Lions Watch 2017

John Lambies Doos

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought Zebo was poor in the Six Nations. He’s usually good for a couple of first tryscorer bets but only cost me money this year (still bitter).

Unfortunately, I can’t see Seymour making the Lions squad unless there’s a few injuries closer to the time. He didn’t have a bad Six Nations at all but didn’t quite stand out either. Part of that was because even in some of the games we won we didn’t have that much possession in the opposition half. He scored two tries but they’ll write off the one against Italy if they’re looking for reasons not to take him.

There is who is worth a shot and who Gatland will pick. I've think Hogg is the only one starting in test XV.
Think Johnny Gray will get test minutes as will Hamish Watson.

Doubt gatland would even consider watson for squad. He likes big lumbering forwards. James davies is an excellent flanker but cant get near the Welsh side.

• 2 weeks later...
Bump. Less than 2 days.
My final on the plane is hogg, Seymour(or maitland ), j gray, laidlaw, f Russell, wp nell (subject to fitness) and Watson.

I don't think we've had as many Lions as that since the 80s! Those guys are all more than deserving of the call, but I can see us getting snubbed and only having two or three(Hogg the only certainty).

I think we'll get 4/5. It should be more like 7 or 8 really.

Just seen Launchbury and Joseph are out. Should make Jonny a certainty despite plenty competition.

Edit; scratch that last bit. Just read the headline before on the BBC. Article says they're not expected to go rather than injured.

Hogg, Maitland and one of the Grays will be in the squad imo, Laidlaw a maybe as he can cover 9 & 10, but he'll be nowhere near the Test team.

Just had a look at 2013 and had completely forgot that Ryan Grant got called up after injuries.

Hogg, Maitland and one of the Grays will be in the squad imo, Laidlaw a maybe as he can cover 9 & 10, but he'll be nowhere near the Test team.

Just had a look at 2013 and had completely forgot that Ryan Grant got called up after injuries.

Was a farce tbh. Hed battered the nz n sa props and was in great form arguably best lh in northern hemisphere n none of the lions coaches including scrum coach rowntree bothered watching him live. Absolute dung English props were picked incl matt Stevens n vuinipola which very nearly cost the test series. Grant has never recovered his form since then. Euan Murray was treated as disdainfully in prev tour. This time out reckon hogg will be in test squad (quite possibly on bench though gatland will be under pressure to pick him from all sections of media). Johnny will be in squad i think maybe on bench for tests but more likely wed team. Laidlaw might go in the wed team. Tbh i dont think gatland will take anymore. Nel is injured n gatland was fuming about toony snubbing the chance to carry the cones so much as there are plenty of other guys deserving i doubt they will get a sniff.

Just saw the bbc article. Fairly surprised that Joseph would miss out n gray isn't mentioned as a contender......i like Alan wynn Jones as a player n skipper but there is no way that he is a better 2nd row than either launchberry or gray.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Seymour in there.

I'd personally have him right in the mix for the test xv.....but as has been a constant theme throughout the lions debate gatland is the issue rather than whether players are deserving or not of selection. His hissy fit after toony dingyed a coaching role (and his face during the Scotland Wales game) suggest that only hogg is certain of a place on the plane with maybe a couple of other token squad players.

Hogg will be in the squad and I think Jonny Gray and Maitland will make it. I think Finn has an outside chance but, I just can't see Seymour or Hamish Watson making it. I struggle to see anyone else getting in, other than possibly (and wrongly) Richie Gray.

If we manage any more than Hogg in the test side then I might actually support the Lions for a change, instead of the opposition.

The Daily Mail Rugby experts have picked their squads.
Scotland get 3 players at most in one squad. Clive Woodward only has Hogg in his squad but names 4 of our players as token reserves outside of his main squad.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-4421038/Sportsmail-s-rugby-experts-pick-Lions-squads.html

The Daily Mail Rugby experts have picked their squads.
Scotland get 3 players at most in one squad. Clive Woodward only has Hogg in his squad but names 4 of our players as token reserves outside of his main squad.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-4421038/Sportsmail-s-rugby-experts-pick-Lions-squads.html

Woodward conveniently forgets what an utter shambles his Lions tour was....

29 minutes ago, dogmc said:

Woodward conveniently forgets what an utter shambles his Lions tour was....

That's almost certainly because he didn't have time to do a 'dossier' on every player.

I was a guest at a fairly prestigious corporate 'do' in 1994 where Sir Clive was the keynote speaker, after England's WC win, and he droned on for over an hour reading out the details of each team member's training schedule and diet.  Not one single remark about rugby as a sport.

I acknowledge his achievement but deprecate his attitude.

Archived