Stenie v The Mighty QP

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was reminiscent of our early season performances. First time for months we just didn't show up. Looked to me that Cook's injury has finally caught up with him. He just could not get in to the game.

Game itself was abysmal. Guess the wind was causing problems but it looked like two poor teams yesterday.

Astonishing the amount of times opposition fans on here claim their team 'doesn't show up' or 'has an off day' against QP. We are in the play offs for a reason. Gus' tactics are too good for most managers in this league I'm afraid.

You are a bit stuck up it seems.

If you look at our previous performances and compare it to yesterday, it was an off day.

Gus's tactics are not "too good for most managers in this league" because as far as I remember when we met at Hampden, you were hapless and could not do anything during the game.

You sit in fourth because other teams didn't play but in a few weeks time we will welcome you with open arms to the battle to avoid relegation

If you look at our previous performances and compare it to yesterday, it was an off day.

Gus's tactics are not "too good for most managers in this league" because as far as I remember when we met at Hampden, you were hapless and could not do anything during the game.

You sit in fourth because other teams didn't play but in a few weeks time we will welcome you with open arms to the battle to avoid relegation

We're on 34 points, we're only a few games away from safety, hardly a relegation fight

No, we are 4th you are bottom. Oh, and you signed our best player in the summer. Pleasing [emoji106]

The result was fair as QP were the more adventurous in attack but much of the game's flow was disrupted by Stenny's roughhouse tactics, supported by inept refereeing. Still, our midfielders stuck at it and football was the winner.

Some very good individual performances and a strong team game again. Delighted Brady got his just reward after being clogged all day. The first 15 we looked a bit ropey at the back and another top drawer save from Muir kept us even. Wharton, again, flawless with his defending and the lunging clearance from Cummins late in the game was the best tackle of the season I've seen. McIlduff looked much more settled and showed promise going forward too. And top marks to Mitchell for his work in closing out the game. Zanatta really looking good as the front line leader and I hope in his absence Orsi gets a start next week as his two short spells have looked very promising.

Most teams at this level will have variable performances and after our two previous games, and the disappointment after the Cup exit, there was a question mark as to whether we had enjoyed our purple patch and might be on a slide. Yesterday knocked that on the head and there's no danger we'll end up at the relegation end of the table. Mark the spot!

All the very best to Gregor Fotheringham. He's been a great addition this season and I was pleased he got to finish the game yesterday, despite the unfortunate circumstances. Hope Docherty's departure was just precautionary.

Vinnie Berry. Far too good.

1 hour ago, CEMSFC said:

His statement is no more 'stuck up' than the tired old 'two poor teams' comment used by those wanting to feel better.

I actually thought it was quite a good game, both teams wanting to pass and run at the defence.    We were better this time, Stenie were better last time.

Stenie have a few decent players, including Furtado, Cook, Berry, although some quite ordinary and Kerr looks a bit of a liability.

The comment about a possible relegation dogfight in a few weeks is perfectly correct, although it applies to each team in the league barring only Livingston (take a look at the table).

However I predict we will finish above Stenie.

Hope Docherty is ok, he is looking a very assured player and a good prospect.

On 10/02/2017 at 14:26, Bring Your Own Socks said:

We've seen at free kicks that ref's can only count up to 8 and nobody in Stenhousemuir can count without using their fingers so I think it's well worth a punt. No more mister nice guy Gus.

I understand now. From the Stenhousemuir website:

Capture.PNG

3 hours ago, CEMSFC said:

Didn't expect tears on this thread. 

pleasinggus.jpg

Feeling the love for our Anton :wub:

Massive win but things could have been different if it wasn’t for that amazing save from Willie (up there with a save DC once made for us against Stennie) They didn’t threaten or create much after that despite seeing a lot of the ball. We did give them a chance second half after a defensive mix up but it was recovered brilliantly by Cummins. Another good finish from Dario – shame we’re losing him for a couple of weeks just when he’s starting to make the difference – and a lovely goal on the break to round things off after Millen’s daft sending off put us under a bit of pressure    

The Stennie fans are correct of course, a few bad results could see us go down the table but I just can’t see it happening right now. Even then it would take 3 or 4 teams below us to go on a good run at the same time. Most folk were tipping us to finish bottom or at the most fight it out with Stennie for that spot. We’re wildly overachieving on that front so QP supporters can be forgiven for getting a bit carried away. I’m pretty sure Gus and the players won’t be though.  

I don't think Queen's Park are going to worry about the scrap for relegation, not after Saturday's result. Had they lost, they would have been suckered into it but they didn't and they're nine points clear from the foot of the table. Given the relative stature of the team, there's probably still some doubts as to what they could actually achieve (much like Albion Rovers last season) but I don't see why they shouldn't aim to finish in the top four. Why not? What's going to hold them back?

The only point this season when they looked in peril - the 3-0 defeat to Stenhousemuir at Hampden - was met with a magnificent response and over the last 13 games, only Livingston boast a better record. Every time I've seen them (all the games at Ochilview), I've been impressed - they've got arguably the best manager in the division and the personnel to flourish (although a prominent goal-scorer wouldn't go amiss but that always seems be the case with the Spiders).

Fair play to them, I say.

Aye, the tonking from Stenie at Hampden (could have been 5 or 6) certainly galvanised Gus and the team; what a change since then!  A defeat on Saturday would have dragged us back into the dogfight at the bottom, but it was another excellent display throughout the team and a wee bit more breathing space.  Millen was a tad unlucky; I saw worse than his challenge going unpunished on Match of the Day.  Muir once again does the business.

It's another HUGE three points.

Soup and steak pie at Ochilview...absolute champion stuff.

ETA - Having had a look at Warriors TV, Millen's second booking is about right.  Loved the match commentary from Gus!  And the run from Mitchell for the second goal is a thing of beauty.

3 hours ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Millen's second booking is about right...... And the run from Mitchell for the second goal is a thing of beauty.

It was the first booking that shouldn't have happened but then again Mitchell wouldn't have been on the park if it hadn't. Weird karma shit!

Gus probably planned the whole thing. :angel

1 hour ago, wee spider said:

The question has to be how many points do you think we need for safety and can't believe I'm saying this how many to STAY in the play offs

Generally, you'd consider yourself very unfortunate to get to 40 points and find yourself in the relegation playoffs. We're six points off that with thirteen games remaining. I did worry about what the Ayr United defeat, followed by the heavy defeat at Peterhead would do to us, but the players have just got themselves back on the horse and taken four points from two difficult games after that. Could have been six. Certainly not counting any chickens, but the form we've shown this season would suggest that we'll be absolutely fine.  

In terms of the other end, 51 points got 4th last season, but it's been as high as 59 and as low as 49. Most teams can put a run together, so it's really hard to know what the magic numbers might be in both instances.

Archived