The Syrian Draft Constitution Thread

snatch777

Since the peace talks in Astana ended, meaningful progress has been made towards the settlement of the Syrian crisis. The guarantor countries managed to do impossible – to make Syrian government and the armed opposition sit down at one table to discuss the current situation in the country.

http://www.globalresearch.ca/the-syrian-draft-constitution-is-only-aimed-at-improving-the-situation-in-syria/5573860

Do you think the new Constitution is necessary for syrian citizens?

russia-sees-syria-vote-filling-legal-vac

First post and you start a thread.......probably means you have another account, but so do many others it would seem!

As for Syria......I doubt anyone on here knows enough about the region to constructively discuss the issue but from a distance it sounds like a reasonable plan.

23 hours ago, McSpreader said:

First post and you start a thread.......probably means you have another account, but so do many others it would seem!

As for Syria......I doubt anyone on here knows enough about the region to constructively discuss the issue but from a distance it sounds like a reasonable plan.

It seems to me we have to discuss such a problem, cause it's very interesting and may help those in Syria and around to solve the conflict!

1 hour ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

The new Syrian constitution will be whatever Assad and Putin decide is in it.

Assad and Putin are able to write text of new constitution. I don't think opposition, kurds and other sides will agree with it. Only Syrian people  are able to decide what Constitution they want and they will vote for it in a referendum.

7 minutes ago, snatch777 said:

Assad and Putin are able to write text of new constitution. I don't think opposition, kurds and other sides will agree with it. Only Syrian people  are able to decide what Constitution they want and they will vote for it in a referendum.

I don't think thing Daesh would take kindly to a referendum being held on territory they control. If the other opposition don't agree nothing can happen until total military victory for Assad and Putin. Which makes the peace talks pointless.

11 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I don't think thing Daesh would take kindly to a referendum being held on territory they control. If the other opposition don't agree nothing can happen until total military victory for Assad and Putin. Which makes the peace talks pointless.

Nobody takes Daesh into account since IT IS NOT AN OPPOSITION SIDE which is also endorsed by the West. Reconciliation talks in this case may come along with operations against terrorists.

Assuming the opposition parties at the talks have at least a modicum of political legitimacy and aren't just representatives of random armed militias, Assad will have to give them something, however little, otherwise the talks are pointless. They can't be expecting much given the position of strength the government is now in.

Assad is hoping they agree to lay down their weapons in return for an amnesty deal, and that's probably about as good a deal as the likes of the 'Army of Islam' are going to get. Maybe they'd also like some kind of political recognition. Syria already has a multi-party parliamentary system so by all means let them stand for election and let's see how much support they get.

On 13/02/2017 at 21:02, Zetterlund said:

Assuming the opposition parties at the talks have at least a modicum of political legitimacy and aren't just representatives of random armed militias, Assad will have to give them something, however little, otherwise the talks are pointless. They can't be expecting much given the position of strength the government is now in.

Assad is hoping they agree to lay down their weapons in return for an amnesty deal, and that's probably about as good a deal as the likes of the 'Army of Islam' are going to get. Maybe they'd also like some kind of political recognition. Syria already has a multi-party parliamentary system so by all means let them stand for election and let's see how much support they get.

Do you think direct talks between Damascus and the Syrian opposition are possible? To my mind the international Astana meeting on Syria with representatives of Iran, Turkey, Russia, as well as of the UN, the US, Jordan will help to solve some political aspects of the Syrian conflict and will let Syrian people to reach consensus about the contents of the new Constitution.

12 hours ago, snatch777 said:

Do you think direct talks between Damascus and the Syrian opposition are possible? To my mind the international Astana meeting on Syria with representatives of Iran, Turkey, Russia, as well as of the UN, the US, Jordan will help to solve some political aspects of the Syrian conflict and will let Syrian people to reach consensus about the contents of the new Constitution.

The opposition are willing to talk at least which is probably Turkey's influence, since they seem to have realised the gig is up and aligned with Russia. I'd be interested to know what the rebels want out of it though. They must know they cant win militarily, and Assad has said he wont give up an inch of Syria.

