East fife vs Queens Park

Strange game.  All the changes, and the absence of McGeever, were going to make it a challenge.  Dreadful start for us when we couldn't clear the lines, then two terrific goals.  EF come back really strongly in the second half, but we defended well to keep them out.  Then, at the death, the best chance of the game falls to Orsi that would have won it.

Wharton again superb, and Zannetti continued where he left off.  He was left too much on his own too often, though.  I'm sure that Gus will sort that out.

Possibly too many changes, although the loan guys did very well.  We'll need a couple of games to bed in.  EF played very well, and certainly looked like a side on a good run.  We had to deal with an inordinate number of crosses and, on another day, we'd pay for that.  I'd say that was a point gained and we could, and should, have stolen it at the end.

Ref was all over the shop too.  Yip, there was a foul before our first goal and I'd like to see if there was a hint of offside for EF's second.  I thought that Duggan played very well for them, but he'll be great this week and petulant next week. 

The park was "challenging".

Yes you are right. We were very lucky to escape with a point, and 2-0 at half time didn't really reflect the play.
However I know what he means: I've watched QP dominate possession and pass the ball around without any end result long enough. Protecting a two goal advantage should be straightforward for us.
I've no idea what we were trying to do in the second half. No attempt at passing football, just playing the ball to the far touchline whether anyone was there or not!
We were there for the taking yesterday and EF didn't / couldn't take full advantage.
Some encourgaing additions to the squad and hopefully McGeever and a few training sessions will bring the organisation back!

Wasn't our best performance yesterday but for how well East Fife played, I still feel like it was 2 points dropped just purely because we were 2-0 up at halftime and that we missed a sitter right at the end although it didn't reflect the 1st half in the slightest. Zanatta, Orsi and Docherty all played well so that bodes well for the rest of the season. Wasn't particularly convinced by Mcilduff. Positional sense all over the place and was at fault for EF 1st goal with a dreadful headed clearance. Would like to see Sean Burns back next week. Was very impressed by East Fife, you can see they're a team playing with confidence and wouldn't be surprised to see them in the play offs come the end of the season. 

4 hours ago, Angusfifer said:

Two points lost! Really? From a QP point of view surely that was a point gained, given how much East Fife were on top throughout the game...

From your seat you'll rightly feel EF took the game to Queen's. From my seat, we sat deep and invited it. 2-0 up at half time and well on top, we only had it to lose. Of our back line, one was a U-20 loan making his debut, another just back from long-term injury and a full back playing centre-half. If we had set our back line 20 metres higher and allowed our midfielders to carry the ball, like they did in the last 15 minutes, your second half would have been very different. Well done for making the most of it though. 

13 minutes ago, qpfc said:

Wasn't particularly convinced by Mcilduff. Positional sense all over the place and was at fault for EF 1st goal with a dreadful headed clearance. 

Looks like a player but the pace and intensity looked to overwhelm him. I'm sure he'll pick up the tempo though. I'd have switched Mitchell over there though and took the youngster off. Mitchell had a good game and knows how to channel well. The Fife right-back must have thought his birthday had come early the amount of time and space he was getting.

Orsi's miss; he was only on the park 10 minutes. My take on it was it was great to see a thinking striker who can find himself space in the box and face the goal rather than wrestling with defenders. He'll score a few for us this season.

Also thought Docherty looked handy with some telling interceptions and passes. All the new signings look worthy and if allowed to play to their strengths our prospects look good.

What about that EF top!!!  Black and gold stripes are one of the classic designs for football tops, but what has been done to the Fifers' strip should be a hanging offence.

What's wrong with it? We've worn gold with black pinstripes plenty times before. I'd rather have had the stripes on the back as well, and maybe gold sleeves instead of black, but there are a lot worse kits around. At least we're not wearing grey shorts... [emoji6]

Strange feeling of disappointment mixed with relief afterwards

Disappointment at throwing away a 2 goal lead but also because we can play so much better. Relief that East Fife only managed 2 goals for all their dominance, mainly due to Willie Muir.  Our two goals were nicely worked and finished mind you and ridiculously we should have stolen the win at the end. I suppose it says something about this side’s character that we can still get a point from a game where we were outplayed for long spells by a team on a terrific run of form.

Was so glad to see Duggan go off. Great player when he is fit and up for it and he was right up for it on Saturday. Not the first time he’s scored a goal like that at Hampden either.

Apart from Muir, Zanatta stood out a mile for us. Looks even better since last time. Thought McIlduff had a bang average game but early days. It was worrying how much space they got down their right side. Hopefully McGeever will return next week and Millen will be back on our right ( Mitchell always works hard but we need more) Millen also had a good game on Saturday, reckon that lad can play well anywhere he’s asked to.  Docherty didn’t see that much of the ball for a while after he came on but he looked tidy when he did and nearly set up the winner. Orsi will know he should have scored but I would have liked to have seen him on earlier   

1 hour ago, King Kebab said:

Enjoy the EFTV Match Highlights!!!

Great highlights. Loving the passion in the commentary. Reminds me of our QPTV ex-commentator who sadly passed away a few years ago   

Another cracking game, that's two in a row at Hampden, surely won't catch on!

Think we were fortunate over the piece to get a point but we should have nicked it at the end, great chance for Orsi and he had to bury it. In the long run, probably best he didn't put it away considering the long line of rank QP strikers who somehow managed to score on their Hampden debut!

We looked ropey at the back in the first half, with McIlduff in particular taking a bit of pasting. It was the shakiest performance we've seen from Cummins so far and Wharton was his usual hot and cold self. Outstanding block one minute, then he punts a 60 yard ball straight out of play!

What a difference it was having a player like Zanatta who can hold the ball and efficiently relieve pressure for the rest of the team. Great work for both goals, think he can be the difference for us between now and May. Anton Brady was excellent too and very surprised he was taken off so early.

Despite the two goal lead, it never felt comfortable and wasn't surprised that EF came back to draw, they look a very decent side.  Some excellent play going forward and they will have feel they should have won the game comfortably.

Regarding the loan debutants, was impressed by Docherty off the bench and Orsi looked busy, if not of the standard of Zanatta. Not impressed by McIlduff as above, EF's right back saw lots of the ball and he never really looked like competing.

19 hours ago, Forest_Fifer said:

What's wrong with it? We've worn gold with black pinstripes plenty times before. I'd rather have had the stripes on the back as well, and maybe gold sleeves instead of black, but there are a lot worse kits around. At least we're not wearing grey shorts... emoji6.png

So...other than no stripes on the back and the sleeves, it's fine. Not exactly a ringing endorsement.

There are indeed worse strips around, but not many. As I said, gold and black stripes is a classic. This is pretty pish.

So...other than no stripes on the back and the sleeves, it's fine. Not exactly a ringing endorsement.
There are indeed worse strips around, but not many. As I said, gold and black stripes is a classic. This is pretty pish.

I'd take it any day over that strip your shower are sporting [emoji57]

It's a strange game where you come back from 2-0 down at half time and feel disappointed not to take all 3 points. I'd have taken a point beforehand and it does stretch our unbeaten run to 11 games so can't really grumble and results elsewhere were more or less decent.

Only going from the highlights but Duggan looked class and it's good to hear Watt impressed on his debut. 

Also, I quite like our strip. I'd prefer stripes on the back as well though.

Fuck it, may as well join in......I like our dark blue top but not the grey shorts. Nothing beats the black and white hoops though so we better go back to it after these 150th celebrations are over. East Fife top looks fine to me but I couldn’t care less to be honest.

Archived