Scottish Islands

8MileBU

I love visiting Scottish Islands. So far I've visited the following:

Orkney
Mainland, Rousay, Burray, South Ronaldsay.

Western Isles etc
Lewis/Harris, Great Bernera, Scalpay, Berneray, North Uist, Baleshare, Grimsay, Kirkibost, Benbecula, South Uist, Eriskay, Barra, Vatersay, Hirta (St Kilda), Tanera Mor (Summer Isles)

Inner Hebrides
Mull, Ulva, Gometra, Iona, Staffa, Lunga (Treshnish Isles), Coll, Tiree, Lismore, Eriska, Kerrera, Canna, Sanday, Rum, Eigg, Muck, Skye, Raasay, Eilean Tigh, Fladday, Seil, Easdale, Luing, Belnahua, Colonsay, Oronsay, Jura, Islay, Danna, Bute, Arran, Great Cumbrae, Gigha, Davaar.

Any other island geeks should get the fantastic book The Scottish Islands by Hamish Haswell-Smith. There's no better book on the subject although the author would discount a few of the islands listed above for being joined by bridges or being tidal (drying islands). He's fortunate enough to have a yacht and has been everywhere it seems.
The islands all have their own charm and I think the weather certainly plays a part on how you feel about certain islands. I really enjoy the effort getting to them but my favourites are Gigha and Tiree because the weather was great when I visited and St Kilda cause it was a hellish crossing but an absolutely spectacular location. Least favourite was Lewis as it rained all the time I was there. 
Looking to get up to Shetland soon and fancy ticking off a few more round Skye.

You've fair been around the Islands B.R. Good effort. Might have a look for that book you mentioned as well. Definitely need to get myself a yacht! [emoji1]

Any other island geeks should get the fantastic book The Scottish Islands by Hamish Haswell-Smith. There's no better book on the subject although the author would discount a few of the islands listed above for being joined by bridges or being tidal (drying islands). He's fortunate enough to have a yacht and has been everywhere it seems.

I got this book about 5 years ago and agree it's worth getting if you plan to visit a few islands over time. Loads of great information on the history, geology etc of the islands.

10 hours ago, Big Rider said:

I love visiting Scottish Islands. So far I've visited the following:

Orkney

Mainland, Rousay, Burray, South Ronaldsay.

Western Isles etc

Lewis/Harris, Great Bernera, Scalpay, Berneray, North Uist, Baleshare, Grimsay, Kirkibost, Benbecula, South Uist, Eriskay, Barra, Vatersay, Hirta (St Kilda), Tanera Mor (Summer Isles)

Inner Hebrides

Mull, Ulva, Gometra, Iona, Staffa, Lunga (Treshnish Isles), Coll, Tiree, Lismore, Eriska, Kerrera, Canna, Sanday, Rum, Eigg, Muck, Skye, Raasay, Eilean Tigh, Fladday, Seil, Easdale, Luing, Belnahua, Colonsay, Oronsay, Jura, Islay, Danna, Bute, Arran, Great Cumbrae, Gigha, Davaar.

Good list bud. I'm off to Lewis with the missus next Thurs, we go about 4 times a year as her family home is there. Shame you never got the weather. As I said somewhere else, Uig is absolutely fantastic and the beaches are as good as anywhere in Harris.

Been camping on the Scottish Isles the last couple of years and loved it. Been to the following

Orkney - mainland, south Ronaldsay, burray and Sanday.

Skye, Lewis, harris, mull, iona, ulva, staffa, arran, cumbrae, Millport, bute.

Potential targets this year are islay, barra and St Kilda

22 hours ago, The Mantis said:

Good list bud. I'm off to Lewis with the missus next Thurs, we go about 4 times a year as her family home is there. Shame you never got the weather. As I said somewhere else, Uig is absolutely fantastic and the beaches are as good as anywhere in Harris.

Me and the wife had done the hopscotch tour starting at Barra and heading north to Lewis. The weather had been great until we got to Lewis and I got the feeling we didn't see the best of it. Wouldn't mind a trip back and will bear in mind your recommendations.

We've been to Tiree 3 times. The first 2 visits were glorious however the weather on the 3rd visit was so poor it would have dampened my enthusiasm if I hadn't had such good previous trips.

3 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Here's one I forgot about that anybody that's taken the train from Glasgow to Aberdeen will have visited (albeit briefly):

Moncreiffe+Island+Perth

It's called Moncreiffe island apparently.

Been there for a walk last year. It's really nice but the golf course has spoiled it. 

Whole family's from Barra more or less. A few from Eriskay.

There's nowhere better on a good summer's day. White sand beaches to yourself. Unfortunately the weather rarely co-operates. May and June are probably the best months. If anyone's in Barra Mingulay is good for a day trip as well. The scale of the cliffs is pretty stunning.

