Suggestions?

Tartan Dave

6 minutes ago, Tartan Dave said:

Yeah having a wee look around and seem to change my mind every 10 minutes. Looking at interailing the now and think budapest- prague- berlin then not sure where after, Warsaw perhaps? I don't know if that would suit 4 boys after some sun and bevvy! could always go other way and go somewhere after budapest. Zagreb maybe? 

Gdansk is good, beaches nearby too. Preferred it to Warsaw. 

11 minutes ago, Tartan Dave said:

Yeah having a wee look around and seem to change my mind every 10 minutes. Looking at interailing the now and think budapest- prague- berlin then not sure where after, Warsaw perhaps? I don't know if that would suit 4 boys after some sun and bevvy! could always go other way and go somewhere after budapest. Zagreb maybe? 

Speaking personally, I'd be inclined to go the other way.

About ten years ago (shit, make that twelve) when I was your age I got the overnight train from Budapest (excellent place) to Belgrade. From Belgrade you can pick and choose, but there are loads of options. Zagreb, Zadar,Split, Sarajevo, Mostar, Belgrade, Ljubljana, Koper, Maribor, Nova Gorica, Bled... Loads of places, they've all got something.

Berlin is tremendous, but I've never really seen what others see in Prague. Brno is not bad and there's a wee town called Cesky Krumlov that comes to life in the summer.  From Prague you're within easy reach of Wroclaw in Poland, which is a pretty cool place. If you're so inclined you could hop up the line from Wroclaw to Poznan then Bydgoszcz (I lived there so am biased, but it's a vastly under-rated night out) or Torun and onto Gdansk. If you can't have a good night out in Poland (except Warsaw) then you've no business being alive.

I lived in Poland for five years and would advise Krakow rather than Warsaw, but again, that's just me. Personally, I wouldn't thank you for a free ticket to Warsaw, but some people like it.  Krakow can be a great night out, but you need to choose wisely. A lot of tourist traps and skinheads. But if you do your homework it's excellent.

Whatever you choose, it'll probably be good. Europe in the summer is tremendous, especially east/central Europe.

Budapest, and since its summer, down to Lake Balaton?

Speaking personally, I'd be inclined to go the other way.
About ten years ago (shit, make that twelve) when I was your age I got the overnight train from Budapest (excellent place) to Belgrade. From Belgrade you can pick and choose, but there are loads of options. Zagreb, Zadar,Split, Sarajevo, Mostar, Belgrade, Ljubljana, Koper, Maribor, Nova Gorica, Bled... Loads of places, they've all got something.
Berlin is tremendous, but I've never really seen what others see in Prague. Brno is not bad and there's a wee town called Cesky Krumlov that comes to life in the summer.  From Prague you're within easy reach of Wroclaw in Poland, which is a pretty cool place. If you're so inclined you could hop up the line from Wroclaw to Poznan then Bydgoszcz (I lived there so am biased, but it's a vastly under-rated night out) or Torun and onto Gdansk. If you can't have a good night out in Poland (except Warsaw) then you've no business being alive.
I lived in Poland for five years and would advise Krakow rather than Warsaw, but again, that's just me. Personally, I wouldn't thank you for a free ticket to Warsaw, but some people like it.  Krakow can be a great night out, but you need to choose wisely. A lot of tourist traps and skinheads. But if you do your homework it's excellent.
Whatever you choose, it'll probably be good. Europe in the summer is tremendous, especially east/central Europe.

Fully agree with all this.

Poland - Krakow is fantastic. Wroclaw is decent. Pretty much any Polish city is decent, well maybe not Katowice, but you can still have a good night out.

And Bydgoszcz is good and Torun is a great spot.

Hungary - I'm biased to Budapest having lived there 6 years but it is fantastic and Lake Balaton isn't far away.

All the places mentioned above are good shouts, but would say for nights out (although I'm talking 10 years ago) Belgrade and Sarajevo are cracking nights out.

Is also agree that I don't really get the hype about Prague, it's okay.

1 minute ago, Tight minge said:

Poland - Krakow is fantastic. Wroclaw is decent. Pretty much any Polish city is decent, well maybe not Katowice, but you can still have a good night out.

And Bydgoszcz is good and Torun is a great spot.

Ha! Katowice! What is that smell there? Weird place. Still, like any reasonably sized Polish city, not bad for a night out.

Not many people make it to Big Dosh, when were you there? Torun is beautiful and definitely worth a visit if passing by.

First time in Katowice was 1991 (Motherwell's first European tie). Took a pilgrimage back maybe 2004 for a laugh. Then ended up there once a month on business about 10-12 years ago. Actually always had a good time there.

Spent plenty of time working in Poland and covered most industrial places and loved it

Oh, aye Torun is definitely worth a visit. Loved the old walls and there was a decent small peorogi restaurant there.

Katowice is the only place in Poland I've been to and I thought it was great. I mention this to any of my Polish pals and they laugh at me. I guess it's like some Polish lad telling me he went to Scotland and only visited Coatbridge.

Inter rail is the way to go on this one tho'. Makes the money back by using overnight trains instead of paying for accomodation alone.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for advice, been having a right good look around lately. Think I'm going to opt for the interrailing idea, looks cracking. From pricing up online looks like I can get a few days in Berlin, Prague, Vienna and Budapest for around 560 including flights train and hotel. Which I'd be quite happy with, looked at adding Belgrade in at end but long journey from Budapest and no direct flights to scotland as it would be last leg have me questioning whether its worth it, could maybe do it first if people thought it was definitely worth a visit? 

A bit gutted not to be visiting croatia but can always do that another time, getting a lot of this paid for as part of a 21st present and therefore seems like interail is best option! 

If you are planning specific dates then there is no point in getting an actual Interail pass for those journeys; you can get cheap tickets in advance for each leg for around 19 Euros, probably about 30 Euros buying on the day. 

3 hours ago, virginton said:

If you are planning specific dates then there is no point in getting an actual Interail pass for those journeys; you can get cheap tickets in advance for each leg for around 19 Euros, probably about 30 Euros buying on the day. 

Ah never knew this! Thank you

Archived