Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
8MileBU

Scottish Islands

49 posts in this topic

I love visiting Scottish Islands. So far I've visited the following:
 
Orkney
Mainland, Rousay, Burray, South Ronaldsay.
 
Western Isles etc
Lewis/Harris, Great Bernera, Scalpay, Berneray, North Uist, Baleshare, Grimsay, Kirkibost, Benbecula, South Uist, Eriskay, Barra, Vatersay, Hirta (St Kilda), Tanera Mor (Summer Isles)
 
Inner Hebrides
Mull, Ulva, Gometra, Iona, Staffa, Lunga (Treshnish Isles), Coll, Tiree, Lismore, Eriska, Kerrera, Canna, Sanday, Rum, Eigg, Muck, Skye, Raasay, Eilean Tigh, Fladday, Seil, Easdale, Luing, Belnahua, Colonsay, Oronsay, Jura, Islay, Danna, Bute, Arran, Great Cumbrae, Gigha, Davaar.
 
Any other island geeks should get the fantastic book The Scottish Islands by Hamish Haswell-Smith. There's no better book on the subject although the author would discount a few of the islands listed above for being joined by bridges or being tidal (drying islands). He's fortunate enough to have a yacht and has been everywhere it seems.
The islands all have their own charm and I think the weather certainly plays a part on how you feel about certain islands. I really enjoy the effort getting to them but my favourites are Gigha and Tiree because the weather was great when I visited and St Kilda cause it was a hellish crossing but an absolutely spectacular location. Least favourite was Lewis as it rained all the time I was there. 
Looking to get up to Shetland soon and fancy ticking off a few more round Skye.


You've fair been around the Islands B.R. Good effort. Might have a look for that book you mentioned as well. Definitely need to get myself a yacht!
3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 
Any other island geeks should get the fantastic book The Scottish Islands by Hamish Haswell-Smith. There's no better book on the subject although the author would discount a few of the islands listed above for being joined by bridges or being tidal (drying islands). He's fortunate enough to have a yacht and has been everywhere it seems.

I got this book about 5 years ago and agree it's worth getting if you plan to visit a few islands over time. Loads of great information on the history, geology etc of the islands.
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Big Rider said:

I love visiting Scottish Islands. So far I've visited the following:

 

Orkney

Mainland, Rousay, Burray, South Ronaldsay.

 

Western Isles etc

Lewis/Harris, Great Bernera, Scalpay, Berneray, North Uist, Baleshare, Grimsay, Kirkibost, Benbecula, South Uist, Eriskay, Barra, Vatersay, Hirta (St Kilda), Tanera Mor (Summer Isles)

 

Inner Hebrides

Mull, Ulva, Gometra, Iona, Staffa, Lunga (Treshnish Isles), Coll, Tiree, Lismore, Eriska, Kerrera, Canna, Sanday, Rum, Eigg, Muck, Skye, Raasay, Eilean Tigh, Fladday, Seil, Easdale, Luing, Belnahua, Colonsay, Oronsay, Jura, Islay, Danna, Bute, Arran, Great Cumbrae, Gigha, Davaar.

 

 

Good list bud. I'm off to Lewis with the missus next Thurs, we go about 4 times a year as her family home is there. Shame you never got the weather. As I said somewhere else, Uig is absolutely fantastic and the beaches are as good as anywhere in Harris.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been camping on the Scottish Isles the last couple of years and loved it. Been to the following

Orkney - mainland, south Ronaldsay, burray and Sanday.

Skye, Lewis, harris, mull, iona, ulva, staffa, arran, cumbrae, Millport, bute.

Potential targets this year are islay, barra and St Kilda

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, The Mantis said:

Good list bud. I'm off to Lewis with the missus next Thurs, we go about 4 times a year as her family home is there. Shame you never got the weather. As I said somewhere else, Uig is absolutely fantastic and the beaches are as good as anywhere in Harris.

Me and the wife had done the hopscotch tour starting at Barra and heading north to Lewis. The weather had been great until we got to Lewis and I got the feeling we didn't see the best of it. Wouldn't mind a trip back and will bear in mind your recommendations.

We've been to Tiree 3 times. The first 2 visits were glorious however the weather on the 3rd visit was so poor it would have dampened my enthusiasm if I hadn't had such good previous trips.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's one I forgot about that anybody that's taken the train from Glasgow to Aberdeen will have visited (albeit briefly):

Moncreiffe+Island+Perth

It's called Moncreiffe island apparently.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Here's one I forgot about that anybody that's taken the train from Glasgow to Aberdeen will have visited (albeit briefly):

Moncreiffe+Island+Perth

It's called Moncreiffe island apparently.

Been there for a walk last year. It's really nice but the golf course has spoiled it. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whole family's from Barra more or less. A few from Eriskay.

There's nowhere better on a good summer's day. White sand beaches to yourself. Unfortunately the weather rarely co-operates. May and June are probably the best months. If anyone's in Barra Mingulay is good for a day trip as well. The scale of the cliffs is pretty stunning.

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bute, Arran,Lismore, Mull, Iona, Rum, Skye, Raasay, Summer Isles, Lewis, Harris, Scalpay

Plan is Orkney this year.

Go to Skye at least once a year, absolutely fabulous in every way. 

Was pleasantly surprised by Arran, once you get out of Brodick which is a typical Clyde steamer visiting shitehole it's really nice.

Harris is absolutely beautiful but you need to be happy to sit with a book enjoying the scenery, not much to do.

Elgol Skye

576426_10150772431574427_1574884891_n.jp

Scarista, Harrris

1011880_10151702523049427_2139389944_n.j

Glen Sligachan, Skye

13165918_10154276688789427_1639712856725

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.