Scottish Islands

8MileBU

On 13/08/2023 at 20:42, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Finished off a long weekend based at Tarbert with a trip over to Arran today. Third island of the weekend and my 7th and 8th ferry journey!

I’ve never really been to Arran. One previous trip which amounted to an over-and-back trip to Brodick. Also skirted around it on the Waverley once.

Have always imagined it to be overrated, and I’m still slightly sceptical about it (too busy; too close to feel like a proper Calmac adventure) but I did enjoy my wee walk today around the Fairy Dell.

Was only over as a foot passenger on the Catriona today and time limited by need to catch a particular ferry back to Claonaig to begin my long journey home.

Drove back via Kilberry Stones and found the place where they filmed the opening credits of the Crow Road.

Seems like a long time since I left the house on Friday morning, which is a good sign I suppose. Expect to sleep well tonight!

IMG_8244.jpeg

IMG_8248.jpeg

You will have driven past my family home on the way round the Kilberry road. A good few scenes of Crow Road were filmed at Ardpatrick House about a mile down a rough road from the family home at Ardpatrick crossing. The house is in an absolute stunning location looking over the West Loch.

We fished all round the North of Gigha (mainly around a rock formation known as "The Stirks") and the shoreline right around that end is amazing although it's pretty dangerous even for small boats. Beautiful area with some well hidden treasures including the caves at Kilberry Head and a couple of amazing remote beaches most notably at Kintallan Bay and Stronefield in Loch Stornoway. 

• 2 weeks later...

You don’t get much for £5.6m (plus £3.4m conversion) these days.

The MV Utne has developed a nasty dose of Calmacitis and is stuck in Craignure for three days. 

And so my wee half day Bank Holiday trip to Mull has been scuppered.

Yet to make it aboard the Utne. But at least I get to stare malevolently at it from close distance as I await my ferry turning around to dump me back in Oban.

IMG_8377.jpeg

IMG_8378.jpeg

On 15/08/2023 at 11:24, The Mantis said:

Had a week in Shetland during the Tall Ships. However we went off to Lewis 3 days later so I'm only getting round to sorting out the photos. Stayed with in-laws in Sandwick but went off up north for a couple of nights, to Yell and Fetlar. Only downside was not getting tickets for Peat & Diesel. 5000 tickets, sold out in a morning.

Hoswick from the road into Sandwick. Mossy Hill right, and Sumburgh Head in the distant centre.R5__1107.thumb.jpg.24393b1747331722c2e0a3fb3178d731.jpg

DJI_0204.thumb.jpg.31afdb136740bf403ff543e70ef95ea0.jpg

DJI_0221.thumb.jpg.9e3ff2c2500276c01e9796d87872f18e.jpg

Vaila Mae dwarfed by the big boat full of Sagas. Brian Wishart and Marc Chivers training some youngsters.R5__1120.thumb.jpg.bac3e6aa05b7333c6f4b0a4c33fc98bf.jpg

Arctic Skua or Skooty AllanR5__1525-Enhanced-NR.thumb.jpg.4edf9cec88fa907ead1df8656947cd16.jpg

Yell landscapeDJI_0250.thumb.jpg.951a331a24218a360e4fa4f96ba054fb.jpg

Fetlar. Genuinely the most bleak place I’ve ever been. 5/6 hours felt like 5/6 months.

1 hour ago, 8MileBU said:

Fetlar. Genuinely the most bleak place I’ve ever been. 5/6 hours felt like 5/6 months.

It's actually far more fertile than Yell which you must have travelled through to get to Fetlar. Yell has the reputation that you draw the blinds on the side windows as you pass through. The bird life on Fetlar is tremendous though.

Yell landscape:

image.thumb.jpeg.c6eac181122aeec4ef5c35e4c54ed39b.jpeg

Never been but always heard that about Fetlar being the garden of Shetland and stuff like that. Most of Yell is one big peat bog basically. Guess the bits around where the ferrys arrive at either end are not that bad when the weather's behaving itself to be fair but definitely not a recommended holiday destination. The picture of Sandwick makes me homesick for some crew biscuits from there topped with butter and salt and some milk straight fae the byre wi nane o that pasteurisation nonsense.

On 28/08/2023 at 15:36, The Mantis said:

It's actually far more fertile than Yell which you must have travelled through to get to Fetlar. Yell has the reputation that you draw the blinds on the side windows as you pass through. The bird life on Fetlar is tremendous though.

Yell landscape:

image.thumb.jpeg.c6eac181122aeec4ef5c35e4c54ed39b.jpeg

When I was there it was for work on a day it was dark, grey and pissing rain sideways. 

However I did have possibly the best flapjack I’ve ever tasted at the wee cafe.

• 2 weeks later...

I've looked through a bit of this thread and the pictures are fantastic.

a couple of weeks back, we went on a visit to Easdale Island and loved it

In a couple of weeks time we're back in Scotland again and want to do a bit of camping, either on a site or just wherever. Are there any other little island that are nice to visit that wont absolutely take the piss with a fare for the ferry?

If you did Easdale then you might have done Lismore already. If not then it's beautifully located and easy to get around. If you can get to Port Appin for the local ferry (lobster creels on the boat too!) then the journey is an added bonus - Port Appin/Castle Stalker is also a beautiful part of the mainland.