Stenie v The Mighty QP

It'll be interesting to see the starting line-up for this game.  All of the loan players in?   Presumably McGeever is available; him and Wharton at the back?  The bearded one has been terrific since his recall and it would be a bit of a shame if he were to be dropped in the potential shuffle.  Still, you get loan players on the basis that there's an understanding to play them regularly.

We didn't play very well last week, but sneaked a draw and very nearly stole a win.  Happy to steal a win on Saturday; we're doing well, but the bottom of the division ain't that far away now, what with the teams down there picking up regular wins.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fourth top scorers in the league but the worst defence, by a mile. But 7 from 9 in the last three games suggests something's clicked at last for Stenie. Hopefully they're reliant on David Marsh who misses this game.

Can't figure out the best strike combination for us but surely we'll start banging a few in soon. McGeever back will help and Wharton has been great for a month now. If Gibby's fit I'd be inclined to give Cummins a rest. If Fotheringham is leaving Gus might be tempted to leave him out but the guy's been terrific for us and deserves a farewell from the fans. Maybe another great goal for the road Gregor? Need to be at it from the whistle.

I actually was at the QP game at the weekend. No doubt that East Fife were the much better team and QP were a little fortunate to get away with a point. Was encouraged with how much joy the wide players got for East Fife. Hopefully Cook and Willis will have as much fun. There is no doubt this is our biggest attacking threat. We go into this with a degree of confidence. We will miss Marsh.

Don't see why Stenhousemuir can't win this on Saturday. We weren't very good against Queen's Park in our last two matches against them at Ochilview but we're playing well enough at the moment and we'll surely give them a lot more to think about than we did at the start of the year.

David Marsh will be a loss, sure, but we can move Ross Meechan into centre-back and bring Jamie McCormack into the starting XI.

At worst, I think we'll draw this.

19 hours ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Presumably McGeever is available; him and Wharton at the back?  The bearded one has been terrific since his recall and it would be a bit of a shame if he were to be dropped in the potential shuffle.  Still, you get loan players on the basis that there's an understanding to play them regularly.

None of the loan players are centre halves though. I imagine Mitchell will drop out and Millen will go back to his usual position on the right with McGeever in the centre  

That is bad news about Miller. His partnership with wee Vincent has been one of the keys to our resurgence. We dont have an obvious replacement but I would imagine Stephen Stirling will fill in. My confidence levels are waning.

Given the state of refereeing this season I think we could smuggle on an extra striker and nobody would notice. We've seen at free kicks that ref's can only count up to 8 and nobody in Stenhousemuir can count without using their fingers so I think it's well worth a punt. No more mister nice guy Gus.

Fair play to Queen's Park, they were the better team over the 90 minutes and they deserved their win. They were hard, niggly and dogged and they did what they needed to do, scoring two very well-taken goals along the way.

Other than Colin McMenamin's header in the opening 10 minutes (which forced Wullie Muir into a world-class save), Stenhousemuir offered very little. They saw a fair bit of the ball, especially after Ross Millen's dismissal, but they just couldn't do anything with it. Too many of the team's important attacking players - Alan Cook, Oliver Shaw, Willis Furtado, McMenamin - didn't play to the expected standard and we couldn't really force their opponents. Bryan Wharton and Ryan McGeever stood firm. I think we missed Kieran Millar in the middle of the park, as Stephen Stirling looked a little hesitant at times.

Shouts to Vinnie Berry, though, he had a pretty good game and looked to drive the team forward whenever he was on the ball. He's had a pretty good season, all things considered, and I reckon he's been out best player over the last seven months.

A real opportunity missed and Stenhousemuir return to the foot of the table. We could have brought Queen's Park right into the relegation scrap but just couldn't do enough. Perhaps most disappointing of all was that Anton Brady scored the decisive goal - the little pissant mouthpiece had annoyed me all afternoon with his eagerness to get involved in the silliest of incidents - but he finished well, so fair play to him.

24 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Shouts to Vinnie Berry, though, he had a pretty good game and looked to drive the team forward whenever he was on the ball. He's had a pretty good season, all things considered, and I reckon he's been out best player over the last seven months.

to be fair, we did suggest to you back in the summer that he would be

When you allow the opposition to drive at you into the box without tackling then you are going to get punished and that is what happened. We really missed Miller and also failed to put them under pressure. There were certain things going on that the referee should have dealt with as well but if he lets it go then people will play on it. Better team won in the end.

Anton Brady dispicable little shit.

Massive result which give us a bit of breathing space from the bottom 2. Thought we thouraghly deserved the win with a solid, hardworking performance. The return of Mcgeever and the quality that Zanatta has in his locker were huge factors in the win, although special mention to Anton Brady who once again put in another fantastic performance. One of the first names on the team sheet for me. Fantastic run by Mitchell for the 2nd goal and a quality finish by Zanatta for the 1st. More of the same next week please 

Was at this game today as a neutral, thought qp absolutely bossed this and stenny didnt show up, very poor going forward offered very little, special mention to the no4 for qp i've loved watching him in our first 2 games and today was no difference..big zanatta up top aswell looks like a good prospect.

Sorry but i'm glad big millen is out i think he is a great player.

Makes for a good game next week.

Sadly missed the first twenty minutes of the game due to some hungover friends/forgetting my wallet but what I did see was great.

Stenny only got into the game after the red card. Zanatta is looking better with every game, will turn out to be a great player for Hearts. Orsi also looked decent when he came on, holding the ball up well.

Great play by Mitchell for the second to secure the win. Also, we are clearly a better team with McGeever in the team, surprised no one has looked at him yet.

Kerr was hilarious in his "look at me, I'm an angry man" routine that he perfected throughout the game. Also, DC just screaming fuck off to his defenders for most of the second half was also a delight.

Archived