Cement Fetish Man Injured in Machete Attack

ICTChris

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He was probably fairly set in his ways...

I get your 'grunter' remark. You're a real chip off the old block.

Grunter isn't a remark of SP's they were the slang name used for solid concrete blocks that were about 450x220x220 mm that were deemed acceptable to make bricklayers use up until about the early 90's when health and safety measures decided that bricklayers lives also mattered. The standard size of block is now 450x220x100 or 300x220x150 for the interior course in the foundation to which the kit shall sit upon.

There was one case in Dundee in the 80's a good 10 courses of grunters fell down in high winds and killed about 6 poor bricklayers who probably otherwise could have gotten out of the way of the falling structure but their bodies were so badly deteriorated from years of having to lay grunters in the first place.

And people yet told me construction was a good industry to get into.

Wasn't there a thread on P&B about when a Celtic fan went on an Aberdeen site to be a wido and ended up having his fetish for sniffing women's farts revealed to the world? [emoji14]

It was on AFC chat. Someone posted a link to it on here. Thread of the year contender. Poor lad had a proper meltdown.

6 minutes ago, throbber said:

Grunter isn't a remark of SP's they were the slang name used for solid concrete blocks that were about 450x220x220 mm that were deemed acceptable to make bricklayers use up until about the early 90's when health and safety measures decided that bricklayers lives also mattered. The standard size of block is now 450x220x100 or 300x220x150 for the interior course in the foundation to which the kit shall sit upon.

Education is ruining you.

Education is ruining you.

These dimensions assume a 10mm mortar joint/bed. So basically imagine lifting two standard blocks at a time to build a wall which is what those poor b*****ds had to do with grunters! They were hardy men in those days though.

1 minute ago, throbber said:

These dimensions assume a 10mm mortar joint/bed. So basically imagine lifting two standard blocks at a time to build a wall which is what those poor b*****ds had to do with grunters! They were hardy men in those days though.

Sure it was later as I was carrying grunters (9"x9"?) in the mid-late 90s. Soon got you fit carting them up and down buildings all day. 

Sure it was later as I was carrying grunters (9"x9"?) in the mid-late 90s. Soon got you fit carting them up and down buildings all day. 

Well unless the dimensions changed in the 00's I assume they were as wide as they were high so it's closer to 8inches but that's still a ridiculous weight, even standard blocks are pretty heavy and especially if you are a student and not used to lifting them it's a tough shift often for awful money. You still get some of the 6 inch blocks that are a full 440 mm but that is against the maximum health and safety weight for safe lifting which is 25 kg.

Just now, throbber said:

Well unless the dimensions changed in the 00's I assume they were as wide as they were high so it's closer to 8inches but that's still a ridiculous weight, even standard blocks are pretty heavy and especially if you are a student and not used to lifting them it's a tough shift often for awful money. You still get some of the 6 inch blocks that are a full 440 mm but that is against the maximum health and safety weight for safe lifting which is 25 kg.

I didn't mind so long as I had decent gloves to protect my delicate paws. Just for a few months each summer to earn a few quid and get fit then I'd go back to being a lazy student. 

1 hour ago, throbber said:

Do you not get 50kg sacks of cement anymore?

They're softening up an entire generation, hope nobody decides to invade.

You're right, when I was just a young lad I was sent right out to work in that bearpit of an environment and it has certainly toughened me up, you see how many work shy fairies there are out there when you have been through that sort of experience.

20 minutes ago, throbber said:

You're right, when I was just a young lad I was sent right out to work in that bearpit of an environment and it has certainly toughened me up, 

Yes throbber, we can.

Are you still scared to open the blinds?

Archived