Blast From The Past!

23 minutes ago, Nutz_the_Squirrel said:

I nearly bought these off of eBay a few weeks ago.  Loads of kids in my primary class had these.  Not me.  I had stolen pencils from my dad's work.  

Not raging at all.

Waaaay back in the day....

WRK Senior ran a bookie's business, so I had an unlimited supply of half-sized pencils before anyone had ever heard of Argos. Also, once I reached the later, "serious" years of Education, loads of exotic promotional pens from classy hotels across Europe as his attitude was that, having paid through the nose for the room, anything therein which was not secured came with it.

See also: Tiny bars of soap, interesting stationery, Huge great fluffy towels, the occasional bathrobe and even, on rare occasions, slippers.

58b21e75863f6_citysprinter.jpg.e912e71dc9360abc908031e0f8aa52d0.jpg

That auld Edinburgh bus stop. That auld Edinburgh bus shelter (unremarkably vandalised too), a Number 57 bus (didn't even know they had that route number) but most of all the City Sprinter. I would occasionally get on a C3 which went up Dalkeith Road to Leith Walk. I can remember a right fat wifie got on one and the thing was just about leaning over! You couldn't have them now- most people who get on buses these days are fat f*ckers (including me!)

1 minute ago, tamthebam said:

58b21e75863f6_citysprinter.jpg.e912e71dc9360abc908031e0f8aa52d0.jpg

That auld Edinburgh bus stop. That auld Edinburgh bus shelter (unremarkably vandalised too), a Number 57 bus (didn't even know they had that route number) but most of all the City Sprinter. I would occasionally get on a C3 which went up Dalkeith Road to Leith Walk. I can remember a right fat wifie got on one and the thing was just about leaning over! You couldn't have them now- most people who get on buses these days are fat f*ckers (including me!)

There was a 57 that ran from St Andrews Square to Kirkcaldy but was usually a single decker, Scottish Bluebird had a 27 that ran from Buchanan Street to Kirkcaldy.

These magazines were all the rage in the early 80's

2398824-look_in_v1983_198317_pagecover.j

And then came smash hits magazine which gave rise to the well known joke at school and beyond.

You huvnae got a look in pal because everybody is buying smash hits, and then came the customary punch in the shoulder.

smashhits1.jpg

Jotters and textbooks covered with wallpaper. My parents had a neverending supply of woodchip wallpaper that all my schoolbooks got covered with. It was a rare thrill to get textbooks that still had the cover on them from previous pupils. I did a crash higher in History in 6th year and my textbook about the Russian Revolution was covered by a poster advertising the film 'Basket Case 2' maxresdefault.jpg (1600×1145)maxresdefault.jpg (1600×1145)

The good old days when Aberdeen had a really sh*tey, overcrowded bus station that was preferable to the new simply because it had a Thains bakers (rather than the current fancy setup with the choice of Subway, Burger King, Cosmo, Baguette Express, WH Smith etc etc).

2061828615_091d42c8a2_b.jpg

3 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

The good old days when Aberdeen had a really sh*tey, overcrowded bus station that was preferable to the new simply because it had a Thains bakers (rather than the current fancy setup with the choice of Subway, Burger King, Cosmo, Baguette Express, WH Smith etc etc).

2061828615_091d42c8a2_b.jpg

Ann Souter (Gloag) talks about buses less than you do.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

10 hours ago, throbber said:

I used to love the film 28 days later about 13 years ago but watching it back now its pretty shite, a bit of a clusterfuck. 

Not a patch on Dawn of the Dead. Now that was a film. As was the unofficial Italian follow-up Zombi 2, better known as Zombie Flesh Eaters in this part of the world.

I miss the Italian film industry. Godawful 'sequels' to the big Hollywood blockbusters that never failed to amuse.

8 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Not a patch on Dawn of the Dead. Now that was a film. As was the unofficial Italian follow-up Zombi 2, better known as Zombie Flesh Eaters in this part of the world.

I miss the Italian film industry. Godawful 'sequels' to the big Hollywood blockbusters that never failed to amuse.

Like this one here? A mash up of The Warriors and Escape From New York.

1990bronx1.jpg