Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
8MileBU

Scottish Islands

Recommended Posts

On 04/06/2017 at 13:26, The Mantis said:

Oh right. Was up there last year at the famous chip shop where I had scallops :thumsup2 also helped lug boats up and down the place for regattas. My brother in law is big into bluegrass music and is/was one third of The Wishart Family. Amazing how many international musicians have stayed at that house over the years. My nephews are in Kansa. Had some great nights in Sandwick given that Chris Stout is from there and Gary Petersen lives there.

 

I'm from Sandwick. Sounds like you're well acquainted with my old headteacher!

Live away now (although actually back up on Thursday). I really fancy doing a tour of all the beaches over a week or so at some point, some of them are incredible and didn't appreciate them when younger. Just finding the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, throbber said:

Does Invergowrie Arab work for the Skye tourist board?

You are right. I should put people off and the accommodation prices might come down.

It is my favourite place on earth though and I have old family ties there. I will move there one day.

It could really do with a premier inn and park and ride at Kyleakin though. Public transport there is a fucking nonsense. Especially if you want to visit Glen Brittle in summer which literally thousands a day do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A work colleague just sent me this five mins ago:

44c4e60e8301400193470dd0deaa274a.jpg

I've been before but still slightly jealous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just back from Inverie on Knoydart. It's an island of the mind! (Connected to the mainland only by a bloody long walk or by a wee ferry to Mallaig.)

Keeping up the theme of posting your beer...

59700b5b31b72a36aadffa6f3f07c010.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I have indeed grossly underestimated the accommodation availability on Skye :lol: 

I shit you not if I was planning an August visit I would book a year in advance. I'll enthrall you all one day with a paper I wrote about our rural infrastructure not being fit to cope with the demands expected of tourist income projections.

I usually go in May. Before school holidays, before the midges and usually best weather. I'll be going September this year which is also a decent option.

Plockton, Kyle of Lochalsh, Dornie etc are only a half hour drive away and sometimes give better options, you would be driving about anyway.

Often self catering cottages are just as cheap or cheaper than hotels.

 

Edited by invergowrie arab

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

I shit you not if I was planning an August visit I would book a year in advance. I'll enthrall you all one day with a paper I wrote about our rural infrastructure not being fit to cope with the demands expected of tourist income projections.

I usually go in May. Before school holidays, before the midges and usually best weather. I'll be going September this year which is also a decent option.

Plockton, Kyle of Lochalsh, Dornie etc are only a half hour drive away and sometimes give better options, you would be driving about anyway.

Often self catering cottages are just as cheap or cheaper than hotels.

 

Where is best to look for self-catering cottages etc? Airbnb?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep Airbnb is cheapest. Careful what you look at though. They don't bother telling you they don't have anything in that area they just give you the nearest thing they have so you can find a great wee place and it turns out it's on Lewis ( I think it's more obvious web based but in mobile it does this)

Other ones I use are walkhighlands which has a good search facility  https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/cottages.shtml and self catering Scotland http://www.self-catering-scotland.com

If you don't find anything on Skye consider Kintail and Lochalsh as alternative base.

 

 

Edited by invergowrie arab

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We stayed at the cowshed in Uig last year, great location, can't wait to go back, Skye is one of the best places on the planet imo,

 

 

thumb_IMG_20160824_200857_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_20160824_200836_1024.jpg

Edited by stevieKTID

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I have indeed grossly underestimated the accommodation availability on Skye :lol: 

I'm going for 2 days work in early September - cheapest hotel £230 a night :blink:  and that was from going through four or five comparison sites which were all saying "98% booked for the period you are looking for, please try another date" Aye well when the Scottish Govt wants me to go is when I have to go so I'm AirBnBing a B&B at £65 a night instead.

Thinking of all you taxpayers who are funding this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Yep Airbnb is cheapest. Careful what you look at though. They don't bother telling you they don't have anything in that area they just give you the nearest thing they have so you can find a great wee place and it turns out it's on Lewis ( I think it's more obvious web based but in mobile it does this)

I used the website and it gave a map with little signs at each different location telling you how much it costs, was very easy to find somewhere within a couple of miles of Portree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×