Emigration

ICTChris

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/1/2017 at 10:40, Miguel Sanchez said:

If I was forced to leave here I'd need Shotgun to get me a job.

I need a butler. The hours would be long and the pay shite but weed's legal here so swings and roundabouts, eh?

It's worth pointing out that visiting a place on holiday doesn't really give a good idea of what it would be like to live and work there. Lying on the beach or visiting Disney World during the day then whooping it up in the pubs and clubs each night might seem like a great life. It's vastly different when you're sitting in an office for hours each day with a long commute at either end, dealing with the day to day realities, which are much the same everywhere. It would also be very depressing once the reality sets in that everyone else is on their holidays and you aren't. One of the reasons imo, why so many emigrants end up heading home after a few years. Take a look at any Expat forum and see how much of the discussion centres around "How can I watch Eastenders here?" and "Where can I find a decent English pub?" A lot of people think they'll be enjoying the best parts of life at home but just with better weather.

All that said - life is short and there are no rules which say we should spend our entire lives in the same small area. If your job, family commitments and/or bank balance allow for it, I'd recommend everyone spend at least part of their lives living in and getting to know another culture. If you have kids, I would think that would be a great gift to give them.  

I need a butler. The hours would be long and the pay shite but weed's legal here so swings and roundabouts, eh?

It's worth pointing out that visiting a place on holiday doesn't really give a good idea of what it would be like to live and work there. Lying on the beach or visiting Disney World during the day then whooping it up in the pubs and clubs each night might seem like a great life. It's vastly different when you're sitting in an office for hours each day with a long commute at either end, dealing with the day to day realities, which are much the same everywhere. It would also be very depressing once the reality sets in that everyone else is on their holidays and you aren't. One of the reasons imo, why so many emigrants end up heading home after a few years. Take a look at any Expat forum and see how much of the discussion centres around "How can I watch Eastenders here?" and "Where can I find a decent English pub?" A lot of people think they'll be enjoying the best parts of life at home but just with better weather.
All that said - life is short and there are no rules which say we should spend our entire lives in the same small area. If your job, family commitments and/or bank balance allow for it, I'd recommend everyone spend at least part of their lives living in and getting to know another culture. If you have kids, I would think that would be a great gift to give them.  

This is 100% true. The dream and reality are so much different. I suppose it will vary depending where you end up, but generally expat life is considerably more difficult and stressful than living at home although it can also be more rewarding.

If you can get through the first year away, any homesickness will subside (but never go away). If your not prepared to give up everything at home, you probably shouldn't consider doing emigrating. If you can, you should definitely go for it.

If you stay in a country that you don't speak or know little off the language, even the simplest of tasks can be a nightmare at the start. When I lived in Hungary at first and couldn't speak Hungarian, every week we would play 'shopping roulette' guessing what the hell we were buying. Even my first foray into learning the language had me buying a sack of potatoes instead of a bag as I mixed up my Hungarian.

It takes a lot of effort but once you get over the initial hurdles and throw yourself into local life it can be great.

Been away 13 years now, have been home once in the last 8 years and have no intention of returning unless circumstances dictate I have to.

This place is my only constant to home, but I hardly ever venture to the football side of the forum now and generally read GN for a snapshot of home and the travel forum is the most interesting now.

Living in the French Alps is pretty cool. Mountains and lakes, like Scotland, but with hot summers and snowy winters. Very touristy, though, and lots of French retire here. I'd quite fancy somewhere like Eugene, Oregon. Great scenery, laid-back and liberal people, and you can drive to San Francisco in a day.

1 hour ago, Duszek said:

Living in the French Alps is pretty cool. Mountains and lakes, like Scotland, but with hot summers and snowy winters. Very touristy, though, and lots of French retire here. I'd quite fancy somewhere like Eugene, Oregon. Great scenery, laid-back and liberal people, and you can drive to San Francisco in a day.

Eugene Oregon is where they filmed Kindergarten Cop.

I came across a short review of the place:

http://pages.uoregon.edu/ocomment/ocarchive/oc98_99/oc11_12_98_16.html

19 hours ago, Fullerene said:

Eugene Oregon is where they filmed Kindergarten Cop.

I came across a short review of the place:

http://pages.uoregon.edu/ocomment/ocarchive/oc98_99/oc11_12_98_16.html

"Living in Eugene is like living in a vortex where dogs are cats, up means down and time has no meaning."

If anything, it's gone up in my estimation.

On 01/02/2017 at 16:51, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Tristan da Cunha. 275 people live there and the capital's called Edinburgh (of the Seven Seas). Can't imagine there's many jobs there for a person like me, but if I showed them wizardry like my mobile phone and dental floss, they'd probably make me a god or something. 

So basically Tristan da Cunha is the same as Canna but with 257 more people.

Archived