Top Ten Spectator Sports

jmothecat

With the Super Bowl last night seeming to be more popular than ever, where would you rank the most popular sports to watch? There are various lists online but the top ten sports seem to mainly include the following:

Football

Cricket

Basketball

American football

Tennis

Athletics

Formula 1

Rugby

Baseball

Volleyball

Where would you rank them in order of how much you enjoy watching them?

Going by this link (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_attendance_figures_at_domestic_professional_sports_leagues#Complete_table) the top ten sports by average domestic attendance are:

American football
Association football
Aussie Rules football
Cricket
Baseball
Canadian football
Rugby union
Rugby league
Speedway
Field lacrossse

28 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Going by this link (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_attendance_figures_at_domestic_professional_sports_leagues#Complete_table) the top ten sports by average domestic attendance are:

American football
Association football
Aussie Rules football
Cricket
Baseball
Canadian football
Rugby union
Rugby league
Speedway
Field lacrosse

It's difficult to compare because different sports are watched in different formats. Most of the sports in this list are staged on Team A vs Team B format. Motor sports attract enormous live crowds, I think over 100,000 is common in F1. I've heard crowd figures in excess of 10 million for the Tour de France over it's duration.

Volleyball gets bigger crowds than ice hockey?? Or even Handball?

Football

Ice Hockey

American/Canadian Football

Baseball

Box Lacrosse

Rugby League

Cricket

Athletics

Basketball is usually only worth watching in the last two minutes, which takes ten minutes to play

The rest, Rugby Union, F1 etc I would watch if I had trouble sleeping

Football obviously. Rugby union, rugby league and rugby 7s at international level, and occasionally pro-team / club level. I went to the Scottish Saltires a few times when they were in the English domestic one-day cricket. Been to ice hockey a few times. Once attended domestic gridiron at Meadowbank :lol:.

I'll watch tennis, golf and athletics on TV; pretty much anything at Olympics etc... couldn't last wrestling though, snorefest... and stuff like snooker, darts and indoor bowls if it happens to be on.

American football

Baseball

-GAP-

British football

Hockey

-GAP-

Basketball

Will watch pretty much anything else if it's a big event. Tennis/Golf majors. Olympics. Daytona / Indy 500.

One sport I don't get is boxing. Once every three or four years I get caught up in the hype of some fight and go find a place to watch. About 30 seconds in I wonder why I'm watching this. Having said that, I do need to go to Vegas on a big fight weekend at some point in my life.

One sport I don't watch that I feel I could like under the proper circumstances is rugby.

Football

Horse racing

Boxing

Darts

American Football

Basketball

UFC

Tennis

Same as Deplorable will watch golf when the majors are on and watch the Olympics.

Have found myself watching speedway on occasion and quite fancy going to it one night.

Football, rugby (league and union but not so much 7s), cricket, American Football, cycling (road and velodrome), skiing and tennis are what I'd watch if possible. Other sports I'll watch if there's not much else on apart from ice hockey (don't get it - I can never see what's happening, and even the play-by-play guys struggle to keep up), Formula One (dull as ditchwater most of the time) and lacrosse (tried to watch it once and found it worse than tedious). 

Archived