Scottish Islands

8MileBU

On 7/11/2017 at 18:38, 8MileBU said:

A work colleague just sent me this five mins ago:

44c4e60e8301400193470dd0deaa274a.jpg

I was there 2 days afterwards but the weather wasn't quite to nice.

I visited Barra as part of a holiday taking in Coll, Tiree, Barra, then onto Eriskay, South Uist, Benbecula, North Uist, Harris, Lewis and Skye.

Highlights - the beaches on Coll, loved cycling in Tiree, watching the plane land on the beach at Barra, cycling in South Uist, the beaches in Harris (especially Luskentyre), the Blackhouses in Lewis, Stornaway and everything on Skye. 

I was there 2 days afterwards but the weather wasn't quite to nice.
I visited Barra as part of a holiday taking in Coll, Tiree, Barra, then onto Eriskay, South Uist, Benbecula, North Uist, Harris, Lewis and Skye.
Highlights - the beaches on Coll, loved cycling in Tiree, watching the plane land on the beach at Barra, cycling in South Uist, the beaches in Harris (especially Luskentyre), the Blackhouses in Lewis, Stornaway and everything on Skye. 

Barra is lovely. Coll and Tiree do indeed have beautiful beaches. North Uist, South Uist and Benbecula weren’t quite as exciting although I was working & the weather was pish.

Skye I have yet to properly visit/explore as I’ve only ever made a brief visit for a days work. I’ve heard it’s beyond a joke up there now trying to get accommodation, and when you do it costs an arm and a leg apparently because it’s just so busy.

Still not been to Lewis & Harris yet.

On 2/6/2018 at 23:19, 8MileBU said:

Skye I have yet to properly visit/explore as I’ve only ever made a brief visit for a days work. I’ve heard it’s beyond a joke up there now trying to get accommodation, and when you do it costs an arm and a leg apparently because it’s just so busy.

We stayed in a B&B at Carbost, which was very reasonable and quite central.  The view over Loch Harport was stunning.

Despite being from Ayrshire I found myself over 3 decades on this earth and I’ve never been to Arran.

Went for an overnighter last night and stayed at the Auchrannie. Very nice hotel, island is not too bad but very little to do if your just roaming around. Will head back over with the bike in the summer though.

Skye I have yet to properly visit/explore as I’ve only ever made a brief visit for a days work. I’ve heard it’s beyond a joke up there now trying to get accommodation

It’s actually not, you probably heard that on the BBC Scotland news story they had on it but locals were annoyed about it as it wasn’t a fair representation of B&B vacancies. The Fairy Pools and other popular attractions need public toilet facilities and better parking though.

On 11/02/2018 at 08:20, throbber said:

It’s actually not, you probably heard that on the BBC Scotland news story they had on it but locals were annoyed about it as it wasn’t a fair representation of B&B vacancies. The Fairy Pools and other popular attractions need public toilet facilities and better parking though.

Pretty much this. You can still go to Talisker Bay mid July and not see a soul.

The fairy pools is a shambles. They need better parking or better still, limit access walkers, cycles and shuttle busses from Sligachan or Carbost.On a bright blue Skye day they are amazing but even one cloud and it is any other set of wee waterfalls.

There are actually a number of other alternatives to the fairy pools that are just as good but I'm not telling anyone where.

Been working in Shetland this past week, its a bit like Lewis but with all of the fun things taken away.

1. Having the main road to and from the airport actually going over the runway was novel - I hope that wee man in his hut doesn't have to stay there all day.
  2. The luggage belt was broken at the airport which meant we all had to deposit our own luggage through the x-ray machine out the back.
  3. There is literally nothing interesting in Lerwick at all.
  4. .....or anywhere else.
  5. Give me Stornoway any day of the week.
Edited by Jason King

• 3 weeks later...
On 2018/02/19 at 15:04, Jason King said:
  1. There is literally nothing interesting in Lerwick at all.
  2. .....or anywhere else.

When the weather is decent and the days are longer to the point that it never really gets fully dark, there's plenty to see in Shetland. You were there at the worst possible time of year, basically.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Next week I'm heading for Arran (no advice needed for there) before going to Islay, Colonsay and Skye. Any advice on what to see, where to go etc on the last three would be welcome. Hoping to do a bit of walking on each island plus maybe some less energetic stuff.

Next week I'm heading for Arran (no advice needed for there) before going to Islay, Colonsay and Skye. Any advice on what to see, where to go etc on the last three would be welcome. Hoping to do a bit of walking on each island plus maybe some less energetic stuff.

