Lions Watch 2017

John Lambies Doos

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am sure both the ref and the TMO decided it was a penalty to the All Blacks and then he changed his mind. The rules on the use of the TMO have not changed all they can look at is foul play and try scoring.

I am sure both the ref and the TMO decided it was a penalty to the All Blacks and then he changed his mind. The rules on the use of the TMO have not changed all they can look at is foul play and try scoring.

That's what they decided. He then changed his mind. What a farce
ABs are beatable. Hopefully Scotland can surprise them in November

58 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

It was. It all made for a terrifically well played, well officiated and well attended tour.  The Lions defence was magnificent against comfortably the best side in the world. Everyone expected the Lions to struggle; a draw is a very honourable result, especially given how lop-sided the first test was.  Doesn't necessarily make Gatland the right choice, and it sucks for the Scottish representation, but he has more than justified his selections.  Four years from now, let's just hope there is at least one Scottish player deemed suitable to start.  Russell should be right in the prime of his career.  

Edit: Jamie George is my player of the tour.  I'm sure he's thrilled with that news.

I'd agree it was a great tour from an organisational/attendance point of view, and it was definitely well contested.

I'd argue the point that Gatland comes out "smelling of roses". His stock has dropped significantly, as has Howley's. You could argue it is at the highest it's been all your though!

Agree on Jamie George. A very good tour despite the two wayward throws today. Davies showed himself to be a big game player with his performances in the Tests, especially today.

My player of the tour would be Itoje, and congratulations to Tommy Seymour on being the top try scorer on a Lions tour to NZ.

congratulations to Tommy Seymour on being the top try scorer on a Lions tour to NZ.

With less playing time than the rest of the backs in the squad.

I'd agree it was a great tour from an organisational/attendance point of view, and it was definitely well contested.
I'd argue the point that Gatland comes out "smelling of roses". His stock has dropped significantly, as has Howley's. You could argue it is at the highest it's been all your though!
Agree on Jamie George. A very good tour despite the two wayward throws today. Davies showed himself to be a big game player with his performances in the Tests, especially today.
My player of the tour would be Itoje, and congratulations to Tommy Seymour on being the top try scorer on a Lions tour to NZ.

Yep itoje for me. Fantastic player.

Well that was a waste of time. In the professional era you need winners and losers. Think it should have gone to extra time.

In the end a bit of a phyrric vindication of Garlands philosophy. Kept it tight and didn't lose the tour.

However I think his reputation is diminished. If he ever had notions of becoming AB coach I think he has shown himself up with some of his comments and attitude on tour

I also think people will ask if the Lions aren't to play expansive exhibition rugby then what are they for. Nobody wants to see them become the barbarians but equally no one is invested enough in them to enjoy them grinding out games.

Of the test players I think the stock of Daly, Watson and Farrel has risen. Liam Williams did enough that he will be talked up by the press for the next few years but I think his contribution is variable.

decent series overall gatland will of course be celebrated but as has been said on here he has got away with it a little. a few players were fantastic for the lions. I would put itoje and j davis as players of the tests and perhaps the series. This tour has shown i have a growing dislike for gatland and hope he sucks upon returning to the welsh job.

Guest Bob Mahelp

AB's were the best team in all 3 tests, and it was a red card and the wayward boot of Barrett that cost them a 3-0 blackwash.

Sadly, the utter c0ck that is Gatland will claim credit. 

Good to see Warren Gatland proving the xenophobic chuckle brothers and their ilk so wrong.

Tremendous achievment to get a series draw in New Zealand. Up there with the McGeechan led win in SA as the greatest Lions' tour in the professional era.

Arise Sir Warren!

Good to see Warren Gatland proving the xenophobic chuckle brothers and their ilk so wrong.

Tremendous achievment to get a series draw in New Zealand. Up there with the McGeechan led win in SA as the greatest Lions' tour in the professional era.

Arise Sir Warren!

^^^^^^^^^^^
Trying too hard

Having just re-watched the penalty / no penalty incident again, I dont know what the ref and TMO are up to. The ball actually travels backwards, and its pretty clear it goes backwards, just not at the same pace as Williams does.

Also, I would be more annoyed that the ref blew up that quickly as the NZ player who picks up the ball is through on the try line with just Farrell to beat!

For all the trumpetting about what a great Lions tour in the media, the fact that Seymour is the top try scorer, pipping Penalty Try to title says it all for the style of play. You could argue Gatland got his tactics right, but the draw was more down to poor kicking by Barrett, although the defence was pretty impressive at times for the Lions. Again though it was pretty much a wasted opportunity as they has the players on tour to really have a go at the All Blacks but players were never going to get a chance.

SSN now discussing Saturday's match, turns out that when Wynn Jones went off for his HIA he returned to the pitch 16 minutes later to replace Warburton who also went off for an HIA. World Rugby rules are clear that any player who goes off for an HIA must be ready to return within 10 minutes or they are not allowed to take any further part in the game.

27 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

SSN now discussing Saturday's match, turns out that when Wynn Jones went off for his HIA he returned to the pitch 16 minutes later to replace Warburton who also went off for an HIA. World Rugby rules are clear that any player who goes off for an HIA must be ready to return within 10 minutes or they are not allowed to take any further part in the game.

If you want to get really technical, he may well have been ready within 10 mins but not put back on. He is then allowed to replace another injured/HIA player, because it is a substitution rather than an injury.

If you want to get really technical, he may well have been ready within 10 mins but not put back on. He is then allowed to replace another injured/HIA player, because it is a substitution rather than an injury.

As you say, the wording is something like "the player must be presented to a match official as being ready to return to the field within 10 minutes", the way they were reporting it they were pretty much saying he wasn't.

Just now, peasy23 said:

As you say, the wording is something like "the player must be presented to a match official as being ready to return to the field within 10 minutes", the way they were reporting it they were pretty much saying he wasn't.

There was a game last year in the Pro12 or Aviva where a player passed the HIA, but had to be stitched. They had to bring him back out of the dressing room to show him to the 4th official while he was still covered in blood, before taking him back in to stitch him.

Given that they are now looking to have independent doctors for the HIA at international level, I wonder if they will end up just designating them as a match official to cover this.

Archived