Stranraer v Albion Rovers

Big game for the blues,first win for the new manager,maybe off bottom spot and get closer to Rovers.Little between the teams this season and current form suggests a close one,the blues started a bit of a run this time last season,hopefully history repeats itself in 2017.

It was a good game when we won 3-2 back at Cliftonhill in November. We got one or two lucky breaks if I remember right and I couldn't have complained if it finished 2-2.

If we play in the manner that we did in the 2nd half against Alloa last week then we should win. We never have an easy time down at Stranraer though.

Won't make it due to work unfortunately

A draw no good for us ,Albion have two games in hand and are 7 points clear as are Peterhead , and with stenny in good form a draw could see them increase their lead over us if they win tomorrow .

so far this season Brian Reid took the responsibility for our embarrassing form and lost his job over it , I have never criticised our players and now is the time for them to get the finger out and proved they were not totally to blame for our poor form , so for me a win tomorrow is a must , if we can't beat a team just above us in the league whilst at home then little chance of picking up points against the " better teams " in the league. I read we played much better at east fife and unlucky not to win so if we can improve further tomorrow and pick up a win then confidence will be much higher in the team and it might just save our season .

a defeat and I fear the worst 

7 hours ago, kvz2000 said:

A draw no good for us ,Albion have two games in hand and are 7 points clear as are Peterhead , and with stenny in good form a draw could see them increase their lead over us if they win tomorrow .

so far this season Brian Reid took the responsibility for our embarrassing form and lost his job over it , I have never criticised our players and now is the time for them to get the finger out and proved they were not totally to blame for our poor form , so for me a win tomorrow is a must , if we can't beat a team just above us in the league whilst at home then little chance of picking up points against the " better teams " in the league. I read we played much better at east fife and unlucky not to win so if we can improve further tomorrow and pick up a win then confidence will be much higher in the team and it might just save our season .

a defeat and I fear the worst 

A good summary of Stranraer's season and their position going into this game. It's also why a draw would be an excellent result for us - I'd expect a bit of bus parking with fast breakaways from us.

Yes excellent performance and as I had hoped the players today really put in a shift with no failures, great team effort and a well deserved victory over a good Albion side, for the first time in a while we played some lovely football , several MOTM performances , so a huge well done to all concerned , the new lad Neill was excellent today and won every ball in the air and with the outstanding Barron beside him we were solid at the back.

Donald also had a really good game and once he gets match fit will be a regular starter in the team , if we can continue like this then we do have a real possibility of avoiding the drop and I feel far more confident for our trip to Livingstone next week 

Easy win for Raer against an insipid Rovers. We meekly conceded the midfield, allowing Agnew, Gibson and Donald to dominate. In a game which the hosts had to win, they did just that, making me wonder why they're foot of the table. Were these same players (mostly) not trying for Reid?

In the end a very good win. First half wasn't great to watch but Stranraer the better team. Albion Rovers had a period where they threatened to get back on level terms and when Agnew somehow elected not to take the easy option and simply tap the ball into a gapping goal to make it 2-0 I feared we may live to rue it. However on this occasion we finished the game well and ran out comfortable winners. Big difference I can see already is that we looked more secure and organised at the back - under Reid we often shipped crucial goals despite playing well. So a good solid start for our new manager but as he said himself after the game we far from out of trouble yet.

Belford 7 - didn't have a lot to do but coped comfortably when called upon

Robertson 8 - good solid committed performance

Dick 7 - steady as per usual

Barron 8 - quality player when fit and showed it again today

Neill 7 - one slip up nearly cost us but otherwise had a good game

Bell 8 - back in his favoured position and strolled through the game

Gibson 7 - as expected some quality moments

Donald 6 - don't agree with comments that he had a really good game - if he puts in that performance and we lose folk would be criticising. Unfair to make early judgements but based purely on what I saw yesterday wouldn't play him before McGuigan or Wilson and certainly wouldn't start him before Turner.

Thomson 6 - put a shift in

Agnew 7 - apart from the glaring chance that he missed I thought he had a good game - a lot of the play went through him.

Malcolm 7 - Worked hard and can't complain about any striker that scores two goals.

SUBS

Turner 8 - added a spark when he came on and in my opinion should be in the starting line up

McGuigan 7 - added a bit of pace to our attacks 

Wilson - wasn't on long enough to give a rating but wouldn't be adverse to seeing him starting games       

12 hours ago, Blue1870 said:

Oh and btw belford didnt make a great save. It was robbo heading it away from the volley. Youll see it during the highlights later in week.

Ah , okay , we were at opposite end and some , myself include , thought it was a save but others thought a header , well done robbo in that case it looked to be on target 

Good solid performance from the blues with very few failures if any.The team seemed to have confidence after the previous manager left and Malcolm scoring his first goal since October was good to see.I agree with Tucker I would have played Kyle Turner before Mickey Donald,but the manager seems to have gone with experience and the young starlet will get his place back in I'm sure.I was amazed that A R manager took off Gary Fisher,probably their best midfield player and after he went off Rovers were never in the game.At this stage of the season last season we were 8 points off a promotion play off place,guess what,8 points off a promotion play off place today,still loads to do but the comeback is on.

11 hours ago, tuckersloan said:

In the end a very good win. First half wasn't great to watch but Stranraer the better team. Albion Rovers had a period where they threatened to get back on level terms and when Agnew somehow elected not to take the easy option and simply tap the ball into a gapping goal to make it 2-0 I feared we may live to rue it. However on this occasion we finished the game well and ran out comfortable winners. Big difference I can see already is that we looked more secure and organised at the back - under Reid we often shipped crucial goals despite playing well. So a good solid start for our new manager but as he said himself after the game we far from out of trouble yet.

Belford 7 - didn't have a lot to do but coped comfortably when called upon

Robertson 8 - good solid committed performance

Dick 7 - steady as per usual

Barron 8 - quality player when fit and showed it again today

Neill 7 - one slip up nearly cost us but otherwise had a good game

Bell 8 - back in his favoured position and strolled through the game

Gibson 7 - as expected some quality moments

Donald 6 - don't agree with comments that he had a really good game - if he puts in that performance and we lose folk would be criticising. Unfair to make early judgements but based purely on what I saw yesterday wouldn't play him before McGuigan or Wilson and certainly wouldn't start him before Turner.

Thomson 6 - put a shift in

Agnew 7 - apart from the glaring chance that he missed I thought he had a good game - a lot of the play went through him.

Malcolm 7 - Worked hard and can't complain about any striker that scores two goals.

SUBS

Turner 8 - added a spark when he came on and in my opinion should be in the starting line up

McGuigan 7 - added a bit of pace to our attacks 

Wilson - wasn't on long enough to give a rating but wouldn't be adverse to seeing him starting games       

In my opinion Aggy Def a 8, MOM from both teams.

Yes, if we'd equalised at that point, described above, it could have been different. I thought Fisher had a poor game. Lots of aggression but he never laid a glove on wee Agnew who ran the midfield. By the way, your manager, with whom I am not familiar, speaks very well - interviews seen on YouTube.

Yes, if we'd equalised at that point, described above, it could have been different. I thought Fisher had a poor game. Lots of aggression but he never laid a glove on wee Agnew who ran the midfield. By the way, your manager, with whom I am not familiar, speaks very well - interviews seen on YouTube.

Not like Fisher to have a poor game. General rule of thumb I've found is that if he plays well we have a strong chance of getting a result, makes sense that this should swing in the opposite direction too I suppose

25 minutes ago, sam2304 said:

Not like Fisher to have a poor game. General rule of thumb I've found is that if he plays well we have a strong chance of getting a result, makes sense that this should swing in the opposite direction too I suppose

Just offering my opinion, Sam. Most Rovers fans were disgruntled to see him withdrawn after an hour but I thought he wasn't getting close enough to their creative players, Agnew in particular. Mick Dunlop had severe and loud verbals with him in the first half. We went 4-4-2 bringing on Ferguson, but we were seriously weaker than them in midfield. Ryan Thomson was also good in a holding position, though untroubled by our attacking midfielders. Stranraer don't look like a team to be relegated which is worrying for us, I say.

Archived