Islay has a whack of Distilleries (as I’m sure you’re aware), Finlaggan and a nice beach at Port Ellen.

Colonsay has a few cracking wee beaches and you can drive round the island in about half an hour or so.

Been to Skye to do a couple hours work and catch a boat to North Uist but not a place I’ve explored.

Islay has a whack of Distilleries (as I’m sure you’re aware), Finlaggan and a nice beach at Port Ellen.

Colonsay has a few cracking wee beaches and you can drive round the island in about half an hour or so.

Been to Skye to do a couple hours work and catch a boat to North Uist but not a place I’ve explored.

A distillery tour on Islay is very much a necessity and I will do that although I am only going to be there for one full day but I've got time on the arrival/departure days to do stuff too. Hopefully a bit of walking on the full day and the tour on one of the others. I'm on Colonsay Wednesday to Saturday so I'm sure I'll get plenty of opportunities to see the island in all it's glory.

On Skye both distilleries are worth visiting. Talisker and Torabhaig. Give Dunvegan castle a bye-shite.

For big walks you can't beat Blà Bheinn for a view of the Cuillin. For less energetic walks Talisker Bay, Fairy Pools (only if it's sunny), Quinag, Neist Point.

Last time I was there waterfalls at talisker bay and neist were going backwards.

Forget Portree. Nothing there unless you want fish and chips.

Depends where you are staying on Skye really if I was going to recommend eating out and pubs.

Islay - must do is a trip to Lagavulin or Laphroaig or both, followed by lunch at Ardbeg, followed by trip to Seal Bay and Kildalton Cross. Dinner in Port Ellen. Lagavulin warehouse tour is the one you want.

On one of your ferry days if ferry is Port Askaig then drive to Bunnahabhain. Brilliant views over to Jura and bloody nice people at the distillery.

Other must sees are beach near Kilchoman distillery, and a wander around / pub lunch in Port Charlotte.

If you like any of whisky, beaches, birding or Celtic crosses then Islay is the place for you!

ps. Peatzeria in Bowmore is very good, and Celtic House upstairs cafe sells the best coffee.

On Skye both distilleries are worth visiting. Talisker and Torabhaig. Give Dunvegan castle a bye-shite.
For big walks you can't beat Blà Bheinn for a view of the Cuillin. For less energetic walks Talisker Bay, Fairy Pools (only if it's sunny), Quinag, Neist Point.
Last time I was there waterfalls at talisker bay and neist were going backwards.
Forget Portree. Nothing there unless you want fish and chips.
Depends where you are staying on Skye really if I was going to recommend eating out and pubs.

I'm camping so I haven't booked anything and tbh I think I could be staying somewhere different each night as it looks like quite a big island.

Islay - must do is a trip to Lagavulin or Laphroaig or both, followed by lunch at Ardbeg, followed by trip to Seal Bay and Kildalton Cross. Dinner in Port Ellen. Lagavulin warehouse tour is the one you want.

On one of your ferry days if ferry is Port Askaig then drive to Bunnahabhain. Brilliant views over to Jura and bloody nice people at the distillery.

Other must sees are beach near Kilchoman distillery, and a wander around / pub lunch in Port Charlotte.

If you like any of whisky, beaches, birding or Celtic crosses then Islay is the place for you!

ps. Peatzeria in Bowmore is very good, and Celtic House upstairs cafe sells the best coffee.

Thanks for all that. I'll be camping at Port Charlotte so a wander round will be happening. Both ferries are Port Askaig so I was thinking about Bunnahabhain due to proximity.

33 minutes ago, virginton said:

Portree's not that bad - the local's pub down at the harbour is fairly lively and the Isles Inn is decent as well.  As a base for exploring the rest of the island it does the job. 

It's not a pit or anything. Just not loads to see or do.

If you have a night around Sleat the Clan Donald centre has a lively bar and has does Skye tapas. Am Praban bar at Eilean Iarmain is good too.

If you head to Minginish the Carbost inn is great. 

There is the campsite at Sligachan. Near to road but right beside the bar. Bit of a warehouse vibe but sure to be stowed out in summer.

If you are coming over the bridge Kyleakin has a few bars and seems to attract a younger crowd.

Further north settlements and pubs get a bit more sporadic and you just have to take what you are given. Decent folk sessions at Edinbane if that's your thing.