Do you play puggys?

Today I was sitting in a pub watching the Arsenal Chelsea match and a family came in for a meal.

The father gave his child a coin and told him "go put that in the machine and push the buttons."

The kid sat there for over an hour pushing buttons before walking back. Not sure if that is good parenting.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Today I was sitting in a pub watching the Arsenal Chelsea match and a family came in for a meal.

The father gave his child a coin and told him "go put that in the machine and push the buttons."

The kid sat there for over an hour pushing buttons before walking back. Not sure if that is good parenting.

Fucking right it is, I wish I'd have thought of that.

On 04/02/2017 at 12:26, Deanburn Dave said:

Mu uncle used to deliver and maintain these machines in the early 80's.   He said the % of money paid out is adjusted as the club/pub see fit.   Said it was a mugs game and a total waste of money.    Stayed off them ever since.

if pubs/clubs are cauight doing this and the % isnt the same as whats displayed at the top of the machine they can be done for it im sure

as for these % indicators though, they are one lot of bollocks

44 minutes ago, 54_and_counting said:

if pubs/clubs are cauight doing this and the % isnt the same as whats displayed at the top of the machine they can be done for it im sure

as for these % indicators though, they are one lot of bollocks

One trick a lot of pubs use is to bump up the payout % of a new puggy anything up to the maximum (98%). Most punters will do well out of it and all the regulars will think the new puggy is much better than the old one. After a couple of weeks, the pub will knock the payout down to the mid seventies (the minimum is 70%), sit back and watch the money roll in. Then after about 3 months, once everyone's getting fed up with the shite-paying old puggy, a new one is wheeled in and the process is repeated. 

6 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

One trick a lot of pubs use is to bump up the payout % of a new puggy anything up to the maximum (98%). Most punters will do well out of it and all the regulars will think the new puggy is much better than the old one. After a couple of weeks, the pub will knock the payout down to the mid seventies (the minimum is 70%), sit back and watch the money roll in. Then after about 3 months, once everyone's getting fed up with the shite-paying old puggy, a new one is wheeled in and the process is repeated. 

i knew a snookerhall that basically tossed its own coins into the puggy before opening on a sat lunchtime, 250 quid jackpot (two of them actually)

if the puggys didnt pay out a jackpot on the friday night, they used their own coins from the tills and fed it until the jackpot dropped, nothing less, and fed maybe bout a tenner in after that to see if it dropped again (some did), after that they simply allowed the mugs on a saturday to think that it must have been fed all friday night etc

Just now, 54_and_counting said:

i knew a snookerhall that basically tossed its own coins into the puggy before opening on a sat lunchtime, 250 quid jackpot (two of them actually)

if the puggys didnt pay out a jackpot on the friday night, they used their own coins from the tills and fed it until the jackpot dropped, nothing less, and fed maybe bout a tenner in after that to see if it dropped again (some did), after that they simply allowed the mugs on a saturday to think that it must have been fed all friday night etc

Most pubs now "refill" their machines in the morning. This means that the first pound coin that goes in will fall to the bottom, and those who are a wee bit "in the know" will think it's full and therefore more likely to pay out. Whereas in the reality, the amount of money in the machine doesn't really matter ... it could still be full to the brim after paying multiple jackpots, or it could be half empty (e.g. if someone had pumped it full of notes) and still pay out. 

The only roulette game I'd trust would be one where somebody actually physically throws a ball onto an actual spinning wheel, certainly not a virtual one potentially (or probably) rigged against a player's favour.

57 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Most pubs now "refill" their machines in the morning. This means that the first pound coin that goes in will fall to the bottom, and those who are a wee bit "in the know" will think it's full and therefore more likely to pay out. Whereas in the reality, the amount of money in the machine doesn't really matter ... it could still be full to the brim after paying multiple jackpots, or it could be half empty (e.g. if someone had pumped it full of notes) and still pay out. 

Haha the old "my quid hit the bottom its gonna pay out" :lol: 

I don't think most pubs actually "Own" the puggies these days, they rent the space out to the suppliers.

Used to be the case that pubs would have the machines fixed and they would pretty much cover the staff wages with the takings from the puggies, as well as a bonus for the manager/chargehand tasked with emptying it. The skill in that was judging how much you could pocket without it being too far out from the overall change in weekly takings elsewhere in the pub.

3 hours ago, Emil Borkhausen said:

I mind in Frews last year there was a gambling addict who'd chucked £80-£90 in the piggy and was convinced it was away to pay out any minute.

There was also a business type guy sitting using a laptop at the table next to the puggy. My mate's had a few and says "look at that cunt, does he think this is fuckin Costa or something?" and decides "for a laugh" to go over to the wall socket and unplug the guy's laptop.

Yep, you've guessed it. He unplugged the puggy by mistake. Gambling addict had a quite mignificent scadgie.

The number of times I've wasted £80 or £90 on a piggy is outrageous.

However, you should maybe explain lap top batteries to your pal.

No attraction whatsoever, just don't understand em! I've a pal who'll happily play all night, seems fairly honest about what he wins and loses though. On the tables, he's the kind of guy that will take a decent win and ask you to stick a bundle of tenners in your pocket and not give it him back until the morning. Within ten minutes he's back wanting his funds!

I was bad for them years ago. My cousin was playing one in the tamdhu Bannockburn years ago and was convinced it was going to pay out. There were a load of hawkers waiting to pounce if he left it and he was bursting for a piss so he just went in the winnings tray filled it right up to the top.

Archived