Hypothetical Question re players wages

The Ilford Drummer

54 minutes ago, The Ilford Drummer said:

Assume a player gets injured early in season, makes it along to training though for example treatment light workouts, turns up on a Saturday at game.

How long do you pay full wages for, 3mths, 6mths, the full season?

A lot of clubs and players have insurance to cover this - but would like to think that a club would cover any players (football) wages if they were injured playing.

I suppose there will be some basic legal requirement although I have no idea what that is. Beyond that it probably depends on the club, the player, details of the player's contract and insurance. I'm not sure what "full wages" would mean anyway - I'm guessing a lot of contracts have appearance and performance related clauses so establishing the base line of "full wages" might be a problem in some cases.

The basic player insurance that every club in membership of the SJFA must have pays the player £50 a week after a 2 week excess period and is only payable if the player is not receiving company sick pay from his employer rather than just SSP.

Would have thought clubs would be required to pay basic wages (not including any playing related bonuses) based upon the type of contract the players has signed with the club. Heard in time gone by that some clubs have used the "dirty tactics" approach, by not paying the player and once contacted by SJFA to resolve dispute, the club take the option to release the player, rather than pay outstanding wages and keep player.

On a positive note, there are some loyal clubs out there, who go the extra mile and pay for the players operation, scans, etc - and still pay the players wages. Not may clubs could afford to do such a thing now a days, but also heard of supporters clubs arranging fund raising nights to support the player with treatments/rehab.

57 minutes ago, Northboy said:

I suppose there will be some basic legal requirement although I have no idea what that is. Beyond that it probably depends on the club, the player, details of the player's contract and insurance. I'm not sure what "full wages" would mean anyway - I'm guessing a lot of contracts have appearance and performance related clauses so establishing the base line of "full wages" might be a problem in some cases.

The only two instances I know of where a player must be paid his wages when he is unable to play are, according to the official contract form that clubs use, if he is suspended (but not for breach of contract) and if the game/training etc is held on a Sunday.

If think its tough on clubs to pay the wages through the period of injury when main employers don't do this, surely a compromise is sensible, maybe some guidance from SJFA would help rather than individual clubs doing different things, that way all players,no matter who they sign for know the score.

2 hours ago, Brig O'Lea said:

The basic player insurance that every club in membership of the SJFA must have pays the player £50 a week after a 2 week excess period and is only payable if the player is not receiving company sick pay from his employer rather than just SSP.

Thing is though, the player doesn't actually get the insurance money until he returns to work and therefor finished with the claim. Strange way of working it. 

Archived