Please sign and share

sctv

6 minutes ago, Zen Archer said:

Councils are looking to earn money

How are councils supposed to pay for facilities if they cannot make them sustainable?

Yup

Perhaps @sctv would like us all to subsidise this through higher council tax?

We could also start a petition to shut these facilities down and give the money to "our brave troops", cancer research, the education budget or to help those in poverty.

It's more than sustainable , the facilities currently around are vastly over priced to use especially the 3 and 4g pitches. Lower the price to a more reasonable rate would see more teams able to use these facilities and therefore more players willing to play the game. Makes perfect sense if you ask me.

12 minutes ago, Disco30 said:

It's more than sustainable , the facilities currently around are vastly over priced to use especially the 3 and 4g pitches. Lower the price to a more reasonable rate would see more teams able to use these facilities and therefore more players willing to play the game. Makes perfect sense if you ask me.

Are you privy to the construction and running costs of the facility?

9 hours ago, Zen Archer said:

Are you privy to the construction and running costs of the facility?

no I am not unfortunately. Do you have the information for us all to see. The government have been trying to tackle scotlands growing obesity problem by encouraging people to be more active etc. Making all sports more available to everyone financially is a massive part of that IMO. Do you disagree that a vast number of people are currently priced out of taking up different sports especially football ?

What's the cost in Glasgow and surrounding areas for the use of a standard 3/4g facility? In Ayrshire you pay a £30 sports council fee for the year, then the cost of a 2 hour slot for a game is around £60, a standard council grass pitch is £30. I think that is decent value .

That's a decent deal I reckon. Glasgow is much more expensive

14 hours ago, Disco30 said:

no I am not unfortunately. Do you have the information for us all to see. The government have been trying to tackle scotlands growing obesity problem by encouraging people to be more active etc. Making all sports more available to everyone financially is a massive part of that IMO. Do you disagree that a vast number of people are currently priced out of taking up different sports especially football ?

The pounds and pence basics probably make it impossible for any authority to provide free access to facilities without external grants, this in itself tells a tale.

Local authorities have to find funding to build facilities but have to run and maintain them as well.

The money for this has to come from available budgets and to sustain these budgets revenue has to be raised, I hope you see where I'm going with this? This is not Field of Dreams.

Whether it be a 3/4G pitch or grass, it has to be maintained, likewise pavilions, they have to be maintained and cleaned, electricity for lighting and hot water for showers paid for, my argument is not concise, however I hope you understand the problems that a public authority has to juggle in terms of funding.

3 minutes ago, Zen Archer said:

The pounds and pence basics probably make it impossible for any authority to provide free access to facilities without external grants, this in itself tells a tale.

Local authorities have to find funding to build facilities but have to run and maintain them as well.

The money for this has to come from available budgets and to sustain these budgets revenue has to be raised, I hope you see where I'm going with this? This is not Field of Dreams.

Whether it be a 3/4G pitch or grass, it has to be maintained, likewise pavilions, they have to be maintained and cleaned, electricity for lighting and hot water for showers paid for, my argument is not concise, however I hope you understand the problems that a public authority has to juggle in terms of funding.

Totally understand what your saying and it's a fair point without doubt. In Glasgow It's beyond a joke getting to book even a 5s or 7s pitch for an hour alone it's upwards of 50 and that's not the ones that are ripping the piss out of it. These parks are in use constantly 7 days a week the income being generated is a substantial amount. I personally feel the council sees these facilities as cash cows and milk amateur football for everything they can. I also feel the rising cost is a major factor in so many teams folding over the last few years. I don't have any other answer to this problem  other than putting a cap on the price they charge teams for using the facilities especially for youth teams etc to encourage more youngsters to take up the sport without it being overly expensive to do so.

1 minute ago, Disco30 said:

Totally understand what your saying and it's a fair point without doubt. In Glasgow It's beyond a joke getting to book even a 5s or 7s pitch for an hour alone it's upwards of 50 and that's not the ones that are ripping the piss out of it. These parks are in use constantly 7 days a week the income being generated is a substantial amount. I personally feel the council sees these facilities as cash cows and milk amateur football for everything they can. I also feel the rising cost is a major factor in so many teams folding over the last few years. I don't have any other answer to this problem  other than putting a cap on the price they charge teams for using the facilities especially for youth teams etc to encourage more youngsters to take up the sport without it being overly expensive to do so.

Here is a suggestion, you may have to carefully word it though and it will cost you.

Submit a Freedom of Information request to your local authority in respect of how much money it costs to maintain the facilities and how much money it raises in respect of hires.

Archived