Lions Watch 2017

John Lambies Doos

Wouldn't be so sure. The lions was pretty much done in 89 it was going to be the last tour and it was only because the lions pumped the aussies that it carried on. After the ill feeling of previous tours to nz when selection was based on nepotism not form and the lions were humped by nz there was little enthusiasm for the idea anymore. If it's commercially viable and brings in money to the home unions it will maybe carry on (and yeah it would need to have a major restructure)but with clubs wielding more power and a clogged fixture list I don't think it's set in stone at all. There's already been a huge amount of negativity around this tour and we aren't even at the big games yet. It's not just Scottish fans that are unhappy, gatland seems to have divided everyone.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If they are looking to change things I think it would be a good idea to make every second series a home one for the Lions.

Similar to how it is rotated in the Southern Hemisphere, say Scotland get a full series of tests, then it rolls on to England, Ireland and Wales for the next home series. 

The midweek side of Australia, South Africa and New Zealand could play at different venues in four home nations to ensure everyone gets a chance to see the visitors, even if they are not hosting a test. 

Not exactly revolutionary but I think it would capture the public imagination.

If they are looking to change things I think it would be a good idea to make every second series a home one for the Lions.
Similar to how it is rotated in the Southern Hemisphere, say Scotland get a full series of tests, then it rolls on to England, Ireland and Wales for the next home series. 
The midweek side of Australia, South Africa and New Zealand could play at different venues in four home nations to ensure everyone gets a chance to see the visitors, even if they are not hosting a test. 
Not exactly revolutionary but I think it would capture the public imagination.

Home series is a great shout. Like all of that tbh. Maybe a warm up game v barbarians though only if they promise not to let cotter coach them....the England barbarians game was a honking watch not helped by dreadful pro12 officials it must be said.

As much as I struggle to really care about the Lions the number of people wearing Lions shirts shows there must be a decent fan base for it. I noticed a fair amount in Edinburgh today.

1 hour ago, jmothecat said:

As much as I struggle to really care about the Lions the number of people wearing Lions shirts shows there must be a decent fan base for it. I noticed a fair amount in Edinburgh today.

My son's school is going on a rugby tour to Australia next month.  Everyone else (aye, right) is buying a Lions top for training so can he have one?  I gave him 3 reasons why not and offered him a Scotland shirt instead.  To his credit he went for the deal.

My son's school is going on a rugby tour to Australia next month.  Everyone else (aye, right) is buying a Lions top for training so can he have one?  I gave him 3 reasons why not and offered him a Scotland shirt instead.  To his credit he went for the deal.

Australia!!!!.. when I was at school the only overseas trip we got was Millport

3 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Australia!!!!.. when I was at school the only overseas trip we got was Millport

Aye, I seem to recall our most adventurous trip was a weekend 7s tournament in Kelso or Gala when I was in 6th year and we got fucking battered.

I constantly stop myself saying to them such as, "See in Motherwell in the 70s..."

7 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

There's definitely not a huge amount of overreacting on this thread.

Good resilience, MC.  Taken you less than a week to bounce back from your club's debacle.

I sent Justine Mitchell a tweet offering her a comfort cuddle. I've not heard back, per se, but I'm sure she's clearing her diary for a trip to High Wycombe.

Blues team named for 2nd tour game 

15. Michael Collins
14. Matt Duffie
13. George Moala
12. Sonny Bill Williams/TJ Faiane
11. Rieko Ioane
10. Stephen Perofeta
9. Augustine Pulu

1. Ofa Tu’ungafasi
2. James Parsons (c)
3. Charlie Faumuina
4. Gerard Cowley-Tuioti
5. Scott Scrafton
6. Akira Ioane
7. Blake Gibson
8. Steven Luatua

Replacements:
16. Hame Faiva
17. Alex Hodgman
18. Sione Mafileo
19. Patrick Tuipulotu
20. Kara Pryor
21. Sam Nock
22. Ihaia West
23. TJ Faiane/Melani Nanai

On 6/3/2017 at 10:49, Mon_The_Fife said:

I saw that more tickets had been released for the test matches. Starting from around $400 each. I will pass.

Still contemplating heading along to Eden Park on Wednesday vs the Blues. $129 a ticket isn't very appealing though.

$49 was all I paid for my ticket for tomorrow night...

Archived