Emigration

ICTChris

8 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:

My parents have a retirement flat in Benidorm, surprisingly good if you keep away from the British quarter.

That's where I'd have gone if I'd had the money.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Planning to buy a property on Fuerteventura this year depending on late father in laws house selling. Ideal scenario in a few years time would be 8 months there over autumn to spring and 4 months here in summer.

^^^ Kens the score. Keep to the 'cities' or thereabouts so there's a bit of life in the off season and I reckon you've near enough nailed it.

Heaven (EH7)

To dream right next to my team;

To fight the ***beatable foe:

The Bears with unbearable sorrow;

To roam where their Hampden graves grow.

Or, if I have to go abroad, I would like to become the Sheikh of Djibouti before settling down in the Virgin Islands. #ParaParaParadise

I don't think of it as emigrating but I've lived in Hong Kong and am now in the Philippines. Two very different places, one expensive to live but with plenty going on and the other the opposite. If i was to leave the Philippines it would probably be to go back to work for another few years in Hong Kong.

13 hours ago, NewBornBairn said:

Florida would be too hot for me. I was there in January and it was 100 degrees (OK, that was Key West).

Mmm - Hottest temperature ever in Key West is 97 in 1956 - I was there three weeks ago during the winter break and it was very nice mid seventies to low eighties, which is the norm for that time of year. 

26 minutes ago, davidy233 said:

Mmm - Hottest temperature ever in Key West is 97 in 1956 - I was there three weeks ago during the winter break and it was very nice mid seventies to low eighties, which is the norm for that time of year. 

Ha - car thermometers may not be so accurate then! 

Germany would probably be a good middle ground between here and the UK. I could get by with the language and the people are a more outgoing than the Swiss. Could probably find work in Frankfurt easy enough if I really wanted to.

Although I'm hardly Scottish, I would move to Singapore, in part due having lived there for 6 months last year. Sure, the weather is awful (35 degrees and ridiculously humid) and the government a bit strict (chewing gum outlawed, canings as punishment for graffiti, death sentences for drug transgressions), but the people are wonderful, the food delicious and varied, and the football scene, while decidedly worse off than the Dutch and Scottish ones, is incredibly interesting. Everyone speaks English, public transit is cheap and efficient, and you can easily travel to anywhere in South East Asia. Highly recommended for a holiday or extended layover.

Very difficult to get in to permanently and unbelievably expensive. The tax and permits for cars is horrendous, £70k for a toyota corolla Altis and over £100k for a more desirable car. Car tax of £4k a year. Just overall far too expensive. If it wasn't for the baby, I'd be away from here like a shot. But it is an okay place to live, if not a little boring.

Best two countries I've lived in have been Hungary and Vietnam and would happily move back to either, with Vietnam getting the edge.

Cambodia would also be high in my list. For Europe, all things considered and it with Hungary is say Germany, Poland or Spain.

Archived