Spit Hoods

jmothecat

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/38896745?client=safari

Spit hoods, tight mesh hoods to be put over suspects heads, are becoming increasingly prevalent amongst police forces in the UK. Human rights groups argue they are humiliating for those forced to wear them, make monitoring their health difficult and can be very distressing. They have also been found to be used disproportionately on people with mental health problems.

Are they justified or is this just another example of the increasingly weaponised police?

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Utter nonsense, have you ever had people bite the inside of their mouth and try spatter you with hep c infected blood? spit hoods when used properly are absolutely vital. I know my opinion wont come as a surprise however there is absolutely no torture you can breath perfectly fine with one on. I fully understand peoples concerns as to how they may appear but having had a 3 month wait for blood tests following cross contamination id not hesitate to use one where appropriate.

I'm with the pigs on this one. If I had to deal with junkies trying to spit their blood on me I'd be putting one of these straight on.

However it will be interesting to see if the funding of these mean more cases of people being left to die in a crashed car over a multiple day period before someone goes to check on the scene.

11 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Eta and what about the humiliation of being spat at whilst at your work. In the direct course of your daily tasks?

One of a copper's daily tasks is to deal with arseholes, spitting or otherwise.  I'm not sure why you're not aware of this.

1 minute ago, kilbowie2002 said:

Thats not how they work, snowflake? youre the one coming across like a safe spacer here. You tell me given you're so opinionated how should someone who shouts 'av goat hep c ya cunt' and spits blood at a cop or anyone be dealt with? Id be really interested in finding out your thoughts.

My thoughts are that spitting has been an issue with the fuzz since time began and they didn't need them when crime was at a high so they shouldn't need them now.  My thoughts are that coppers like having the latest kit and moan like fuck when they don't get it whether they need it or not.  See: pepper spray, tazers, stab vests, etc. I also note that the spit hood is misused with those with mental issues.  Which doesn't surprise me.

2 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

In essence, when used correctly, fine.

How do you know when someone's about to spit?  How much of an issue is it?  Should teachers, nurses, doctors and bus drivers have them?  If not, why not?  I don't think there's anything fine about them even if used "correctly".

8 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

In essence, when used correctly, fine.

But as has been pointed out, it's the misuse that is the problem. I would want proper, serious investigations (and punishments if required) when they are misused.

There's a fine line here.

And can we really trust the police across the country to use them safely? I doubt Sheku Bayoh's family would think so.

29 minutes ago, kirkyblue2 said:

What about other employees, NHS , public transport or traffic wardens, do they use them?

What I was going to ask. Would you expect paramedics - much more likely to deal with sick, potentially infectious people - to put them on people they take to hospital?

The comparison with other public sector workers is a fair one, but only to a point. Yes they face drunk, drugged, and very unpleasant individuals from time to time but they're not trying to arrest them. That's an important difference.

Like I say, I'm fine with them as long as the dodgy cases are dealt with properly.

And can we really trust the police across the country to use them safely? I doubt Sheku Bayoh's family would think so.

I'm no great defender of the police. A bit like an army, they're a necessary evil in my book.

But there can't be many countries in the world have a better complaints system when things inevitably go wrong?

I could be wrong here but I'd guess maybe a few countries (Scandinavian maybe?) have a more transparent police?

Just now, pandarilla said:

I'm no great defender of the police. A bit like an army, they're a necessary evil in my book.

But there can't be many countries in the world have a better complaints system when things inevitably go wrong?

I could be wrong here but I'd guess maybe a few countries (Scandinavian maybe?) have a more transparent police?

I don't think victims of the Met Police would agree with you. I'm firmly of the opinion that anyone who aspires to be a policeman is for the watching but aye they are a necessary evil.

I don't think victims of the Met Police would agree with you. I'm firmly of the opinion that anyone who aspires to be a policeman is for the watching but aye they are a necessary evil.

I agree 100%.

But I reckon if you went and watched a few arrests of some characters you might change your mind a touch on this issue.

Archived