Girth

Heading over there end of April for a French two day punk gig - can't find many places to stay within Rennes - where is good to stay nearby?

My French is pretty appalling - will put some effort in before I get over there. How is the language barrier?

On 06/02/2017 at 16:48, Girth said:

Heading over there end of April for a French two day punk gig - can't find many places to stay within Rennes - where is good to stay nearby?

My French is pretty appalling - will put some effort in before I get over there. How is the language barrier?

I went to France for the first time in ages last year and was surprised how many more people spoke English and were happy doing it. Still helps if you can manage a few words though.

I went to France for the first time in ages last year and was surprised how many more people spoke English and were happy doing it. Still helps if you can manage a few words though.

Been a very long time since I have been in France (maybe 10 years+). My experience of France was typical, Paris and always found them generally ignorant particularly when it came to language. Even my piss poor attempts at French didn't go down well. Interacting was just a pain.

Then visited Nancy with the full expectation of similar experiences, but the experience was a stark contrast. Friendly, open, happy to laugh at my school boy efforts of French and genuinely engaging people.

Not sure if it is a 'Paris' thing or what, but a pleasant surprise.

Archived