A thread to mark the points when things become mathematically certain. 

Early days yet but last nights win over Aberdeen put Celtic 47 points clear of 11th place Hamilton with only 45 points left to play for so the Bhoys have now officially escaped relegation (or should that be rhelegation) yet again.

By the same token Hamilton have to accept that their title challenge is now officially over after they themselved finishing Inverness' title dreams last weekend

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

Celtic were safe from relegation a while ago as they were far enough ahead of the bottom 6 they couldn't finish below 6th at the split after 33 games. 

Good point

Now I've got to find out when that happened

I'm surprised there wasn't more fuss made at the time

Keith Lasley recently made his 400th league appearance for Motherwell.  He also passed the 500th total appearance mark earlier in the season.

Pretty sure I saw Keith Lasley buying some kind of muffin 2-pack or other cakery type product in the Morrisons petrol station in Easterhouse yesterday.

Probably pass by footballers all the time and would never notice but the silver fox beaut that Lasley is caught the eye.

3 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Good point

Now I've got to find out when that happened

I'm surprised there wasn't more fuss made at the time

I've got a feeling it was after beating Accies away

On a related note, whats the "usual" points tally of the team in 6th at the time of the split?

Intrigued to see if the ultra competitive nature this season will see a much lower total needed.

With Rangers losing on Wednesday and Aberdeen losing to Celtic, Celtic are 25 points clear of Rangers in 2nd and 27 clear of Aberdeen who have a game in hand. So if my arithmetic is right then Celtic could clinch the title on 12th March at home to Rangers if Celtic gain 3 points on Rangers in the 4 games before then and 4 points on Aberdeen.

So if you assume Celtic win all 4 games, Aberdeen and Rangers would just need to draw twice by then for Celtic to be able to clinch it at the Old Firm game.

Surely this would be the earliest a team has ever clinched the title?

On a related note, whats the "usual" points tally of the team in 6th at the time of the split?

Intrigued to see if the ultra competitive nature this season will see a much lower total needed.

I think 44 is the bench mark for top 6, although it has been a bit higher/lower on occasion.

With Rangers losing on Wednesday and Aberdeen losing to Celtic, Celtic are 25 points clear of Rangers in 2nd and 27 clear of Aberdeen who have a game in hand. So if my arithmetic is right then Celtic could clinch the title on 12th March at home to Rangers if Celtic gain 3 points on Rangers in the 4 games before then and 4 points on Aberdeen.
So if you assume Celtic win all 4 games, Aberdeen and Rangers would just need to draw twice by then for Celtic to be able to clinch it at the Old Firm game.

Aberdeen will play 6 games before the old firm and i believe we need them to drop 7 points to win the league that day. Rangers to drop 3. That's assuming we win our next 4 games as well

1 hour ago, irvine_buddie said:

The earliest date the title has ever been won was 17th December - that was back in 1898/99 when the season finished in early January.  That was achieved with 4 games out of 18 remaining, which is 22.2% of the season.  To beat that, Celtic would have to win the title with 9 or more games to play.

Motherwell have just reached a significant milestone, having taken 500,000 shite, hesitant throw-ins since I started watching them. There's no team in top-flight history can match our record of giving the ball back to the opposition after a heavy first touch.