Montrose v Arbroath

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Definitely expecting a bumper crowd as you always seem to bring more fans to derby games than we do. We're on a great run right now which will boost our numbers.
On the topic of form, we've taken 17 points from our last 8, whereas Stirling have taken 8 points, Cowdenbeath and Berwick 6, Clyde 2. Our upsurge in form has mirrored their falls. Saturday's game is the first of three pretty tough matches, so our progress may falter a bit.
All that said, hoping for a tasty match!

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Sort of land in the middle, draw wouldn't be great but they're improved so... think Elgin will beat Forfar so it might get it back to 8 if we can do the business

:lol:...still clinging on i see...pmsl

54 minutes ago, mo83 said:

Can see this being a very good game Saturday. Hopefully we can play like we have been and take all 3 points

Will be interesting to see who SP plays up top,any combination from Fraser,Temps,Smith or Hay

Big Temps was excellent up front on Saturday, mostly as a lone striker. When he finally got some support in the second half he pushed further up the field and on several occasions danced past numerous Stirling defenders. I think Fraser has to start alongside Big Temps to start with and when the Smokies defence starts to tire in the second half, bring on the pace of Smith or Hay.

More concerning would be who he goes with in central defence and central midfield-we looked pretty vulnerable there the other day. Tezza and McWalter are too similar in style IMO although they both played okay against Stirling, we need someone who can link with the forwards better. Is Watson out injured just now? Could do with him back.  

Montrose to win 37-0 to keep up our title charge.

12 hours ago, Lichtie78 said:

IMO as long as we have a mathematical chance of winning the league, every game is a must win. We've spent the whole season complaining we've drawn too many games but now because Forfar are 11 clear it's okay to draw games?

This absolutely nails it.

If we're happy with a draw in games like this, then we're happy to trundle along to the end of the season and finish 2nd/ 3rd.

While we still have any sort of chance of winning the league, we have to be aiming to win every single game, regardless of opposition, home or away etc. While on paper a draw is a good result with the Mo improving vastly and us stuttering a wee bit, this is February not August and with the table the way it is anything less than 3 points in our next few games could easily be argued as a terrible result, as it basically puts us out of the running to win the league.

With Forfar 11 points ahead of us, and 13 games remaining remaining even if Forfar have a dodgy spell and only win 6 out of those 13 (which in itself would be very surprising) we would still have to win 10 out of 13 remaining roughly. If we're clinging on to any asperation whatsoever of winning the league, we have to be looking to win in every game we have left, and we can't ever settle for a point and be happy with it.

Good selection headache for sp that's for sure. I'd start with big Templeman and fraser on Saturday. Anyone know if Paul Watson is fit? Like someone mentioned masson and mcwalter are too similar would rather one of them in and a creative player beside them

This absolutely nails it.
If we're happy with a draw in games like this, then we're happy to trundle along to the end of the season and finish 2nd/ 3rd.
While we still have any sort of chance of winning the league, we have to be aiming to win every single game, regardless of opposition, home or away etc. While on paper a draw is a good result with the Mo improving vastly and us stuttering a wee bit, this is February not August and with the table the way it is anything less than 3 points in our next few games could easily be argued as a terrible result, as it basically puts us out of the running to win the league.
With Forfar 11 points ahead of us, and 13 games remaining remaining even if Forfar have a dodgy spell and only win 6 out of those 13 (which in itself would be very surprising) we would still have to win 10 out of 13 remaining roughly. If we're clinging on to any asperation whatsoever of winning the league, we have to be looking to win in every game we have left, and we can't ever settle for a point and be happy with it.

Who said we shouldn't be looking to win every game we play? The last time we played at Links we drew and were lucky to take a point. It is absolutely absurb to expect your team to go through the season winning every game even if that is the objective.

1 minute ago, keptie said:

Who said we shouldn't be looking to win every game we play? The last time we played at Links we drew and were lucky to take a point. It is absolutely absurb to expect your team to go through the season winning every game even if that is the objective.

