Tea or Dinner?

Romeo

Is your evening meal your "tea" or your "dinner"?  

41 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Never mind square, slice or lorne. Forget baws in or baws oot. 

Someone in the office told me what they were making for their "tea" tonight.

As far as I'm consider tea is a hot or cold beverage. It always struck me as something the tinks from the east coast would say.

So, it it your "tea" or your "dinner"

P&B decides.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depends when you have it.
If it's near 12 noon then it's dinner and if its efter 5 o'clock then it's tea.
F**king obvious.

I should add that I'm an auld c**t and if my mum shouted tae me while I was playing wi' my pals (post war),
"Willie, yer lunch is ready",  I wid hae been telt tae f**k off and play wi' the lassies.

1 minute ago, Wee Willie said:

Depends when you have it.
If it's near 12 noon then it's dinner and if its efter 5 o'clock then it's tea.
F**king obvious.

I should add that I'm an auld c**t and if my mum shouted tae me while I was playing wi' my pals (post war),
"Willie, yer lunch is ready",  I wid hae been telt tae f**k off and play wi' the lassies.

^^^ Idiot found.

Surely if you are eating near 12 noon that's your lunch?

2 minutes ago, Romeo said:

^^^ Idiot found.

Post war eg late 40's early 50's Lunch hadnae been invented.

Whose the idiot noo?

1 minute ago, Dazzle said:

Dinner is lunch time. 

Gracias

1 minute ago, Romeo said:

So if you and your significant other are going out for dinner, you are having lunch.

Try making a dinner reservation for 12 noon.

When I were a lad we didnae go oot for a dinner we went for a Chippy TEA

Just now, Wee Willie said:

Post war eg late 40's early 50's Lunch hadnae been invented.

Whose the idiot noo?

Gracias

When I were a lad we didnae go oot for a dinner we went for a Chippy TEA

Mods..? Please....

3 minutes ago, Romeo said:

So if you and your significant other are going out for dinner, you are having lunch.

Try making a dinner reservation for 12 noon.

Well I call it both lunch and dinner so a booking for either would be acceptable to me, must stem from school as it was always dinner break. 

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Dinner can be either afternoon meal or evening meal. Its not exclusive. Lunch is also acceptable for afternoon meal. Tea is only acceptable for evening meal. What is not acceptable is folk from the North East who call their evening meal "supper". Supper is a bit of toast or something right before bed.

I'm with ye there sunshine :thumsup2

3 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Dinner can be either afternoon meal or evening meal. Its not exclusive. Lunch is also acceptable for afternoon meal. Tea is only acceptable for evening meal. What is not acceptable is folk from the North East who call their evening meal "supper". Supper is a bit of toast or something right before bed.

That's a posh/middle class thing too. I'd agree with your definition of supper.

5 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

This nails it. Agree completely.

I'll use tea or dinner but the two can have subtle connotations. Tea would normally (though not exclusively) infer something less formal, and possibly a bit earlier. Eg "shall we have an early tea out at the pub" (eg at about 5.30 pm).  A later meal at a restaurant would always be dinner. It would be dinner at home too if I was cooking something a bit fancier in order to try and get my hole. 

Close thread. Bairnardo has battered this one out the park. The "supper" thing used to really get on my tits when I first moved north, used to it now and have even said it myself sometimes. I know, I'm scum, subhuman scum.

17 minutes ago, Romeo said:

^^^ Idiot found.

Dinner: the main meal of the day, taken either around midday or in the evening.
Tea: a meal that is eaten in the early evening and is usually cooked.

You should never argue with the Internet.
Whose the idiot noo?

Archived