Casseroles

DA Baracus

Casserole is still as popular, folk just call it stew or something more pretentious and make it in the slow cooker. They then pretend it isn't shite but it is. Ex used to want to do everything in the slow cooker, all tasted pretty much the same and none of it was that good. Only redeemable feature was two slice of buttered bread to mop up the juices...

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Someone at work mentioned they were making beef casserole last week. Had n the urge to hit them repeatedly with a door knob.

Well you can f**k off.

Casseroles are the bees knees.
I'm having chicken casserole tonight for my dinner.
I also do pork casserole and beef casserole.
Heat up the ingredients (meat, frozen onions, frozen peas, tatties & gravy) in a pot.
I always use those wee baby new tatties in the stew.
Then empty into a casserole and bung in the oven for about an hour tae an hour and a half depending on the meat.
The best bit is that after it's in the oven for it's allotted time you just empty it out onto the plate and there you have it.
A dish fit for a President (the royals can gettaefu as Mr Connolly would say).

Anyone who DOESN'T like a casserole has either been brought up by only their father or your maw was too busy getting pumped in her younger days to learn anything from your gran.

In other words a done right casserole is one of the greatest foods in the world.

19 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

And I'm truly sorry about the pun. 

My (former) brother in law and my late sis were staying with my mum and her (then) hubby (lots of death and divorce in this tale). Brother in law reported to me he felt very inferior, such was the level of wall banging and bed rattling coming from the auld yins' bedroom. I'm looking forward to this new romance. Me coming over, sharing chicken casserole and calling you daddy. All very Fife.

I look forward it. I believe you are older than me though, so this may make things slightly awkward at first, but once I become the paterfamilias then I shall expect loyalty when you come over.

Anyone who DOESN'T like a casserole has either been brought up by only their father or your maw was too busy getting pumped in her younger days to learn anything from your gran.

In other words a done right casserole is one of the greatest foods in the world.

I've eaten every food stuff on the planet and its below goat balls, grit and my own faeces. An abomination of cullenry.

29 minutes ago, Dindeleux said:

and I agree.
Rabbie was remiss in no penning a verse or twa in it's direction.

Far fa' yer honest, sonsie hyperbole,
Great chieftain o' the casserole.
..and so on

Hyperbole: exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally -  i.e. poetic licence

44 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Details please.

The essence is a sausage pasta bake. I'd boil the twisty or shell pasta, cut up and brown Halls sausages, bang in tomato sauce, basil, onions, garlic or what ever to make the sauce. Mix it all into a casserole dish and then add loads of cheese like cheddar, mozzarella or parmesan and pepperoni on top and bake for 1/2 hour.

3 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

What happened to casseroles? 

They seem to have fallen out of favour now, as I rarely hear of them these days. I think the last time I had one was in circa 1994 and I can't say I miss them.

There are two possible reasons for this.

Either it's down to apathy, or just the fact that no one cares any more.

3 hours ago, NorthernJambo said:

Casserole is still as popular, folk just call it stew or something more pretentious and make it in the slow cooker. They then pretend it isn't shite but it is. Ex used to want to do everything in the slow cooker, all tasted pretty much the same and none of it was that good. Only redeemable feature was two slice of buttered bread to mop up the juices...

It all tastes the same if you don't go for flavour.
Add a grated green chilli (only one - two will make it a curry)
If the recipe says add three cloves of garlic then add ten.
Whatever herbs and spices it says - add more.

Also, most casserole (or stew) tastes better on the second day.

2 hours ago, Cerberus said:

The essence is a sausage pasta bake. I'd boil the twisty or shell pasta, cut up and brown Halls sausages, bang in tomato sauce, basil, onions, garlic or what ever to make the sauce. Mix it all into a casserole dish and then add loads of cheese like cheddar, mozzarella or parmesan and pepperoni on top and bake for 1/2 hour.

Hall's sausages, do you live I'm Monte Carlo?

I challenge anyone to try this and still say casseroles are pish.  Day 1 with rice or tatties. Day 2 with thick slices of buttered bread.

The recipe is easier than it looks.  Step 1, point your wife at the right page in the Hairy Bikers' book.  Step 2, eat. (wife or casserole.)

5 hours ago, Dindeleux said:

^^^ He knows.

Casseroles are great. And can be so many things. Many curries are casseroles. Stuff like Irish Stew. Coq au Vin. The forementioned sausage casserole is king of them all though.

Anyone that says they have no flavour has simply not eaten well. Flavour comes from simple steps; browning then deglazing, adding a good quantity of wine or beer, and decent stock, good quality meat, veg and herbs. Most of all taking time and cooking slowly. If you put shit in you get shit out. 

Archived