Lions Watch 2017

John Lambies Doos

Please use to put Lions comments, selections etc

From Scotland

I think gatland will take. Hogg, Seymour, J Gray, laidlaw, Russell (if he takes 3 outhalfs) and maitland. Hogg and J Gray start test team, laidlaw captains midweek team. Maitland bench cover... and Russell touring experience

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hogg and Jonny Gray should be stick ons, I'd throw Ryan Wilson in as my guess for a wildcard pick, he seems to have sorted out his liability to get carded and might get a punt to cover a few positions for the midweek team. Having been at Murrayfield yesterday and watched bits of the other two games I didn't see anyone who was miles ahead of the other Scottish possibles such as Seymour, Dunbar or Maitland.

On a separate question re the Lions, what would people's opinion be as supporters re players scraping onto the bench for the non test games as opposed to just not being selected and touring with Scotland?

1 hour ago, ddfg said:

Hogg and Jonny Gray should be stick ons, I'd throw Ryan Wilson in as my guess for a wildcard pick, he seems to have sorted out his liability to get carded and might get a punt to cover a few positions for the midweek team. Having been at Murrayfield yesterday and watched bits of the other two games I didn't see anyone who was miles ahead of the other Scottish possibles such as Seymour, Dunbar or Maitland.

On a separate question re the Lions, what would people's opinion be as supporters re players scraping onto the bench for the non test games as opposed to just not being selected and touring with Scotland?

I'd much rather they toured with Scotland, especially with it being Toony's first trip in charge. Different if they are in the Test team and perform well, that will give those players a big confidence boost that they can then bring back into the Scotland set up.

I think Dunbar is quietly making a case. He was much better than Henshaw on Saturday, and he's the kind of player Gatland likes (barring being Scottish of course)! If Farrell plays at stand off, I think Dunbar has a real shot at 12.

I think the only players really nailed on at the moment are Hogg, Farrell and Murray, despite his poor performance at the weekend. I think everything else is still up for grabs.

Here's Jeremy Guscott's starting XV.

f65b875a30639ad7b9b86139c8759c79.jpg

Five Scots in there. I don't claim to be much of an expert... is that actually likely? When was the last time we had that many in the team?

A long time ago, if ever.

No that won't happen. If we continue the form that we showed against Ireland then I can certainly see us having a fair few in the overall squad. Probably as many since the grand slam players of 1999 were around.

Eta I'd really love to see Laidlaw in the squad. I think on a Lions tour you need as many leaders as possible and he's certainly that. It would also be a fitting reward.

You have to go with the Lions IMO. It's the pinnacle of a home nations player's career. You're playing at a level and under the sort of scrutiny you just don't get elsewhere. Plus training and spending time with the top players from England, Wales and Ireland.

6 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Oh OK, so that's just the rugby equivalent of Garth Crooks' team of the week, then?

Be nice to have at least two or three start. Was looking at the last couple of series on Wikipedia and we had hardly any involvement.

Except Laidlaw isn't playing prop forward, nor Sean Maitland at scrum half.

Here's Jeremy Guscott's starting XV.

f65b875a30639ad7b9b86139c8759c79.jpg

Five Scots in there. I don't claim to be much of an expert... is that actually likely? When was the last time we had that many in the team?

Martin Johnson's selection popped up on Facebook earlier, as well as those 5 he also had Ford and Strauss in the team. Not a chance that will happen come the summer but probably fair enough based on Saturday's performance.

Maitland made the squad in 2013, and has the added advantage in Gatland's eyes now of not playing for Glasgow.
Imo Hogg, Maitland, Laidlaw and Richie Gray will all make the squad, but Laidlaw will be there to lead the midweek team. The other 3 can contend for a place in the Test side, but with Gatlandball on the cards I'm not sure Hogg will play.
It was good to hear Shane Williams talking up Hogg on Sunday, making the point that he doesn't just turn up and play like this in the 6 nations, but that he has been playing like this for Glasgow for the last couple of years too.

I agree that there have been times when we were pretty garbage and didn't deserve many Lion places but there have been tours when you've looked at squads and shook your head that a certain Scotland player or two didn't make the squad let alone the test team. I seem to remember a front rower (Murray or Tom Smith maybe?) and a back rower (Jason White?) only being later additions to the squad rather than being first picks for the tour party for instance. 

