Europa League Spots: A Real Discussion

1 minute ago, getdoon said:

Agreed mate, when I was watching Saints play in 30 degree heat in an extremely picturesque Swiss city, I was really wishing we'd no bothered qualifying.

ever heard of a package holiday

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, 10menwent2mow said:

Was having a look at seedings on the coefficient watch thread.

Aberdeen and Saints would be seeded for QR 1&2

Hearts seeded for 1. Borderline for 2

Hibs seeded for 1 not for 2.

Any other team borderline but probably seeded for 1 definitely not for 2

It obviously improves your odds being seeded, but Kairat were unseeded and had just spent a small fortune assembling their squad. Still should have beaten them.

Regardless, even if we manage to get over the 3rd round curse this season, the playoff will be virtually impossible for any non-Celtic Scottish team to progress from.

It obviously improves your odds being seeded, but Kairat were unseeded and had just spent a small fortune assembling their squad. Still should have beaten them.
Regardless, even if we manage to get over the 3rd round curse this season, the playoff will be virtually impossible for any non-Celtic Scottish team to progress from.

There's no doubting that looking at the 22 seeded teams from this year it's very very tough and despite our progress in recent seasons we'd almost certainly fall short. There's a couple we could do well against though. It's just a pity that like previous rounds the draw is not made prior to the completion of QR so that you can assume the seeding.

The odds are so stacked against Scottish clubs, I look at it as a much more interesting pre-season.

We've had some decent games over the last few seasons but the Groups are a bit of a pipe dream when you see the likes of Inter, Borussia Dortmund, Spurs and PSV at the Play Off round in the last few years 

1 minute ago, 10menwent2mow said:

Yeah can only do our best. We've had some cracking wee results and performances and a couple of real stinkers as well. Hopefully we can either win the cup or lose the final to Celtic and finish 2nd and give the players a couple of extra weeks off this summer.

Hate to break it to you but everyone goes into the 1st Round next season, even the Cup Winners :lol: 

19 minutes ago, 10menwent2mow said:

There's no doubting that looking at the 22 seeded teams from this year it's very very tough and despite our progress in recent seasons we'd almost certainly fall short. There's a couple we could do well against though. It's just a pity that like previous rounds the draw is not made prior to the completion of QR so that you can assume the seeding.

That reminded me of another failing of the seedings. We're seeded for round 2 this time, meaning we'll definitely be unseeded in round 3. If we were unseeded and beat a seeded team like we've done in the past three seasons we take their seeding, which in 2014 and 2015 was good enough to be seeded in the third round. So by performing reasonably well, and improving our coefficient, we're now at a further disadvantage in the 3rd round. Absolute nonsense.

Hate to break it to you but everyone goes into the 1st Round next season, even the Cup Winners :lol: 

Nah there's a fair chance that won't happen once cl and el title winners slots are decided. As long as the cl and el winners qualify for Europe then everything kinda shifts down one or two spots. An addition 3 cup winners qualified for qr 2 this season.

That reminded me of another failing of the seedings. We're seeded for round 2 this time, meaning we'll definitely be unseeded in round 3. If we were unseeded and beat a seeded team like we've done in the past three seasons we take their seeding, which in 2014 and 2015 was good enough to be seeded in the third round. So by performing reasonably well, and improving our coefficient, we're now at a further disadvantage in the 3rd round. Absolute nonsense.

I think it was only 2015 we were seeded in qr 3. We took groningens coefficient in qr 3 in 2014 but they weren't big enough to be seeded. Beating Rijeka was good enough to be seeded in 2015 and beating seeded ventspils last season wasn't enough.

34 minutes ago, 10menwent2mow said:

I think it was only 2015 we were seeded in qr 3. We took groningens coefficient in qr 3 in 2014 but they weren't big enough to be seeded. Beating Rijeka was good enough to be seeded in 2015 and beating seeded ventspils last season wasn't enough.

Oh of course, Sociedad would definitely have been seeded. Still, it's rather stupid that you can get better but make it harder for yourself!

On 2/9/2017 at 14:44, Illgresi said:

Having listened to that abortion of a Sportsound episode the other night, I thought we might like to discuss the run up to the split and have a guess at how the table will look at the end of the season. The four teams that have a realistic chance being Aberdeen, Rangers, Hearts, and St. Johnstone. Fixtures up to the split are:

Aberdeen - Motherwell (h), Kilmarnock (a), County (h), Hamilton (a), Motherwell (h), Hearts (h), Dundee (a), ICT (h), Rangers (h), St. Johnstone (a)

Rangers - Dundee (a), ICT (a), St. Johnstone (h), Celtic (a), Hamilton (h), Motherwell (h), Kilmarnock (a), Aberdeen (a), Thistle (h)

Hearts - ICT (h), Thistle (a), County (h), Hamilton (h), Aberdeen (a), Celtic (h), St. Johnstone (a), Dundee (h), Kilmarnock (a)

St. Johnstone - County (a), Kilmarnock (h), Rangers (a), Dundee (h), Motherwell (a), Hamilton (a), Hearts (h), ICT (a), Aberdeen (h)

From a Dons perspective our remaining fixtures are all but perfect, with the only one I'm somewhat worried about being McDiarmid park just before the split. By that I mean, the games against the tougher teams (or teams we usually struggle against) are all at home. I see no reason why we shouldn't be looking to take 28-30 points from our remaining fixtures before the split. That said, we're still liable for a complete f**k up somewhere along the lines.

For the filth, the next four games a crucial. They're on a poor run of form, and two away ties up next is really not what they need; especially one of them being a Friday night trip to Inverness. Then a home tie against St. Johnstone is also a tough fixture, with the Celtic game being a write off. If they fail to take 7-9 points from the first four games then Hearts will be breathing down their necks by the Jambos come to Pittodrie. I think they'll probably win against Dundee, draw with ICT and St. Johnstone, get utterly hosed by Celtic, win three straight then get beat at Pittodrie, and scrape a win against Thistle making 17 points.

Hearts are a tough one to predict at the minute given how different their squad is. Who knows whether the last two results are just a wee purple patch? That said, their next four fixtures are kind to them, and I would expect them to take all 12 points, setting up a cracking match at Pittodrie. I'd expect Celtic to beat them, and would think they'll get a point at most at McDiarmid, followed by another couple of wins; giving them 19 points in all.

St. Johnstone are another tough pick because they're usually very resolute, but also prone to a lapse in concentration (usually an absolute shiter) ending in a draw or defeat. I reckon they'll take 5 from the first three with draws at County and Rangers. Then I reckon they'll take 6 from the next three games, with a giant horsing at random. Then a win at ICT splitting two draws at home leaving them with 16 points.

So I reckon the table will be:

Aberdeen 71
Rangers 60
Hearts 56
St. Johnstone 50

Thoughts?

No chance Aberdeen will get 71 points by the split, we will lose 1 or 2 games. Think we might end on 71 or 72 points is a bit more realistic.

11 hours ago, RussellAnderson said:

Just getting a chance to play a big name like Sociedad is worth the hike round Eastern Europe. Away day with the Dons is on the bucket list for sure, when I can scrape together enough cash.

The best trip in recent years was to Macedonia. 

Archived