans want a world famous manager, someone in their minds to compare to the Celtic one although talk to Liverpool fans and they don't really rate BR. 

Which Rangers fans don't rate or like McInnes? 

Perhaps we shouldn't if our players are so poor and we're equal in the league with Aberdeen.

Jimmy Nicholl, what do you mean, Canadian?

(got my money on McInnes btw, reckon it would be a good move for him and us, If he really wanted it and was prepared to leave Pittodrie)

Well he can't take the job AND stay at Pittodrie

I think mcinnes would be mad to go tbh. Rangers simply don't have the resources to compete with their best mates and ultimately any manager there gets judged against how they compete with them.

His stock is high enough that his time will come to get an opportunity to prove himself again down south and with a heavy heart ill wish him all the best.

From rangers point of view I think he'd be a great appointment tbh but don't see it happening at all.

Just now, calum_gers said:

Which Rangers fans don't rate or like McInnes? 

Perhaps we shouldn't if our players are so poor and we're equal in the league with Aberdeen.

Second point first. I know but think I understand why you would say that. I can't quite believe your team are up with us either. Man for man we are better and have a higher quality management team. However I think the very large, noisy crowds do help to intimidate other teams into making mistakes. Your own players are scared to make mistakes and referees are swayed far too often to be seen as unbiased. I wish we could do that.

For your first point go to the Bear Pit on Follow Follow and read the comments. Unless they have changed since this morning most, although I've not counted so perhaps not a Scientific study, do not rate him nor want him. They want someone like RDBoer, a proper Rangers man. I'm happy to stand corrected.

15 minutes ago, weejoeharper said:

There might a debate amongs the rangers fans wether we think mcinnes is the man for the job or not but I am not sure of any rangers fans who don't like mcinnes ?

Just now, Forever_blueco said:

There might a debate amongs the rangers fans wether we think mcinnes is the man for the job or not but I am not sure of any rangers fans who don't like mcinnes ?

I was surprised too as he doesn't tend to rub people up the wrong way but there were a lot of fans who just didn't like him/want him at Ibrox. I'm sorry, I can't be arsed to find the thread again. It doesn't really matter either way though as he's not going to Ibrox.

1 minute ago, weejoeharper said:

I was surprised too as he doesn't tend to rub people up the wrong way but there were a lot of fans who just didn't like him/want him at Ibrox. I'm sorry, I can't be arsed to find the thread again. It doesn't really matter either way though as he's not going to Ibrox.

No I understand many did not want him but I don't think that had anything to do with the fact they did not like him as a person 

Second point first. I know but think I understand why you would say that. I can't quite believe your team are up with us either. Man for man we are better and have a higher quality management team. However I think the very large, noisy crowds do help to intimidate other teams into making mistakes. Your own players are scared to make mistakes and referees are swayed far too often to be seen as unbiased. I wish we could do that.
For your first point go to the Bear Pit on Follow Follow and read the comments. Unless they have changed since this morning most, although I've not counted so perhaps not a Scientific study, do not rate him nor want him. They want someone like RDBoer, a proper Rangers man. I'm happy to stand corrected.

So is it your players or your management team who are under performing?

The last time I checked we were in second place. With a game in hand. So at the moment 2nd is better than 3rd, at least in my world. I do honestly believe though that if East Fife were getting 40-50K fans at their games the refs would still be intimidated, the opposing teams would be intimidated and East Fife would be near the top of the league.  I'm not sure these are points that can be argued with to be honest. So perhaps no one at Aberdeen is underperforming. In fact they are over-performing by most statistical comparisons. We have a much smaller players salary budget, a much smaller income overall and a very small ground by comparison. We also have no training facilities. So when you take all these into account we are actually slaughtering you.

Archived