Spit Hoods

jmothecat

1 hour ago, git-intae-thum said:

I would imagine if they spat on me or threatened too....yes.

How would you propose to approach them?

Like professional police people.  How else?  Fucksake.  Are the police anything more than professionally trained civilians in uniforms?  What is wrong with you right-wing arseholes? 

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Spit hoods may be used where a person threatens, attempts to spit or has spat at officers, members of the public or police staff.

• Subject must be handcuffed to the rear before spit hood is used

to prevent self removal.

• Where possible, remove any facial jewellery and eye wear prior

to application.

• Spit hoods are NOT to be used if the subject is having difficulty

breathing, vomiting or bleeding profusely from the mouth or nose.

• Place spit hood over the head of the subject ensuring it is

adjusted accordingly.

• Any subject who has a spit hood placed upon them MUST be

supervised at all times.

• Spithoodsmustbedisposedofasabiohazard. Replacement

spit hoods are available from custody suites.

• Officers must be aware that application of spit hoods in the public

arena could undermine public confidence. Caution should therefore be exercised

That's the guideline.

Like professional police people.  How else?  Fucksake.  Are the police anything more than professionally trained civilians in uniforms?  What is wrong with you right-wing arseholes? 

Isn't there some protest march somewhere you could be on instead of talking shite on here?

• Spit hoods may be used where a person threatens, attempts to spit or has spat at officers, members of the public or police staff.
  • Subject must be handcuffed to the rear before spit hood is used
    to prevent self removal.
  • Where possible, remove any facial jewellery and eye wear prior
    to application.
  • Spit hoods are NOT to be used if the subject is having difficulty
    breathing, vomiting or bleeding profusely from the mouth or nose.
  • Place spit hood over the head of the subject ensuring it is
    adjusted accordingly.
  • Any subject who has a spit hood placed upon them MUST be
    supervised at all times.
  • Spithoodsmustbedisposedofasabiohazard. Replacement
    spit hoods are available from custody suites.
  • Officers must be aware that application of spit hoods in the public
    arena could undermine public confidence. Caution should therefore be exercised. 
That's the guideline.

Obviously misused to fuck already then.

Your input is embarrassing. Yet another clown who posts absolute drivel then when called on it comes away with this pish about how its deliberate and its done to annoy others.

Pure lies. You have nothing of substance to say on the substance other than to vent your faux outrage ablut anything and everything whilst being mentally unable to look at both sides.

No, I don't go out to annoy normal, reasonable folk at all. It's a byproduct of being right that annoys the likes of you.

Mate you're not right. You're a million miles away and you aren't even able to have a reasoned discussion about it.

As I have said before, my politics lie left of centre. In actual fact I am a shop steward and proud of that. But you are an embarrasment and people with your attitude are the reason for the demise of left wing poilitics. Your aggression and staunch ideology which you allow to fly in the face of common sense and decency, and your pig ignorant refusal to consider any point except your own just makes you appear foolish.

You have some cheek implying me or anyone else so far in this thread isn't being reasonable. I doubt you would find a single person who has contributed here that would come down on your side rather than mine in that regard.

For a left-wing person you seem awfully trusting of the police. I grew up in the seventies and eighties and remember the miners strike, Blair Peach, the SPG and the number of folk that have been fucked over by corrupt police forces up and down the country. That's without spit hoods.

I dont have stats. I agree with their use if used correctly regardless of what the stats say, therefore I have no reason to search for them.

Didnt I say the need(or not) to have them. Its up for debate in this thread. The point I have been making all along is that your reasoning against them is ludicrous.

Pish. " I say there's a need therefore there's a need". Fuck off. If there's no need then they're not required. It's just some company making spit hoods lobbying police forces to sell their product and you're a dupe.

I am conflicted with this one. There is a significant risk of infection if you are spat at, and I can see why there is a call from the police to employ spit hoods under certain circumstances. The difficulty though is that they increase the risk of positional asphyxia, Though the masks are breathable, restraininhg officers cannot see the person's face properly for possible cyanosis. If the person cannot breathe they cannot tell you.

Positional asphxia accounts for a high proportion of deaths in custody/mental health settings. It's such a risk, that in the Trust I work for we no longer restrain anyone prone or supine on the floor- and we certainly don't use spit hoods. This is coming from someone who also went through Kilbowie's nightmare of waiting for months for blood results- though potential infection wasn't from spitting- it was bloodied scissors in my case.

The bulk of my interactions with the police were in the 80s and, if my experience is anything to go by, these hoods are a protection for the person being arrested. Back then I reckon if I'd spat on a cop I'd have been filled in, severely and probably charged with assaulting a police officer. So in a way, these hoods are a crime prevention measure :) that protects the wearer.

23 minutes ago, kilbowie2002 said:

With a spit hood applied the person is considered to be on constant observations ie they will be watched/monitored at all times. But i do agree that positional asphyxia is a danger in any arrest, we do get shown how to mitigate this.

Are you able to say what you are shown to do to mitigate positional asphyxia in these cases?

20 hours ago, Baxter Parp said:

And you trust the word of the police with no scrutiny whatsoever. Bizarre.

The police get spat on when making arrests. We can all accept that.

As much I distrust the police and have personal experience of their lying and falsifying their notes and all of that , they also are an essential tool in maintaining law and order and as such have to protected from the worst of us exactly as we have to be protected from the worst of them. 

If we try to micro manage and over scrutinise every aspect of every day policing we will paralyse their effectiveness and that  can only help the scumbags. I'm quite happy to delegate the responsibility of deploying spit hoods to the arresting officer at the point of arrest based upon the actions of the arrestee.

4 hours ago, NewBornBairn said:

The bulk of my interactions with the police were in the 80s and, if my experience is anything to go by, these hoods are a protection for the person being arrested. Back then I reckon if I'd spat on a cop I'd have been filled in, severely and probably charged with assaulting a police officer. So in a way, these hoods are a crime prevention measure :) that protects the wearer.

Difficult to spit with a burst jaw.

I can see the justification for why the police need them and thats fair enough but if I was young and black (and lived in London in particular) I would not feel at all at ease with the police being allowed to use these.

Archived