Bute, Arran,Lismore, Mull, Iona, Rum, Skye, Raasay, Summer Isles, Lewis, Harris, Scalpay

Plan is Orkney this year.

Go to Skye at least once a year, absolutely fabulous in every way. 

Was pleasantly surprised by Arran, once you get out of Brodick which is a typical Clyde steamer visiting shitehole it's really nice.

Harris is absolutely beautiful but you need to be happy to sit with a book enjoying the scenery, not much to do.

Elgol Skye

576426_10150772431574427_1574884891_n.jp

Scarista, Harrris

1011880_10151702523049427_2139389944_n.j

Glen Sligachan, Skye

13165918_10154276688789427_1639712856725

• 3 months later...

Who needs to go abroad when you've got places like this on your doorstep :thumsup2

I've been to the popular ones like Bute, Arran, Cumbrae, Skye etc. but plan on seeing a lot of the less well known ones in the next few years.  Are there any like week long cruises that stop in a different island every day?  That would be one way to tick a good few off the list.

Who needs to go abroad when you've got places like this on your doorstep :thumsup2
I've been to the popular ones like Bute, Arran, Cumbrae, Skye etc. but plan on seeing a lot of the less well known ones in the next few years.  Are there any like week long cruises that stop in a different island every day?  That would be one way to tick a good few off the list.

Aye, like Mantis said, Calmac do an island-hopper ticket so have a look on their website.

One of my best holidays as a child was going over to Mull, absolutely loved it, and it is one memory from my childhood I can really remember clear as day.  

Going to take the Mrs up at the start of August all through the Highlands and tick off a couple of Islands whilst we are at it. So far she has only really been to Achmelvich in Scotland which she fell in love with. 

I revisited Bute this time last week: got off the ferry at 12:30 and linked up with the West Island Way on the outskirts of Rothesay, which then takes the back road route to Port Bannatyne and across the island to Ettrick Bay. you can cross from coast to coast there in a 45 minute walk. The sea fog was rolling in en route but had burned away by the time I got to Ettrick Bay  at 2 in the afternoon, with this view from the beach across to Arran. 

1495843717041.thumb.jpg.0b85bfde1a35c3a4c0dce9f50db8f187.jpg

As well as the cafe at Ettrick Bay they're in the process of building a campsite with lodges there: it'd have been a great place to stay overnight last Thursday-Friday. Instead I retraced the easy roadside path to Port Bannatyne and the pub. The Anchor Tavern was open but my first choice The Port Inn doesn't open until 5 Monday-Thursday. It had a superb beer garden out the back when it did open though. Bus back to Rothesay in time for a quick one in the Black Bull and a bottle for the ferry to the Clyde Riviera. A few drinks in the Station Bar at Wemyss Bay is worthwhile too. 

All in all a far more enjoyable and civilised day out from the Central Belt than the Ayrshire coast, which was swarming with Greater Glasgow's scheme goblins and their fifteen children each on the following day. 

Did the Shetlands last week and it was truly breathtaking in places - my only complaint is that we didn't have enough time to do all the things I/we wanted to do. I watched a game at a pitch in Lerwick called Seafield, and it is easily the most scenic backdrop I have ever had for a football match.

Dependent on Linfield's European draw I plan the Orkneys in either June or July.

Drove the North Coast 500 last week and added on two days on Orkney along the way. One day exploring Kirkwall with a wee visit to Highland Park distillery, followed by a day visiting the west mainland. Loads of historical sites but for me the best thing to do on Orkney is the cliff top walk at Yesnaby.

6072eff5d9179c4626a5e5c75a74619b.jpg

We only had two days but you could easily spend 5 - 7 days there.

Currently waiting for the Arran ferry. I lived there for 9 years and this is my first time back since I left the island 10 years ago. I can't believe I've waited this long and it'll be good to meet the people again after this long!

On 2017-6-1 at 15:33, Audaces Fortuna Juvat said:

Did the Shetlands last week and it was truly breathtaking in places - my only complaint is that we didn't have enough time to do all the things I/we wanted to do. I watched a game at a pitch in Lerwick called Seafield, and it is easily the most scenic backdrop I have ever had for a football match.

Dependent on Linfield's European draw I plan the Orkneys in either June or July.

A word of advice: don't call it "The Shetlands" as the locals get annoyed! Just "Shetland" is fine.

Great that you enjoyed your trip though, I grew up in Shetland and you take a lot of it for granted even if there's not much going on. What else did you get up to out of interest?

Seafield's a cracking place to play/watch football as well.

shetland_2005_21.JPG

8 hours ago, lubo_blaha said:

A word of advice: don't call it "The Shetlands" as the locals get annoyed! Just "Shetland" is fine.

Beat me to it.

what part are you from? I go up quite a lot and stay in Sandwick, got in laws and nephews there.

havent been to a game in Lerwick for donks. Last time was Shetland v Orkney and they used the Gilbertson.