The problem is that Assad's Alawite base is only about 10% of the population. He's probably alienated a lot of the moderate Sunni population that previously supported the status quo by his reaction to the initial protests, the wealthy ones will have left, as will anyone else who could afford to amongst the Christians and Druze communities. He could probably make a deal with the Kurds (who are counted as part of the 75% Sunni demographically) but that would piss of Turkey big style. The remaining non Kurdish Sunni probably include a majority that would be willing to compromise for the sake of peace and getting back to normal, but their only effective forces seem to be Jihadi, and the moderates who get invited to conferences seem to have no support at home. It's a fucking nightmare. Maybe if somebody just writes a constitution for people to consider it would be a start. Even if it's written by Putin. And get the Syrians arguing about it instead of killing each other.

On 02/13/2017 at 12:03, DeeTillEhDeh said:

The new Syrian constitution will be whatever Assad and Putin decide is in it.

On 02/13/2017 at 12:06, welshbairn said:

FTFY

The new Syrian constitution will be whatever they Putin it.

Ceasefires are often a way to stall for time and build up resources needed for new offensives like the one that is unfolding in the city of Daraa at the moment. Think this conflict still has a few more years left in it, unfortunately, because the geostrategic interests driving it in terms of gas pipelines and Iran's need for a land route to Hezbollah in Lebanon aren't going to go away.

12 hours ago, Zetterlund said:

The opposition are willing to talk at least which is probably Turkey's influence, since they seem to have realised the gig is up and aligned with Russia. I'd be interested to know what the rebels want out of it though. They must know they cant win militarily, and Assad has said he wont give up an inch of Syria.

Of course, they know it. This is rather a complex situation with different stakeholders having different agenda in Syria. Saudi Arabia is widely supported by the US financially and militarily. They have supported ISIS in fight against Assad in Syria and so did Turkey although they shift the blame on Kurd's intrusion into Turkey. Russians and Iranians are fighting the rebels and militias supported by Sunni Saudi Arabia to protect President Assad. These policies are multi dimensional and need to be looked at objectives. Bottom line a stable Syria with a proper constitution serves nothing for these stakeholders. You could argue that at least Russians, Iranians and Turks are clearer in their objectives evident in their meetings in Kazakhstan....It's regrettable but it seems the West mainly US arming the ISIS and Russians protecting Assad is only gonna create chaos and mayhem and prolong the war.

10 hours ago, welshbairn said:

The problem is that Assad's Alawite base is only about 10% of the population. He's probably alienated a lot of the moderate Sunni population that previously supported the status quo by his reaction to the initial protests, the wealthy ones will have left, as will anyone else who could afford to amongst the Christians and Druze communities. He could probably make a deal with the Kurds (who are counted as part of the 75% Sunni demographically) but that would piss of Turkey big style. The remaining non Kurdish Sunni probably include a majority that would be willing to compromise for the sake of peace and getting back to normal, but their only effective forces seem to be Jihadi, and the moderates who get invited to conferences seem to have no support at home. It's a fucking nightmare. Maybe if somebody just writes a constitution for people to consider it would be a start. Even if it's written by Putin. And get the Syrians arguing about it instead of killing each other.

Agree with you:thumsup2 Syrian draft constitution just an invitation for a conversation between opposition, so-called moderate opposition, kurds, Assad. This draft constitution is not a Russian or Turkish or Iranian blueprint for Syria's future and these countries did not intend in that way. To my mind this draft Syrian Constitution was designed to prevent ethnic conflicts within a multi-national state by offering national minorities constitutionally guaranteed rights.

1 hour ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Ceasefires are often a way to stall for time and build up resources needed for new offensives like the one that is unfolding in the city of Daraa at the moment. Think this conflict still has a few more years left in it, unfortunately, because the geostrategic interests driving it in terms of gas pipelines and Iran's need for a land route to Hezbollah in Lebanon aren't going to go away.

Unfortunately yes..but i think it will be a real success in Syrian peace talks in Astana. The rebels indicated they wanted the talks to focus on releasing of prisoners, but I believe the Government wants to unite all Syrians to fight against Daesh terrorists. And it's important to be noted the draft new Syrian Constitution could do that, because includes necessary elements for the citizens' association.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived