Airdrie v Peterhead

Interestingly selection issues for Airdrie. Assume Boateng remains out for Mensing but interesting to see if McGregor starts. Will Gorman be dropped for him? My guess is no. Another possibility is playing both with Gorman playing at left back but I doubt it. Although MacDonald has been poor defensively I can see the manager sticking with him as he has some pace going forward.

Another major issue is whether Stewart plays further forward.

Whatever, another tough game and with confidence low I'm not optimistic.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Absolute stick on win for us as I am still away with work and it seems we only win when I am away :lol:

Although seriously the new signings done the business on Saturday so hopefully they can carry that on.

I would like to see

Ferguson

McGregor mensing Gorman

Stewart McIntosh Hutton Conroy McDonald

Ryan Russell

As long as the full backs can track back and do a job defensively I think this could work.

I'm presuming leitch is suspended, and boateng and McDonald are available after there suspension.

It would beef up the bench with boateng and brown with McKay .

On 02/02/2017 at 21:08, carlukediamond said:

I would like to see

Ferguson

McGregor mensing Gorman

Ryan Russell

As long as the full backs can track back and do a job defensively I think this could work.

I'm presuming leitch is suspended, and boateng and McDonald are available after there suspension.

I'd go that except have Brown in for McIntosh. Have Conroy and Hutton sitting with Brown playing central attacking. Brown gets a bit of stick but there is no way he should, or will, be dropped. After Ryan and Conroy he's been our best player this season.

I would like to see

Ferguson
McGregor mensing Gorman
Ryan Russell

Only change I'd make from that is start McKay up front with Ryan instead of the utterly hopeless and ineffectual Russell.

Think McKay and Ryan could be a good partnership if they're given a run of games together.

Only change I'd make from that is start McKay up front with Ryan instead of the utterly hopeless and ineffectual Russell.

Think McKay and Ryan could be a good partnership if they're given a run of games together.

I only picked Russell down to the fact he's played well when he's up front with Ryan. I know he's divided opinion but just my opinion he's better as a striker and not in midfield or out on the wing.

I'd go that except have Brown in for McIntosh. Have Conroy and Hutton sitting with Brown playing central attacking. Brown gets a bit of stick but there is no way he should, or will, be dropped. After Ryan and Conroy he's been our best player this season.

I agree Brown will probably start, again just my opinion just felt we needed a wee bit more dig and sadly you don't always get that with brown, if he would just put in a tackle.

3 hours ago, Diamond Oracle said:

The "utterly hopeless and ineffectual Russell" has scored 13 goals this season with several assists. Ok, a lot of them are penalties but a goal is a goal. I would agree that he has to play as a striker. He is too old to play elsewhere.

Few thoughts on today other than delighted with a win and three points.

Mensing looks like a great addition - caught out and skipped past for that Peterhead goal but he wasn't the only one. Overall we're much more solid with him there and wins a lot in there air. I was a bit dubious - but happy to say he looks like what we've been missing. Young McGregor also looked decent enough - hope he didn't get a bad knock.

Game of two halves is right enough - not sure why Peterhead sat back in second half the way they did but it allowed much more time and space in than they gave us in the first. Seemed bizarre as we still look shaky when teams run at us.

Delighted to see the goals spread about the team - particularly Scott Stewart.

On the down side (and I don't want to be too down on them) we need to get much closer to teams we give them all the space in the world and are never there to win the second balls and 50/50s. We really need to up the work rate - close down quickly - we seem so lazy as a team.

Enjoy your Saturday night diamonds!

Hard to describe today. In first half we were terrible with only Hutton trying to stem the tide. Don't know what Wilson put in the half time cup of tea but it worked wonders. After our equaliser we swept Peterhead aside with our best football of the season. You saw the confidence flowing and almost everyone started playing well.

Mensing looks a good signing. He is well organised and shouts as those around him which is just what we need. Although we only saw a half from McGregor there was promise there. Gorman was good when he came on.

Third and fourth goals were things of beauty for different reasons. If we can keep second half display we will make the playoffs.

6 minutes ago, She who dares gins said:

Few thoughts on today other than delighted with a win and three points.

Mensing looks like a great addition - caught out and skipped past for that Peterhead goal but he wasn't the only one. Overall we're much more solid with him there and wins a lot in there air. I was a bit dubious - but happy to say he looks like what we've been missing. Young McGregor also looked decent enough - hope he didn't get a bad knock.

Game of two halves is right enough - not sure why Peterhead sat back in second half the way they did but it allowed much more time and space in than they gave us in the first. Seemed bizarre as we still look shaky when teams run at us.

Delighted to see the goals spread about the team - particularly Scott Stewart.

On the down side (and I don't want to be too down on them) we need to get much closer to teams we give them all the space in the world and are never there to win the second balls and 50/50s. We really need to up the work rate - close down quickly - we seem so lazy as a team.

Enjoy your Saturday night diamonds!

Agree about closing down and I thought they did that in the second half especially Hutton. It was an astonishing turn around after they missed a cert at 1-0 and all the negative talk at half time was pleasantly put to bed by full time. Can understand why Stewart was on bench after last week and maybe that is a sign that MW might do the same to others who put in a poor shift? ( If he has choices) Thought the young guy Mckay finally decided that running to harass defenders was a good tactic and he took his goal really well/was unlucky with the one that hit post. My row were all smiles at fulltime but you should have seen us at half time. Mind you Rory McCallister is more a moaning face than even us.

3 minutes ago, waysider said:

Hard to describe today. In first half we were terrible with only Hutton trying to stem the tide. Don't know what Wilson put in the half time cup of tea but it worked wonders. After our equaliser we swept Peterhead aside with our best football of the season. You saw the confidence flowing and almost everyone started playing well.

Mensing looks a good signing. He is well organised and shouts as those around him which is just what we need. Although we only saw a half from McGregor there was promise there. Gorman was good when he came on.

Third and fourth goals were things of beauty for different reasons. If we can keep second half display we will make the playoffs.

That was the first game I have seen a win since I was at Peterhead so this is a great Saturday night. We now have won more games than anyone else bar Livingston and wins are better than draws (and defeats!) so staying in top four looks well within our grasp if we play with confidence. Mind you it is Airdrie so who knows!

Classic game of two halves. Airdrie must have put sleeping pills in the Peterhead players half time drink. It could easily have been 6 second half goals against us as the post was rattled twice. Turning point was Grant Anderson's miss from a good chance to make it 2-0 early in the second half but Peterhead's decision to invite Airdrie to attack rebounded big time. Hopefully last week's good win against Queens Park is not a one off or we are in trouble. 

Archived