Emigration

ICTChris

Florida would be too hot for me. I was there in January and it was 100 degrees (OK, that was Key West).

Further up the coast like Carolina looks and sounds like a lovely place with good weather and scenery.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although I'm hardly Scottish, I would move to Singapore, in part due having lived there for 6 months last year. Sure, the weather is awful (35 degrees and ridiculously humid) and the government a bit strict (chewing gum outlawed, canings as punishment for graffiti, death sentences for drug transgressions), but the people are wonderful, the food delicious and varied, and the football scene, while decidedly worse off than the Dutch and Scottish ones, is incredibly interesting. Everyone speaks English, public transit is cheap and efficient, and you can easily travel to anywhere in South East Asia. Highly recommended for a holiday or extended layover.

1 hour ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Tristan da Cunha... the most remote island in the world. 275 people live there and the capital's called Edinburgh (of the Seven Seas). Can't imagine there's many jobs there for a person like me, but if I showed them wizardry like my mobile phone and dental floss, they'd probably make me a god or something. 

.. or if you found a cure for Asthma.  The majority of islanders have it.  There is a BBC documentary about Asthma Island.

Oh, and there are only seven surnames.

1 hour ago, NewBornBairn said:

Savannah, Georgia. Brilliant place and great people.

Never dropped below 80F at the end of November a few years back, with a gentle breeze. Think I'd prefer Vancouver though.

8 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:

Apparently the place in the world with the perfect climate is Ascension Island. Not too hot in the summer, not too cold in the winter but recognisable seasons. Not overly wet or dry.  

A record high of 32 degrees, record low of 17 degrees and on average only 7 inches of rain a year.  Sounds perfect.

13 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:

Apparently the place in the world with the perfect climate is Ascension Island. Not too hot in the summer, not too cold in the winter but recognisable seasons. Not overly wet or dry.  

It's not wet at all. They have serious water issues.

It'd definitely need to be a city, couldn't stand being out in the sticks and needing to drive everywhere. 

New York definitely appeals but wouldn't want to live there for a long period of time. I think it'd wear me down and seems like a young man's game over there.

If I spoke the language could definitely see myself in Germany, Munich or Hamburg would be class.

In saying that, this will sound unbelievably small minded, but the central belt of Scotland is ideal for me. Everything I could want day to day is here and the patter is unrivaled anywhere on Earth. I like going on holiday numerous times a year and it is a great base to go cheap trips to different European destinations as well as the proximity to London if I want to go further afield.

Greenland looks really interesting and there are some stunning landscapes. I'm going to make a point of at least trying to visit sometime.

I think it has one of the highest suicide rates in the world, largely based on alcoholism, so you'd at least have plenty of good funerals to go to.

Probably south of France. Have travelled extensively i France and Germany and fairly fluent in both.

Before my wife took ill 2 years ago we were spending about 2 months/year in Nice. Now that she is on the mend will maybe revive that?

It's on the Med. so you have the weather, can get into the country easily and it's a big enough city to have all the cultural stuff.

Wouldn't cut all ties with here though!

2 hours ago, ICTChris said:

If you had to emigrate where would you go?

I'd like to go to Cyprus, either part.  I've spent loads of time there and love it, love the pace of life, the food.  I might end up getting a bit bored although I'd certainly give it a shot.

Here's a list of places that British citizens have emigrated to

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_diaspora#British_people_by_country

Where would P&Bers like to emigrate to?

Where do ex-pat P&Bers live?

Where is the most obscure destination that a P&Ber has emigrated to?

Netherlands.

Archived