I don't expect us to win every single game between now and the end of the season, as you point out that would be utterly absurd.

I expect us to go into every game with the objective of winning it, as if we don't have this mentality we have no chance of winning the division, whereas currently we do have a chance. If we are happy with drawing games at this stage of the season we will not win the league, it's as simple as that. Surely our objective has to continue to be winning the division, as it has been for the past 6 months? The players and manager certainly seem to continue to see this as the objective, quite rightly in my opinion, judging by their post match comments from Saturday.

There is a huge difference between me saying 'we have to be looking to win every game we have left' and actually believing we have a chance of doing so. What I mean is we can't be coming away from games happy with a point, or ever setting out/ settling for a point towards the end of a game. If we do that we're accepting we have no chance of winning the division.

A point on Saturday wouldn't be a "terrible result" 

That is an unbelievably arrogant way to look at this game and totally disrespectful to Montrose, we'd be sounding like Clyde fans ffs 

hopefully a decent away support and we can give the team a good backing from start to finish. 

1 hour ago, Smokerson said:

A point on Saturday wouldn't be a "terrible result" 

That is an unbelievably arrogant way to look at this game and totally disrespectful to Montrose, we'd be sounding like Clyde fans ffs 

hopefully a decent away support and we can give the team a good backing from start to finish. 

Saturday will be a very difficult game with Montrose on the up and getting some terrific results recently, but arrogance has absolutely nothing to do with the comments people are making about a draw being a bad result.

We are 11 points behind Forfar. Therefore, if we continue to drop points, we will have no chance of winning the league. If we got a draw on Saturday and Forfar won and we were 13 points behind them, 2 more than we are currently, how could this be viewed as anything other than being a bad thing?

If we were 11 points ahead of Forfar, a draw on Saturday would be a perfectly fine result in a hard game. It's all about how the table looks currently, we're coming into the final third of the season and we're playing catch up here, we're not protecting a large lead like Forfar are.

The comments regarding a draw being a bad result are, in my opinion, nothing to do with the opposition. I want us to win the league. To win the league we can't afford to drop points and be happy with doing so, if we have that attitude we will finish 2nd at best absolutely no doubt about it.

Although our chances are slim, it seems a lot of posters have given up on winning the league and are happy for us to saunter into the play off positions now? The way I'm taking this, anyone saying anything other than a win is a poor result are actually being positive; They believe this team can still win the league from the position we are in and that being the case know we need to win games of football to do this.

Just to add that if I were an Arbroath fan, a draw would be a terrible result. Just not being an Arbroath fan however, already makes me feel a lot better: win, lose or draw. That said, with three particularly tough games ahead, I would be happy with just the nine points, mildly discontented with seven, non-plussed with six, a bit ticked-off with five, gripey with four,  totally scunnered with three, apoplectic with two, ragin' with one and with zero, don't even go there. Now please Arbroath fans please put your handbags down and focus your attention on preparing for a game that will fail to live up to everyone's expectations: scrappy nil-nil draw. Or maybe, just maybe a crackin' match.

11 hours ago, Brummo said:

Just to add that if I were an Arbroath fan, a draw would be a terrible result. Just not being an Arbroath fan however, already makes me feel a lot better: win, lose or draw. That said, with three particularly tough games ahead, I would be happy with just the nine points, mildly discontented with seven, non-plussed with six, a bit ticked-off with five, gripey with four,  totally scunnered with three, apoplectic with two, ragin' with one and with zero, don't even go there. Now please Arbroath fans please put your handbags down and focus your attention on preparing for a game that will fail to live up to everyone's expectations: scrappy nil-nil draw. Or maybe, just maybe a crackin' match.

Its manbags if you don't mind Brummo,we are all actually in this together just a wee family tiff.

C'MON THE LICHTIES

FUCK THE MO.:)

Archived