Airdrie v Peterhead

In the first half we were utterly dire. Chasing shadows when Peterhead were attacking, and unable to strip three passes together when we were, by and large. Like so many games this season, you'd have been hard pressed to tell which team trained full time, and which trained two evenings a week.

The second half was as good as I've seen us this season, and we can only hope the confidence they've gained from it, and especially in winning after being behind, will be carried into next week. Started off by wondering if it was going to be one of those days, with all those chances missed, but all credit to the team, they really turned it around and had really took advantage of Peterhead when they were rattled. Mensing, aside from their goal, had a very good game, but a special shout-out to Stewart for his cameo. We know and he knows that he had a real stinker last week, and by all accounts against East Kilbride as well, so for him to come on and get a goal like that will hopefully be good for his confidence.

Onwards and upwards!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Blue-Toon said:

Classic game of two halves. Airdrie must have put sleeping pills in the Peterhead players half time drink. It could easily have been 6 second half goals against us as the post was rattled twice. Turning point was Grant Anderson's miss from a good chance to make it 2-0 early in the second half but Peterhead's decision to invite Airdrie to attack rebounded big time. Hopefully last week's good win against Queens Park is not a one off or we are in trouble. 

I agree. We did wonder about that as well. His miss was incredible and it did seem to awake Airdrie. I think all the teams in this league bar Livingstone could be in trouble?

Unfortunately missed today's game but thought it was going to be same old same old when checking the score at half - time. Fantastic turn around though and glad to hear the defence was more solid, bar the Peterhead goal. Looking forward to checking out Ryan and Stewart's goals in the highlights and particularly happy for Stewart who can hopefully now put last week behind him. Hopefully now we can regain our confidence and start to push on.

Bloody hell what happened today ?

As much as the team deserves pelters when they don't perform, it's great to see some positives for a change.

Obviously it's only one game but the fact that Mensing and McGregor were coming under pretty severe scrutiny - as they are at polar opposites of their playing careers and presumably Wilsons signings - and came out of the game with positives, can only be a step in the right direction (at long last).

Looking forward to the highlights for a change !

P.S Hope the protester(s) changed their mind.

First half was dire although we could have been in front with Ryan's chance. Although we were behind through a soft goal (2 soft challenges and Ferguson could have done better) I thought we looked more solid at the back. Mensing and McGregor looked a decent partnership. Hopefully McGregor's injury isn't bad although I thought Gorman was decent when he came on. Our 2nd half performance was as good as we've been for a long while. We probably could have scored more but can't be too critical.

I thought young MacKay got better as the game went on and took his goal well. He is worth a run in the team. Conroy took his goal well as did Ryan but a special mention to Scott Stewart. What a goal that was. Hopefully we can take the 2nd half performance into the next game. 

While obviously delighted by the final score, there was also plenty today that could have been improved upon, especially in the first half.  I don't see why we continue to play Russell out wide.  He should either be played up front where he can still have some impact, or not at all, as he's totally anonymous and ineffectual playing as a winger.  That's not his game, especially not at his age.  Stewart should start wide right, McIntosh at right back, Russell either up front or on the bench.  

Mensing wasnt only good defensively his ball distribution was excellent and the only time mccallister got the better of him he scored so was little unfortunate he is defiantly a leader. McGregor also did well looks a quality defender and it was a shame he got injured. It was also good though we had a good centre half on bench to turn to in Gorman who came on and marked mccallister out of the game. A good headache for the manager next week on selection 3 centre half's impressing and doing well. Adam Brown deserves praise he gets stick at times however credit where its due he had a fantastic 2nd half performance. Felt playing 442 suited Hutton today and probably his best game in Airdrie shirt. Andy Ryan one of best strikers we have had in a long time his finish today was exceptional. Scott Stewart goal was great and I think position he played today suits him as he is good going forward. McKay credit where it's due his goal was very important and he was unfortunate he hadn't scored just before when hit the post. Great 2nd half performance.

2 minutes ago, blueone said:

WTF happened from our side? 1-0 up with 20 minutes to go and losing 4-1!!

No sending off or injuries either apparently.

Was it  a total collapse? Or just our old inconsistencies again?

To be honest, I didn't think either team played well before the 60 minute mark, at which point Airdrie just seemed to click.

McAllister started well and scored, but was booked shortly after for a blatant dive and was worse than a man short after that.

We had a few good chances, one off the post and two cleared off the line, but after the hour mark we seemed to go up a gear and Peterhead looked done. We were first to everything (for a pleasant change), and scored four good goals.

Peterhead's gameplan seems to be "just get the ball to McAllister" - which is understandable with his goalscoring record, but when he's having an off day it wrecks your chances.

Mensing set the tone early on with McCallister where he bullied McCallister from the edge of our box to sidelines. I think today it was not so much McCallister was poor but our 3 centre backs were all good and for me the centre of the defense will do well now. I am more confident the teams results are going to improve and todays result is just the start.

The open goal miss to put us 2-0 behind killed Peterheid as we were on the point of meltdown.

Conroy and Hutton literally grabbed us by the scruff of the neck and got us back into it.   Conroy is just a superb player and totally underratted.

Peterhead were just as bad as us and fell away once Stevenson went off.

We were a shambles for an hour today but finished the game very strong.  

Was it us who were irresistable or Peterhead who fell apart?

We'll find out next week

8 hours ago, Kennboy1978 said:

By whom ? They need their head checked. Always looks very comfortable on the ball and very rarely loses it

I've very rarely heard him given a mention whilst he's performed week in week out.  Even his old team's  fans gave him a poor write up.

He and Hutton are forming a poor man's Balfour and Black ( not meant disrespectfully - B+B did perform in cup finals and Europe) and that makes Wilson's team selection last week all the more frustrating.

I've very rarely heard him given a mention whilst he's performed week in week out.  Even his old team's  fans gave him a poor write up.
He and Hutton are forming a poor man's Balfour and Black ( not meant disrespectfully - B+B did perform in cup finals and Europe) and that makes Wilson's team selection last week all the more frustrating.

Bizarrely he's even been criticised quite heavily, especially after the last QP game, despite being our best and most consistent midfielder. His range of passing is excellent and he can always instigate a move. So long as we actually use the midfield rather than humping the ball over their heads.

That last 20 minutes or so was a joy to watch, wish we could play like that every week.

We played pretty poorly for large parts of this game albeit the defensive pairing of Mensing and McGregor looked far more assured. Hopefully McGregor's injury isn't too bad,

Our two weak links imo are Russell (who I've said enough about already) and the full backs.

Think young McIntosh has plenty of potential but is getting caught out of position and out muscled a lot at the moment. I'm happy to persist with him though as I'm sure he'll turn out to be a cracking player (and let's be honest we've got no one else to play there).

I think McDonald is suffering from being exposed too much. Both Russell and Brown, whoever is playing wide left, offer no defensive cover which means McDonalds defensive frailties are badly exposed. I would rather see Gorman at LB assuming McGregor is fit.

Hopefully this will give the squad a bit of confidence ahead our trip to play a faltering Brechin side next Saturday.

Are you watching a different game from everyone else macdonald has been one of our more consistent players you have just said mckintosh gets caught out of position but you want to keep him in the team you have lost me macdonald won't be dropped for obvious reasons fact

Archived