Emigration

ICTChris

If you had to emigrate where would you go?

I'd like to go to Cyprus, either part.  I've spent loads of time there and love it, love the pace of life, the food.  I might end up getting a bit bored although I'd certainly give it a shot.

Here's a list of places that British citizens have emigrated to

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_diaspora#British_people_by_country

Where would P&Bers like to emigrate to?

Where do ex-pat P&Bers live?

Where is the most obscure destination that a P&Ber has emigrated to?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having grown up near Dunfermline, lots of places are appealing. Once the kid finishes school me and the missus fancy travelling for a few years. Keep a place here but spend some time in London, a while in New York, get some sun in Mallorca. Really is hard to beat Scotland for nice places to live and visit though. So easy to overlook what we have on our doorstep. 

Oh and I have been thinking of moving to Germany or Austria for a few years now. We both really love it over there and have friends in Munich so that would be our most likely destination.

Tristan da Cunha... the most remote island in the world. 275 people live there and the capital's called Edinburgh (of the Seven Seas). Can't imagine there's many jobs there for a person like me, but if I showed them wizardry like my mobile phone and dental floss, they'd probably make me a god or something. 

Quelle surprises. A Partick fan choosing a tax haven, a Cardinal going somewhere he can convert the locals, a Jambo heading to the Fatherland, A Dons "no team" Bishopmill fan heading somewhere with 87% livestock ownership and a Pars fan just happy to escape Dunfermline. 

It mostly comes down to whether or not i win the lottery as I don't think i could be as well off anywhere else as I could be in Scotland.

Loved Australia even though its somewhat ruined by the people but think its too far away from home and I would get homesick when things like Hibs winning the Scottish cup happened and if i was just doing a relatively normal job the only real difference in my life would be the weather.

Would probably emigrate to Spain though if i had to chose anywhere and if i got homesick i am just a 2 hour flight away. 

4 minutes ago, smpar said:

New York has appealed to me for a while. I'd probably end up hating it though.

I had always dreamt of living there but unless you are in a very well paid job i doubt it would be worth it, probably much similar to the situations for millions in London. 

I would like to emigrate to Canada maybe. Lived there before for a short while before and itching to return. It's not too far away from home and it's got everything I like - mountains, lakes, trees and wildlife.

New Zealand is also brilliant but it's just so far away from everything. You really don't appreciate how close we are to other cultures until you've been to somewhere like there.

If you had to emigrate where would you go?
I'd like to go to Cyprus, either part.  I've spent loads of time there and love it, love the pace of life, the food.  I might end up getting a bit bored although I'd certainly give it a shot.
Here's a list of places that British citizens have emigrated to
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_diaspora#British_people_by_country
Where would P&Bers like to emigrate to?
Where do ex-pat P&Bers live?
Where is the most obscure destination that a P&Ber has emigrated to?

Former workmate moved out to Cyprus with his missus after he retired, he had gone there on holiday lots of times and loved the place, but he only lasted 9 months before they came back. Few reasons which maybe wouldn't apply to yourself, but one of the biggest was missing his grandkids. He also found it a to be a very different place in the winter than it was in summer, and found it hard to have a decent social life.

26 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

Would probably like to emigrate to Florida for the weather and the way of life.  However Italy is also a place I love. Beautiful country with amazing food.

^^^ 'Florida Man' 2.0

Archived