Suggestions?

Tartan Dave

A group of four of us, all 21 and men, are fancying a trip somewhere in the summer for 10-14 days. We don't really fancy an Ibiza, Maga etc as a couple have done before. Fancy somewhere which still has a good nightlife but some other things to do, and won't get boring over that length of time. A beach would be preferable, Barcelona is the obvious shout but me and one of the other guys have been there 2/3 times so fancy a change. Any suggestions? Quite annoying there's no website where you click what features you want your destination to have and it sorts possible outcomes from there! Would like to keep cost of flights/hotel at around 300 each, but could stretch. Cheers in advance.

1 hour ago, Tartan Dave said:

A group of four of us, all 21 and men, are fancying a trip somewhere in the summer for 10-14 days. We don't really fancy an Ibiza, Maga etc as a couple have done before. Fancy somewhere which still has a good nightlife but some other things to do, and won't get boring over that length of time. A beach would be preferable, Barcelona is the obvious shout but me and one of the other guys have been there 2/3 times so fancy a change. Any suggestions? Quite annoying there's no website where you click what features you want your destination to have and it sorts possible outcomes from there! Would like to keep cost of flights/hotel at around 300 each, but could stretch. Cheers in advance.

Wherever you go you'll get a much better deal renting an apartment than staying in hotels, especially with 4 of you. 

14 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

I Googled it and suggestions included Dubrovnik and Nice.

Yeah Dubrovnik could be a shout actually, just had a look and could jump up coast to Split and then Zagreb. Quite long journeys and seems to be a wee bit of trouble as the trip between Dubrovnik-Split goes through Bosnia but apparently not much to worry about. 

20 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Wherever you go you'll get a much better deal renting an apartment than staying in hotels, especially with 4 of you. 

Yeah a quick look and I noticed that myself. Probably better quality too

14 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Lido de Jeselo just for something different - has a good beach and plenty of nightlife and Venice is very close.

Had never even heard of Lido de Jeselo, looks cracking! 

4 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

If you're going midsummer somewhere like Hamburg might be good, beaches a short train ride away. 

Yeah would be around July, could be a shout, good transport links mean we could get another couple of cities in too

Just now, Tartan Dave said:

Yeah a quick look and I noticed that myself. Probably better quality too

Had never even heard of Lido de Jeselo, looks cracking! 

Yeah would be around July, could be a shout, good transport links mean we could get another couple of cities in too

The med's too hot for me in July and most of the prices go sky high.

Yeah Dubrovnik could be a shout actually, just had a look and could jump up coast to Split and then Zagreb. Quite long journeys and seems to be a wee bit of trouble as the trip between Dubrovnik-Split goes through Bosnia but apparently not much to worry about. 

There is no trouble going through Bosnia on the highway there, but it is a long journey up Zagreb.

5 minutes ago, The Woolshed said:

10-14 days in most cities would be excessive imo.

Depends. If you were just wandering about on your own it could be. If you're with friends and/or get to know some locals it could be just the time you need to get to know all the best places to go.

Dubrovnik is not known for nightlife: I'd spend a maximum of a day there and do at least one of the Croatian islands instead. Most of which involve the ferry from Split: in fact you could probably do a couple of islands or cities along the coast, like Zadar or Pula and not bother with Zagreb as well. It's a decent city but it's not necessarily worth heading inland for. 

The Plitvice Lakes are quite popular as well. 

9 hours ago, Tartan Dave said:

Budget is the single biggest issue.  If you're all minted then a California road trip would be terrific.  If you're all skint then go to Port Seton.

With that long you should do a wee tour. Former Yugoslavia has a lot to offer. Belgrade has good nightlife, Slovenia has great scenery and off the beaten track places like Koper (nice wee port town) or Maribor which can be a surprisingly decent night out, Zagreb is worth a few days, Split is also fun, Mostar a little bit more adventurous.

Slovenia isn't cheap, but the other places wouldn't burn much of a hole in the pocket. Good weather in summer, lakes and beaches, cities, bevvy, nice birds...

32 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

With that long you should do a wee tour. Former Yugoslavia has a lot to offer. Belgrade has good nightlife, Slovenia has great scenery and off the beaten track places like Koper (nice wee port town) or Maribor which can be a surprisingly decent night out, Zagreb is worth a few days, Split is also fun, Mostar a little bit more adventurous.

Slovenia isn't cheap, but the other places wouldn't burn much of a hole in the pocket. Good weather in summer, lakes and beaches, cities, bevvy, nice birds...

Yeah having a wee look around and seem to change my mind every 10 minutes. Looking at interailing the now and think budapest- prague- berlin then not sure where after, Warsaw perhaps? I don't know if that would suit 4 boys after some sun and bevvy! could always go other way and go somewhere after budapest. Zagreb maybe? 

Archived