UEFA (European) Super Cup

Scary Bear

Why has this trophy never taken off?

It really is the poor relation, whereas winning the Champions League or even the Europea League is seen as a major achievement. Why?

Does anyone actually make a point of watching these finals?

Rather an odd time of year to start on this topic, tbh!

You mean why it isn't seen as deciding the true champion of Europe? I suppose for the same reason as the Community Shield isn't seen as deciding the true champion on England... it has always been a prestige / exhibition game the following season, rather than the culmination of something. It was also quite late on the scene - it began in 1972 between Ajax and Rangers (unofficial edition as Rangers banned by UEFA for crowd trouble after their CWC win). Thereafter it didn't happen a few times - due to political tensions between the countries of the participating clubs, or English fixture congestion.

Having looked it up just now I was surprised to see it was played over 2 legs right up until 1998. From then it was moved to Monaco in conjunction with the groupstage draws... and in 2013 they began the policy of awarding it to smaller countries cities and stadiums who couldn't except CL or EL. I think both moves have probably helped keep it relevant and it has a place as a "showpiece curtain-raiser". In a way you could say it was surprising that demise of the Cup-Winners' Cup didn't lead to it being scrapped too.

I always used to watch it when it was on ITV. It was a Friday night then, too, which was better.

Africa and South America have equivalents. Asia's ended in 2002 when they consolidated on one club competition and wasn't reinstated when more restarted. CONCACAF never had one. There was also an Arab Supercup until 2001.

Rather an odd time of year to start on this topic, tbh!

You mean why it isn't seen as deciding the true champion of Europe? I suppose for the same reason as the Community Shield isn't seen as deciding the true champion on England... it has always been a prestige / exhibition game the following season, rather than the culmination of something. It was also quite late on the scene - it began in 1972 between Ajax and Rangers (unofficial edition as Rangers banned by UEFA for crowd trouble after their CWC win). Thereafter it didn't happen a few times - due to political tensions between the countries of the participating clubs, or English fixture congestion.

Having looked it up just now I was surprised to see it was played over 2 legs right up until 1998. From then it was moved to Monaco in conjunction with the groupstage draws... and in 2013 they began the policy of awarding it to smaller countries cities and stadiums who couldn't except CL or EL. I think both moves have probably helped keep it relevant and it has a place as a "showpiece curtain-raiser". In a way you could say it was surprising that demise of the Cup-Winners' Cup didn't lead to it being scrapped too.

I always used to watch it when it was on ITV. It was a Friday night then, too, which was better.

Africa and South America have equivalents.

I agree. It is an odd time to bring up the subject. Not sure why I was thinking about it. I equate it with the Community Shield too.

I would have thought UEFA could give it a makeover and try and make it something fans care about. It should be a fairly glamorous affair but it currently holds all the anticipation and excitement of a pre-season friendly.

Not sure there's much more to be done to raise it's profile. Moving the competition round to different stadiums has probably kept it going due to cities bidding for it.

It has kind of lost its purpose. Once upon a time it could be seen as the crowning of the best team of Europe, but the transition from European Cup to Champions League put an end to that.

A phenomenal achievement to win this trophy IMO

A competition that has stood the test of time, is going from strength to strength and is the highlight of the Footballing calendar 

Only Europe's biggest and best have ever achieved this notable feat, a really exclusive club

A truly premier competition. A Super Cup victory for any club is an accomplishment almost without parallel in world sport. The Nobel Prize of European football, if you will.

Past and present holders of the European Super Cup really are in a class of their own, above the rest and correctly the rarefied members of this ultra-exclusive club are looked to within their home leagues and associations as shining pillars of virtue and attainment.

It is no surprise however, that these giants of world football draw envy and acclaim in equal measure but, this has always been the price of celebrity and the cross the famous have to bear.

• 3 months later...
Guest DAVIDB69

Well it's man united v real or juventus in Skopje , perfect opportunity for mouriniho to throw in the tired line if the season starts badly

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived