Casseroles

DA Baracus

11 minutes ago, Bobby Skidmarks said:

I've never had one m8. But it must be a classy B&B you live in if they let you have a microwave in your room.

Aye it's the life Rab.

Back on topic. Stick yer meat n veg in the slow cooker and bobs yer uncle, can't remember the last time I used the oven to make a casserole. 

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I quite like sausage or chicken casserole, but it's one of those kinds of food that's redolent of the 1970s , in the same vein as chicken supreme, prawn cocktail or Toast Toppers are.

Speaking of weird 70s food, I got a shock a wee while back when I was in a B&M or something like that and saw Vesta curry still for sale - I was almost tempted to buy one for an evening of school-dinner regression - I thought they had long since gone the way of Tudor crisps and Heinz London Grill.

5 hours ago, Hillonearth said:

I quite like sausage or chicken casserole, but it's one of those kinds of food that's redolent of the 1970s , in the same vein as chicken supreme, prawn cocktail or Toast Toppers are.

Speaking of weird 70s food, I got a shock a wee while back when I was in a B&M or something like that and saw Vesta curry still for sale - I was almost tempted to buy one for an evening of school-dinner regression - I thought they had long since gone the way of Tudor crisps and Heinz London Grill.

The world's been making casseroles for thousands of years. Seems a bit unfair to consign them to the 70s?

11 hours ago, milton75 said:

^^^ He knows.

Casseroles are great. And can be so many things. Many curries are casseroles. Stuff like Irish Stew. Coq au Vin. The forementioned sausage casserole is king of them all though.

Anyone that says they have no flavour has simply not eaten well. Flavour comes from simple steps; browning then deglazing, adding a good quantity of wine or beer, and decent stock, good quality meat, veg and herbs. Most of all taking time and cooking slowly. If you put shit in you get shit out. 

Another mistake is to use the wrong cut of meat.
It is not the expensive cuts of meat that make the best casserole.
Mind you - if you don't cook the cheap cuts for long enough - then you can learn to play the trumpet with your ass.

Another mistake is to use the wrong cut of meat.
It is not the expensive cuts of meat that make the best casserole.
Mind you - if you don't cook the cheap cuts for long enough - then you can learn to play the trumpet with your ass.

Exactly right. I was making a beef stew (to turn into steak pie) at new year. Oxtail, cheek, shin and short rib all employed. Basically cooked all day, but we'll worth it compared to a faster cook with more expensive cuts.

Archived