Paying players?

sctv

Gave this a watch last night and thought it was very good. Both Colville boys come across very well especially Michael and you can see his passion for the game especially at this level. Thought they answered the questions very well and even without money you can see the attraction their as it sounds a great set up and success breeds success. 

One of our boys chucked Yoker juniors at end of the year and went to Colville and came back to ourselves. Few of our boys asked the question too but he says he pays a tenner and so do all the other boys. Fair play to Colville for managing to get the quality of boys in yous have.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Watched it last night and it was very interesting. In my experience players drop from senior and junior all over the country and go play amateur. It just so happens more of them are attracted to a club like colville at the moment as they are having a lot of success. Also the more ex senior or junior players you have the more likely they will attract others dropping down to amateur for work commitments, family reasons etc. I can't grudge these guys also who travel from Greenock to play because they are just trying to be successful and also with the chance to play in the real Scottish cup these days must be a pull for players. Nobody says you need to be paid in the game to sign for a team to be a success and test yourself with better players. Its not all about the money for some folk.
However and interesting point was made about Jamie Pollok who was due a significant signing on fee from gartcairn but asked to be released to go to colville. Things like that are the reason these rumours start and it can never be proven one way or another.
Also I would like to hear Micks thoughts on his comments about the list of players he tried to sign from rival clubs etc. What I would like to know is how he goes about this business. Do you approach players directly or do you contact their current club regardless if its the end of the season. IMO you should always contact the clubs manager and let them know you intend to speak to the player about joining.

It's amateur football! Your not going to talk to the club! All players are released at the end of each season regardless so everyone is fair game!

1 hour ago, Michael Kennedy said:

Hahahha you intrested in who knocked us back mate 

Players would find it hard to knock back playing for colville fantastic set up , team full of boys who could or should be playing top level junior or senior which would in turn make them better players as well. Can't imagine too many knocked back the opportunity mate. You came across very well in the video also I believed your club was among the few who pay players but watching that I have a different view on the situation so fair play.

1 hour ago, Hillview said:

Gave this a watch last night and thought it was very good. Both Colville boys come across very well especially Michael and you can see his passion for the game especially at this level. Thought they answered the questions very well and even without money you can see the attraction their as it sounds a great set up and success breeds success. 

One of our boys chucked Yoker juniors at end of the year and went to Colville and came back to ourselves. Few of our boys asked the question too but he says he pays a tenner and so do all the other boys. Fair play to Colville for managing to get the quality of boys in yous have.

Is that the boy that plays in the middle of the park ? 

Very good show. 

Alex, Michael and Huck come accross very well. But whats the point in the other guy? Is he the comedy side show? Just comes accross as a ned and offers nothing constructive to the interview. 

Could not agree more. I felt that Michael spoke extremely passionately about Colville park and amateur football and was putting his opinions and points across very. I thought the guy Desi interrupted and the worst times when Michael was talking. Other than that it was an intriguing watch.

Imo junior players are massively over paid. When it comes to amateur i believe there are teams that pay and frankly it dosent bother me, its still 11 v 11. What would be wrong with not charging players dues along with not paying them?(if the club can afford it) Jealousy of winning is all over lower level football. Leagues are great to win but for me you cant beat the one off occasion of a cup final, the lead up to it, the game itself and then the pub if you win. I personally would rather win 2 cups than one league. Colville have the chance of that year after year so no wonder players are willing to travel for that regardless of money.

• 2 weeks later...

There is probably a team in every association paying their players ie Craighall in Lothian and pennies in Stirling district, it's been going on for years amateur teams paying guys.
At every level in football whoever pays the most, the team is usually successful from amateur to professional.
It's just part of the game now.

• 2 weeks later...

It's as clear as Mud Colville must be doing something to get players in you could tell by the way they dodge certain questions and where very vocal on the others . . . .

UTTER BULL YOU SERIOUSLY THINK THEY ARE PAYING PLAYERS . . .

Then again  . . . . . . .

