Romanian Protests

ICTChris

The Romanian government have backed down and rescinded a controversial decree that would have effectively amnestied a number of officials accused of corruption.  This follows a series of huge protests in cities across the country, with a total of half a million demonstrators protesting against the decree.  The decree was instituted by the newly elected government and meant that corruption offences only resulted in prison if the sum of money involved was over £38,000.  The government still plans to push ahead with a decree to pardon a number of prisoners serving less than five years.  This move would pardon leader of the governing Social Democratic party Liviu Dragnea, who was sentenced to two years, suspended, for voter fraud.

Eastern Europe has seen a new wave of leaders in the last few years with corruption remaining a problem for many countries there, Romania has also experienced political upheaval in the last few years with several governments collapsing due to public protests and scandals.  I wonder if the current protests will see another government fall and what can be done to break the cycle of low-turnout elections, protests and resignations.

Any P&Bers ever bribed a Romanian politician?

18 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

The Romanian government have backed down and rescinded a controversial decree that would have effectively amnestied a number of officials accused of corruption.  This follows a series of huge protests in cities across the country, with a total of half a million demonstrators protesting against the decree.  The decree was instituted by the newly elected government and meant that corruption offences only resulted in prison if the sum of money involved was over £38,000.  The government still plans to push ahead with a decree to pardon a number of prisoners serving less than five years.  This move would pardon leader of the governing Social Democratic party Liviu Dragnea, who was sentenced to two years, suspended, for voter fraud.

Eastern Europe has seen a new wave of leaders in the last few years with corruption remaining a problem for many countries there, Romania has also experienced political upheaval in the last few years with several governments collapsing due to public protests and scandals.  I wonder if the current protests will see another government fall and what can be done to break the cycle of low-turnout elections, protests and resignations.

Any P&Bers ever bribed a Romanian politician?

As usual the story is a bit more shaded than it would appear, a lot of the offences are commonplace over here, like getting friends or relatives jobs, and some of the charges seem to be politically motivated. And the country is split between wealthy educated urbanites who are protesting, and the plebs, bit like the Trumpets or Brexiteers.

http://www.euronews.com/2017/02/05/view-romania-s-anticorruption-implosion

I have several Romanian friends, and they certainly do like a protest, more recently the Roșia_Montană protest... I'm not quite sure whether they have more corruption (e.g. jobs and contracts for the boys), but they're certainly more vociferous. Of course, during the Ceaușescu regime, nobody was allowed to protest about anything, so maybe they're making up for lost time. 

Just now, Cardinal Richelieu said:

I have several Romanian friends, and they certainly do like a protest, more recently the Roșia_Montană protest... I'm not quite sure whether they have more corruption (e.g. jobs and contracts for the boys), but they're certainly more vociferous. Of course, during the Ceaușescu regime, nobody was allowed to protest about anything, so maybe they're making up for lost time. 

They did execute Ceaucescu live on television on Christmas Day, I think that made up for a bit of the lost time.

That's true. Mind you, Romanian TV was never up to much. They used to just show Hollywood films on the telly but re-dubbed into Romanian. Unfortunately, budgets were tight, so the same woman was used for all speaking parts, even action films. 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/dec/25/hollywood-film-communist-romania-video-dub-irina-margareta-nistor

Archived