Lions Watch 2017

John Lambies Doos

15 minutes ago, dogmc said:

Hadnt even been capped by Scotland at that point. English media were fuming that him n Wallace had been picked for squad ahead of English props. Turned to pure apoplexy when they were picked for tests emoji16.png Picking Bentley from league was unpopular too yet the selections were inspired.

Was it Tom Smith who was a farrier (and I mean the 'f' and not the 't') in his day job or was that another Scotland prop of the same era?

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Was it Tom Smith who was a farrier (and I mean the 'f' and not the 't') in his day job or was that another Scotland prop of the same era?

Peter wright was a blacksmith in between giving away penalties. Not sure about tom smith. He was right at the time when rugby was going full time pro. Was a class act though. Kind of a forgotten guy cos he just didnt do any media stuff but was a genuinely world class prop back in the day. His try v fiji in rwc 07 ensured we beat them n qualified for qtrs ahead of them.....despite the fact he didnt quite ground it n they had outplayed us.

Yes...Peter Wright.  We've not had that many world-class props and he wasn't one.

Nope.....but he was picked for the lions ahead of jeff probyn which produced a wondrous amount of seethe. Very much an aherm 'old school' brigade member (dirty as feck). Very good listen on the bbc Scotland rugby commentaries as he isnt shy about laying into crap refs when they are deserving of it. Had a promising start to his coaching career with Glasgow hawks n Scotland u19s i think but sru didnt appreciate his ummm.....direct style of communication. Apparently did a fine job on commentary for the bowls during commonwealth games....who says props cant multitask ?

My cousin said Peter Wright was a complete numpty when he coached him at Scotland u20s.

One thing that made me laugh about him though; while doing the commentary on the opening Friday of the Celtic League as I think it was then he resolved to try and refrain from abusing refs so much that season and he managed reasonably well that night. The next day I went to watch his Glasgow Hawks team at Myreside and he spent the whole 80 minutes screaming at the ref despite a comfortable win.

BBC story on Hartley not making the squad (quite rightly) says that Hogg and Seymour/Maitland will be the only Scottish players going.

Gatlands head detachments from being dingyed by toony and us beating wales are laughable but if its right that hes also ignoring English guys like joseph n launchberry then hes plain at it. I suppose being devil's advocate there may be some elite players there looking at nz, looking at gatland and deciding that nah this is one tour to miss. Be pretty surprised if that was the case mind. There was a lions tour in nz in early 80s when lions were pretty much humiliated due to nepotism n infighting n selectors refusing to pick best players ( think colin deans was a stick on for hooker but didnt get a sniff). That was nearly the end of the lions. This could easily go same way. Very much hope we dont prop up their squad with our lads when injuries hit due to us being close by. It could be a pretty toxic experience. As an aside if the selection rumours are close to true, id fancy Scotland to beat the lions (obviously we get first dibs on hogg ).

Peter wright was a blacksmith in between giving away penalties. Not sure about tom smith. He was right at the time when rugby was going full time pro. Was a class act though. Kind of a forgotten guy cos he just didnt do any media stuff but was a genuinely world class prop back in the day. His try v fiji in rwc 03 ensured we beat them n qualified for qtrs ahead of them.....despite the fact he didnt quite ground it n they had outplayed us.

FTFY

Gatlands head detachments from being dingyed by toony and us beating wales are laughable but if its right that hes also ignoring English guys like joseph n launchberry then hes plain at it. I suppose being devil's advocate there may be some elite players there looking at nz, looking at gatland and deciding that nah this is one tour to miss. Be pretty surprised if that was the case mind. There was a lions tour in nz in early 80s when lions were pretty much humiliated due to nepotism n infighting n selectors refusing to pick best players ( think colin deans was a stick on for hooker but didnt get a sniff). That was nearly the end of the lions. This could easily go same way. Very much hope we dont prop up their squad with our lads when injuries hit due to us being close by. It could be a pretty toxic experience. As an aside if the selection rumours are close to true, id fancy Scotland to beat the lions (obviously we get first dibs on hogg ).

In fairness, you guys have called it on this thread. I get that England are by far the best of the bunch, but there's not much case to argue for half a dozen Welshmen and only two Scots, even if both of those players will most likely start/be on the bench.

And of course, there are always injuries.

Warburton confirmed as skipper according to bbc.....doubt even the most ardent Welsh fan could make a case for that.

Eta I'm not a gambler but I'd imagine the bookies are going to be offering some pretty interesting odds once the squad is announced.

Warburton wasn't even captain during Wales 6N campaign. It was Alun Wyn Jones. Also, he doesn't even captain the Cardiff Blues. It's Gethin Jenkins that does that.

How on Earth does Warburton just get to waltz into the Lions captaincy so easily if rumours are true?!

Warburton wasn't even captain during Wales 6N campaign. It was Alun Wyn Jones. Also, he doesn't even captain the Cardiff Blues. It's Gethin Jenkins that does that.

How on Earth does Warburton just get to waltz into the Lions captaincy so easily if rumours are true?!

He stood himself down because his form was so bad. It was a surprise to see him even named in Wales squad (James Davies must have been fuming). It's insanity from gatland on a Strachanesque level.

I'm taking the telegraphs squad prediction as gospel and I've already gotten angry about it.
I hope there's a Scottish journalist or two at the press conference with the balls to take Gatland to task on his selection or at least ask in their most sarcastic tone if Stuart Hogg's form made it easy for him to pick the squads token Scottish player.

Be interested to see what pundits make of it. A lot seem to have been championing the causes of several Scots.

I noticed this. A lot of the BBC guys especially have been making the case that there could easily have been 6/7 Scottish players in the squad. Instead we'll have 1/2 at most and that's ridiculous especially if it was to be picked on form. Whilst Scotland may have finished 4th at the 6N the argument is there to be made we were the second best rugby playing team there.

Be interested to see what pundits make of it. A lot seem to have been championing the causes of several Scots.

Already sounds like knives are being sharpened over the high profile English omissions. The only Scot they'd be caring about is hogg who will be in the squad. They will eviscerate gatland though.

I noticed this. A lot of the BBC guys especially have been making the case that there could easily have been 6/7 Scottish players in the squad. Instead we'll have 1/2 at most and that's ridiculous especially if it was to be picked on form. Whilst Scotland may have finished 4th at the 6N the argument is there to be made we were the second best rugby playing team there.

Said at the time the England game would be Gatland's excuse

Archived