What about Drumchapel

Drum was a similar setup and most of the same players ?? both very close knit teams I will give that. . . . but is this due to the underhand tactics or is it just they are really all mates on and off the park . . it also stinks a bit when guys out there have the chance to play senior and are young enough to give it a real go . . . yet give it up to go play with there mates when a bit more determination and support from those mates could actually mean playing football for a living or paying a tenner a game. . .

Just my observation. . . .

New to this forum but been in the game long enough to know whats what.

1 hour ago, The Secret Footballer said:

It's as clear as Mud Colville must be doing something to get players in you could tell by the way they dodge certain questions and where very vocal on the others . . . .

UTTER BULL YOU SERIOUSLY THINK THEY ARE PAYING PLAYERS . . .

Then again  . . . . . . .

What about Drumchapel

Drum was a similar setup and most of the same players ?? both very close knit teams I will give that. . . . but is this due to the underhand tactics or is it just they are really all mates on and off the park . . it also stinks a bit when guys out there have the chance to play senior and are young enough to give it a real go . . . yet give it up to go play with there mates when a bit more determination and support from those mates could actually mean playing football for a living or paying a tenner a game. . .

Just my observation. . . .

New to this forum but been in the game long enough to know whats what.

New to the forum so a little recap of things gone past. This topic gets repeated year on year and nothing can be done unless players come clean about being paid by a club(never going to happen). If you have the proof that underhand tactics are afoot then by all means air them to the world as me and all the many other fans of the ammy game would love to see cheats being put in their rightful place. As for colville and the drum you've pointed out it's been a lot of the same boys but that's a topic you should take up with their manager , Michael Kennedy has already stated that if any current or former player comes out saying they have been paid by their club that he would resign on the spot. Still to this day nothing's been proven of any wrong doing so I won't hold my breath good chap. Welcome aboard.

Nucleus of players from templeton albert to the drum then colville and im sure you Michael played with all 3 explains why they boys have stuck together, and know ex eddlewood players never received payment after joining colville after they folded. I also believe they don't especially after there announcement they have received no sponsorship from country club for years means they might not have been aswell off as rest of us think looking from outside.

New to forum but been reading from the outside for a while now and this topic seems to come up regularly. From my experience of the amatuer game not known anyone ever to be paid. Heard loads of rumours but never any hard evidence. Couple of ex team mates of mine left our club that had been fairly succesful and joined michael when he was playing for the Drum. Rumours they were paying at the time but i know these 2 players did not receive a penny and moved clubs solely for football reasons. They felt had better chance of winning major honours and international recognition by moving clubs.

16 minutes ago, Ped said:

Nucleus of players from templeton albert to the drum then colville and im sure you Michael played with all 3 explains why they boys have stuck together, and know ex eddlewood players never received payment after joining colville after they folded. I also believe they don't especially after there announcement they have received no sponsorship from country club for years means they might not have been aswell off as rest of us think looking from outside.

Seems that way. Did Colville have to pay the country club for use of the changing facilities and excellent park they have up there. I'm sure it's a set up that if taken up by another team will be of massive benefit to them.

1 hour ago, Brydo83 said:

was it cash , council  or proper maybe that question ?

That wasn't a serious question and of it was it didn't merit an answer.

Alex will confirm that prior to the interview I agreed that he could ask me any question he wished. I believe I answers every question put to me. Unless someone has watched and seen something different.

if there are questions I dodged I will happily answer them 

52 minutes ago, Michael Kennedy said:

That wasn't a serious question and of it was it didn't merit an answer.

Alex will confirm that prior to the interview I agreed that he could ask me any question he wished. I believe I answers every question put to me. Unless someone has watched and seen something different.

if there are questions I dodged I will happily answer them 

correct it wasn't am just having a laugh

Colville seem to be just a well run club with a manager who has good contacts for players etc. The success then attracts players every season from all levels.

Colville will always be rumoured but tbh there not a side I often hear are paying. Possil, Larkhall, Southside are teams I hear more frequently mentioned of players being offered incentives to join.

Archived