Lions Watch 2017

John Lambies Doos

Not keen on Scottish guys joining up tbh. Seymour n hogg have already been scaoegoated by English n Welsh fans on the two defeats. Anyone coming in now is going to struggle to get up to speed with the offensive n defensive systems. It reeks of panic that they are looking to bring in so many players. They knew the schedule beforehand and haven't had huge numbers of injuries. This is warming up to be a shambles of a tour n being involved in that won't help any of our players development. Much rather our guys stay with toony then get a good rest before hitting pro12 pre season. If gatland thought so little of our players before the tour then he should stick with English n Welsh players. Taking Scottish players because they are nearby is hardly a glory filled call up.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not keen on Scottish guys joining up tbh. Seymour n hogg have already been scaoegoated by English n Welsh fans on the two defeats. Anyone coming in now is going to struggle to get up to speed with the offensive n defensive systems. It reeks of panic that they are looking to bring in so many players. They knew the schedule beforehand and haven't had huge numbers of injuries. This is warming up to be a shambles of a tour n being involved in that won't help any of our players development. Much rather our guys stay with toony then get a good rest before hitting pro12 pre season. If gatland thought so little of our players before the tour then he should stick with English n Welsh players. Taking Scottish players because they are nearby is hardly a glory filled call up.

This. The Scottish players should politely decline

Just been watching the highlanders game. The nz players are miles ahead in terms of basic handling skills and speed of thought. Wondering how much time is being spent on media/commercial commitments and how much on training. Still too many lions who don't seem sure about offensive and defensive lines and with ball in hand they're pretty turgid. Seem to be lacking a bit in physicality too. Warburton was totally anonymous and cj stander consistently had his arse handed to him.

Thought the Maori game was usually described as the "unofficial fourth test" due to the quality of their players so to think the Lions 'should' or 'must' be winning seems a bit odd. 

On call-ups, Wales are already in New Zealand I think so there could be a few more of their boys getting a call. A few non-Scots saying Russell and Grey should be joining up though so who knows.

I completely understand the players wanting the 'honour' of being called up and playing for the Lions. But this tour is a complete train wreck. So I'm hoping selfishly that either they don't call up any more Scottish players or they decline which is unlikely. I'd rather see them continue to gel together in Toony's new regime and system, especially Finn who seems to be the centre piece in the way Toony wants us to play.

I completely understand the players wanting the 'honour' of being called up and playing for the Lions. But this tour is a complete train wreck. So I'm hoping selfishly that either they don't call up any more Scottish players or they decline which is unlikely. I'd rather see them continue to gel together in Toony's new regime and system, especially Finn who seems to be the centre piece in the way Toony wants us to play.

Declining would be hilarious

Hundred per cent agree. Not sure how someone like Russell would even fit into system gatland wants to play. Very difficult to slot into a tour that's already halfway through - even it's a well organised one....and this one isn't. Eta reading the BBC article very much sounds like the new players are going to be in the wed team rather than the test side....even more reason to hope that it's Welsh guys rather than our lads.

I think the sheer quality of the teams the Lions are facing this time around is skewing some views of the tour.  That's not to say its not been a bit lop-sided in some respects.  But Kiwi rugby union players are just a lever or two higher than anything these guys will have ever faced in either the 6N, the Premiership or the Pro12.  It's going to be a very sore whitewash for Gatland and his boys.

I think the sheer quality of the teams the Lions are facing this time around is skewing some views of the tour.  That's not to say its not been a bit lop-sided in some respects.  But Kiwi rugby union players are just a lever or two higher than anything these guys will have ever faced in either the 6N, the Premiership or the Pro12.  It's going to be a very sore whitewash for Gatland and his boys.

Even more reason to actually pick the best players in the 4 unions n have an ambitious game plan. Nz would be red hot favourites no matter what but gatland has made an arse of things.

Not keen on Scottish guys joining up tbh. Seymour n hogg have already been scaoegoated by English n Welsh fans on the two defeats. Anyone coming in now is going to struggle to get up to speed with the offensive n defensive systems. It reeks of panic that they are looking to bring in so many players. They knew the schedule beforehand and haven't had huge numbers of injuries. This is warming up to be a shambles of a tour n being involved in that won't help any of our players development. Much rather our guys stay withe toony then get a good rest before hitting pro12 pre season. If gatland thought so little of our players before the tour then he should stick with English n Welsh players. Taking Scottish players because they are nearby is hardly a glory filled call up.

Although I completely agree and think the players should give garland a one finger salute we all know nobody is going to turn down the call so better to make the best out a p1ss p00r situation.

But given Wales are in NZ already we all know where the players are coming from

How many off the Scottish players do you the no will pick up knocks in the Aus game

Kristian Dacey, Gareth Davies, Tomas Francis and Cory Hill have all been called up to the Lions team 

[emoji38] gatland is at it. Eddie Jones sent out a wee telt about picking boys on geography rather than quality.

Obviously knew what was happening

Rumour is Dell and Fin will be called up after the Australia game with any England players after they play Argentina

2 hours ago, ajwffc said:

Kristian Dacey, Gareth Davies, Tomas Francis and Cory Hill have all been called up to the Lions team 

It's absolutely appalling. He's been chewed out over social media by everyone, including the Welsh fans.

I honestly thought those call ups were a photo shop piss take when I first seen them this morning.

This tour is reaching(if not there already) Sir Clive levels of ridiculousness and quickly becoming a complete farce.

Archived