Lions Watch 2017

John Lambies Doos

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On reflection.. do we really have good players? I mean the Welsh players have proved in the past that they can bring serious intensity; albeit perhaps not against NZ.
Maybe it's just a kick Scotland needs....

We have excellent players imo the best we have had for 25 years. We don't always pick the right ones and we have a terrible habit (due to coaches) of holding the ball too long at the Base of rucks and kicking the ball away aimlessly. Those two issues aren't enough to excuse that ludicrous lions selection.

On reflection.. do we really have good players? I mean the Welsh players have proved in the past that they can bring serious intensity; albeit perhaps not against NZ.
Maybe it's just a kick Scotland needs....

I think this is a fair question. Did Cotter have a poor squad punching above its weight? I must admit that it's a huge concern of mine, as I don't think Townsend can install the confidence to do that.

That worry aside, the Lions tour is farcical. Hamish Watson (my phone changed his name to Hawkish and then Hampshire Watson) is easily better technically to several players in the squad. Nel as well. Launchbury too...

It's basically the old Rangers tactic of "give the ball to Laudrup". The Lions will thump down the middle before giving the ball to Hogg. Cotter's Scotland didn't do that.

I think this is a fair question. Did Cotter have a poor squad punching above its weight? I must admit that it's a huge concern of mine, as I don't think Townsend can install the confidence to do that.

That worry aside, the Lions tour is farcical. Hamish Watson (my phone changed his name to Hawkish and then Hampshire Watson) is easily better technically to several players in the squad. Nel as well. Launchbury too...

It's basically the old Rangers tactic of "give the ball to Laudrup". The Lions will thump down the middle before giving the ball to Hogg. Cotter's Scotland didn't do that.

I'd argue the opposite. I don't think that the squad got anywhere near it's full potential under Cotter. When the likes of Barnes on Sky sports are singing the praises of guys like gray strauss jones hogg Russell Watson price horne Maitland bennett etc etc then you can assured we have excellent players. The last few years Glasgow have made play offs n won Pro12 n reached European Cup qtrs from a horrible group and embra have had European finals n semi finals, nor to mention guys making an impact in England and France. We forget very easily just how bad we were and how mediocre our players were a few years ago. We only played 40 odd minutes near our potential against both Ireland n Wales and that was enough to beat both of them. Imagine if a coach could get 80 out of them? First half v Ireland n 2nd half v Wales we blew them away primarily because we defended superbly n didn't kick the ball away. If the fault lay with the players then we wouldn't be able to do that. Failing to get that for 80 mins suggests coaching or tactical issues. I'm very confident about the impact toony will have.

Glasgow Pro 12 champions, great achievement considering both Munster and Leinster have won Champions cup in past 10 years

Glasgow this year gone furthest ever in europe embarrassing another former European champ Leicester.

For Scotland we had a great world cup and should have beaten Australia but for dodgy ref of the year.

Beat Argentina and took Australia close again in the autumn tests. Then had best six nations for years.

We're scoring tries every game. We finished nearly every real chance of a try.  

Apart from England game we've not had a spanking from any team in past couple years and that includes South africa and Australia.

We're no longer also rans looking at wooden spoon automatically but we're competitive. 

4 hours ago, PrestersKTID said:

Glasgow Pro 12 champions, great achievement considering both Munster and Leinster have won Champions cup in past 10 years

Glasgow this year gone furthest ever in europe embarrassing another former European champ Leicester.

For Scotland we had a great world cup and should have beaten Australia but for dodgy ref of the year.

Beat Argentina and took Australia close again in the autumn tests. Then had best six nations for years.

We're scoring tries every game. We finished nearly every real chance of a try.  

Apart from England game we've not had a spanking from any team in past couple years and that includes South africa and Australia.

We're no longer also rans looking at wooden spoon automatically but we're competitive. 

And yet there are the same number of Leicester players as Scotland/Glasgow.

A bit surprised with only two Scots in the squad. I expected Jonny Gray to make it and possibly one other, but given Launchbury also couldn't make it and some of the other quality England players in particular who missed out, it's a reflection of the quality across the home nations at the moment. Despite the improvement of the team under Cotter and results in the six nations, I think there's no doubt we are comfortably the weakest nation.

Still raging, dont think im going to bother watching the lions now, although might jsts for the lol's as NZ hammer them.

Nearly all the Welsh first 15 are going yet only 2 scots is a joke, we had 3 on the last tour and we were dreadfll then. And Warbutton as capt makes him a stick on to start in the tests at open side,meaning the backrow are going to be really slow. NZ are going to destroy the lions, it will be comical. If I was Hogg and Seymor I wold feign an injury during Glasgows game against Edinbugh and not go, then make a miracolous recovery in time for the Aus game.

A bit surprised with only two Scots in the squad. I expected Jonny Gray to make it and possibly one other, but given Launchbury also couldn't make it and some of the other quality England players in particular who missed out, it's a reflection of the quality across the home nations at the moment. Despite the improvement of the team under Cotter and results in the six nations, I think there's no doubt we are comfortably the weakest nation.

We are comfortably better than Wales both collectively and individually. To suggest otherwise is plain crazy. The home nations are nowhere near the level of the sh at the moment especially nz.

So the Glasgow players got binned because they got gubbed by Saracens, but the Leicester players are still there even though they got an even bigger horsing at home from Glasgow. I would have a wee bit of respect for Gatland if he would at least be honest and say he would rather pick guys he has worked with before instead of coming up with bullshit excuses.

• 2 weeks later...

Ben Youngs had withdrawn from the squad on account of his brother Tom's wife being told her cancer is now terminal. Laidlaw must be likely to get his spot on the tour but who'd want under those circumstances.

FTFY.

Get your money on NZ breaking their points record.

And I'll pish myself laughing when it happens.

Would be surprised if the record doesn't go tbh. Even the right coach n selection would leave nz as red hot favourites, but the second gatland was confirmed it was time to thumb through the record books.
Good to see laidlaw going as it opens up other options at 9 in our tour though its a desperately sad way to get on the plane.

Would be surprised if the record doesn't go tbh. Even the right coach n selection would leave nz as red hot favourites, but the second gatland was confirmed it was time to thumb through the record books.
Good to see laidlaw going as it opens up other options at 9 in our tour though its a desperately sad way to get on the plane.

Yeah. I doubt he'll be doing much of a media tour on his call up.

• 4 weeks later...

Thought I would bump this up to save the normal rugby thread getting clogged with Lions chat.

First match is on Saturday, it's a very heavy schedule on this tour and I'll be surprised if at least half a dozen or so players aren't on the way home due to injury before we even get to the first test. Can't see anything other than a whitewash for the All Blacks and would think that the Lions will lose a couple of the tour matches too. Hope the Scots play well and come through unhurt.

Archived