• 3 weeks later...
Right. So far imo, these are the Scottish lads on the plane

J Gray and R Gray, Hogg, Seymour, maitland, Russell.

Possibles: Laidlaw(if fit), Barclay

Performance wise I agree 100% percent, but I just can't see that many Scots being picked by Gatland. Going by his his history, we'll have only have Hogg, one of the wingers and one of the Gray brothers called up in the initial squad. Possibly more as late injury replacements.

I have no faith in the man to go on merit. Plus he seemed to toss the dummy out the pram when Toony knocked back a coaching role (mind you that might actually lead to him picking more Scots, as a f**k you to Toony for choosing the Scotland tour over the Lions. Gatland might pick the best Scottish players just to fester on the fringes of the midweek team out of pure spite.).

For me those that will be definites and maybes are - we have a good chance of players being called up as injury cover being just across the tasman on tour

Props - none unless Nel is back playing before the end of the season

Hooker - Brown maybe as a injury call up but Owens, Best, George and Hartley probably ahead of him

2nd Row - J. Gray Definate, R.Gray maybe but with Kruis, AWJ, Itoje, Lawes and Launchbury there's plenty off competition

Back Row - No definites but Barclay and Watson are maybes, I would add Strauss and Hardie as maybe but injury has probably ruled them out of contention. Stander, O'Brien, Tipuric, Faletau, Vunipola, Haskell, Heaslip will probably be Warburtons picks though

Scrum Half - Depends on Laidlaw's injury but could see him being midweek skipper, dont think there is much compeition and if Price plays well could force his way into contention but Murray, Webb and youngs likely to be the picks

Stand Off - I would take Russell as he has the potential to open up the all blacks defence, but Gatland will be too conservative and go with Sexton, Biggar, Ford and Farrell so will have no room for him

Centres - Davies, Roberts and Williams will be picked as they are used to Warrenball, Joseph, Henshaw and Ringrose are maybes. Depending on how Gatland wants to play (ie if he sticks Farrell at 10 instead of 12) I can see Dunbar getting the nod, Jones a maybe as there are not to many outstanding centres at the moment - Bennett would have been a shout last year but has dropped off after the olympics.

Wings - I think Seymour is definite, and Maitland and Visser are maybes. North, Williams, Zebo and Daly probably the other picks

Fullback - Hogg is nailed on, and will likely be joined by Halfpenny and a toss up between Kearney and Brown.

So I would say 3 definites and maybe another 6 or 7 maybes

• 1 month later...

Almost certain to go is hogg.

Likely to go is both the gray brothers despite fierce competition in that position and Seymour who is probably the most reliable and inform winger. Yes George north and Simon zebo will undoubtedly be automatic picks but for me Seymour no far behind.

Possibly ford will be cover I think as he has toured before

Russell has a good chance of making the squad to see how he will work with different players.

Dunbar will possibly make the non traveling injury squad but not much further I imagine.

Tim visser would be an interesting wild card sort of pick.

Other than that can't see anyone else breaking through for a lions jersey

Almost certain to go is hogg.

Likely to go is both the gray brothers despite fierce competition in that position and Seymour who is probably the most reliable and inform winger. Yes George north and Simon zebo will undoubtedly be automatic picks but for me Seymour no far behind.

Possibly ford will be cover I think as he has toured before

Russell has a good chance of making the squad to see how he will work with different players.

Dunbar will possibly make the non traveling injury squad but not much further I imagine.

Tim visser would be an interesting wild card sort of pick.

Other than that can't see anyone else breaking through for a lions jersey

I would certainly not have zebo before Seymour. To say zebo is an automatic pic is bizarre??? U must be picking RTE up on the tranny in South West Scotland to be coming up with that idea!!

I would certainly not have zebo before Seymour. To say zebo is an automatic pic is bizarre??? U must be picking RTE up on the tranny in South West Scotland to be coming up with that idea!!

Seymour is a great ball carrier and decent tackler with very good return on tries scored.

Zebo is the same but has better kicking and speed.

That's just my opinion of course. It would be great from a Scottish perspective if Scots were to be included rather than excluded but we also have to be realistic.

Archived